Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm not interested in reading hearsay by some former employee who claims Trump made a racist comment, with no way to back it up other than his word.

Besides that, I limited the scope to things he's said and done during this campaign.... What has he said or done during this campaign that was racist? We already covered the Judge, what else? If Trump's the fog-horn racist that people are claiming, it shouldn't be too hard to cite some blatantly racist comments of his...

More like it denotes a birth year, or even just some randomly selected number because the name "WhipperSnapper" by itself was unavailable, though I wouldn't expect the eminently more plausible and likely explanation to occur to a Liberal for whom racial motivations are the first and only explanation for everything in life.

Ever see that movie "The Number 23" with Jim Carrey where he starts seeing the number 23 in everything; license plates, addresses, street signs, to the point that it takes over his life and he ends up going insane...? That's Liberals and racism. They frantically search for it. To a Liberal, every pattern evinces a design of racism that just has to be uncovered.
The original and correct meaning of "racism" has long been swept into the dust bin of history. Today "racism" is anything a liberal wants it to be.

If you don't like Obama's policies and the direction he has taken the country - it's racism.

If you want to vet immigrants and make sure they have to no ties to terrorism - it's racism.

If you want to keep out criminals by securing our borders - it's racism.

If a teacher sees a device brought to school by a student that has wires and looks like it could be a bomb and then reports it to the police - it's racism but only if the student is Muslim.

If you want to end sanctuary cities that offer a place of safety to criminal illegal immigrants - it's racism.

If you think all human life matters and not just black lives - it's racism.

The examples are endless....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
A little Trump/Birther history ...

Seth Meyers Just Released A Compilation Video Of Trump Doing This One Thing, This Is Awesome – Liberal Society

Old 10-01-2016, 11:07 AM

720 posts, read 500,735 times
Here's are my thoughts on the birtherism (non) issue: I think it's a way for the media to smear the right-wing as racists and defend Obama and Hillary from negative press.

Even though I've never been a fan of Obama (politically speaking), I've never thought there was anything to the birther rumors. I basically found out he was born in Hawaii around the same time I found out his father was Kenyan. But if I recall back in 2008, the first person to talk slick about the birther rumors was Hillary, just like she would make snide comments when someone would ask if he was a Muslim. I distinctly remember her saying something to the effect of, "you'll have to ask him where he was born" back when she was running against him in 2008.

And she pushed the Democratic primary all the way to the convention, well beyond the point she had any chance of winning, because she did not want Obama to win.

So why is she allowed to act all buddy-buddy with him now while Republicans have to "answer for" birtherism? Or, better yet, why does anyone in 2016 have to answer for mean things they said about Obama? He's was elected and re-elected President. He's a grown ass man. Rumors, gossip, criticism (fair and unfair) kind of comes with the job, and I'm sorry, but President Obama has less to complain about regarding mistreatment in the media than any other President in history.

For years, many Democrats have believed George W. Bush had something to do with 9/11. How many times have Democrats had to seriously address 9/11 conspiracy theories, especially just for the sake of quasi-defending Bush? If anything, they have been allowed to quietly pander to it by pretending they were lied to by the Bush Administration with respect to the initial invasion of Iraq, even though many of them voted for it -- including Hillary Clinton. (Sidebar: it's interesting Lester Holt asked Trump about his initial support of the Iraq War when Trump, at the time, was a private citizen, but he didn't press Hillary on actual her support of it as a voting member of the Senate)

And yet, every Republican who ran for President in 2012 was asked about birtherism and every one of them gave some form of rebuke to the rumor. Trump was the first (and with the slight exception of Sarah Palin, the only) person not to duck the implication embedded in the question, so he suggested Obama had something to hide which is why he hasn't released his birth certificate. It caused a bunch of controversy, but Obama did release his birth certificate.

I don't blame Trump because I feel like the media were trying to brow-beat Republicans with it, and Trump stood up to them by being willing to look like a jerk for the sake of making the point many people were scared to make. Because the bad joke of this entire thing is the mainstream media -- who always make sure to dismiss birtherism as racist nonsense, yet remain fascinated by its existence -- have kept it a trending topic for the duration of Obama's Presidency, not the actual birthers.

And to top it all off -- and this has been known for awhile now -- it was one of Hillary's campaign surrogates who started this entire rumor. Sid Blumenthal was going around to major media outlets peddling this story that Obama wasn't born in this country, and it was taken seriously to the point where someone with the McClatchy Group went to Kenya to try and find his original birth certificate.

This whole thing is just another way to keep low-information and independent voters thinking of Republicans as the Bad Guys of politics while Democrats can do dirt behind the scenes, but present themselves as the tolerant, caring party of the people. The bottom line is, if you want something not to be an issue, start by shutting up about it yourself.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
But if I recall back in 2008, the first person to talk slick about the birther rumors was Hillary,....
altho there were clinton supporters among the early birthers ( notably the PUMAs and phil berg ) there is nothing connecting clinton or her campaign to birtherism.

Quote:
And to top it all off -- and this has been known for awhile now -- it was one of Hillary's campaign surrogates who started this entire rumor. Sid Blumenthal was going around to major media outlets peddling this story that Obama wasn't born in this country,....
there is no evidence to support this claim. james asher ( mcclatchy group ) is the only one claiming that blumenthal approached him to look into birtherism, blumenthal denies this. the emails between the two from this time, that asher released, do not support asher's claim. in those emails blumenthal encouraged asher to look into obama's kenyan family, not that he was born in kenya.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
altho there were clinton supporters among the early birthers ( notably the PUMAs and phil berg ) there is nothing connecting clinton or her campaign to birtherism.

there is no evidence to support this claim. james asher ( mcclatchy group ) is the only one claiming that blumenthal approached him to look into birtherism, blumenthal denies this. the emails between the two from this time, that asher released, do not support asher's claim. in those emails blumenthal encouraged asher to look into obama's kenyan family, not that he was born in kenya.
Hmmm, now how do I get something done without looking like I am doing it???? Brought to you by the Clinton network/machine...

Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM

720 posts, read 500,735 times
Quote:

That's a nice answer if you're a defense lawyer arguing for your client's innocence, but since nobody's on trial, we can be adults and acknowledge what's plainly obvious.

Sid Blumenthal has been a top aide to both Bill and Hillary for decades. He went to someone in the media to try and get traction for the "Obama is a Kenyan" angle to make Hillary look more "American". It was decided that it's better for Hillary's future electoral prospects to play nice with Obama once she realized she had no path to the Democratic nomination in 2008. Once the race came down to Obama against McCain, that's when the media wanted to talk about all the scurrilous rumors plaguing Obama, including belief that he's a Muslim (which Hillary half-heartedly denied when asked in 2008) and the idea that he wasn't born in this country. When it was just an angle, of sorts, being peddled by Hillary's surrogates and supporters, they weren't really interested because there was nothing there. But when they can circulate a poll saying 42% of Republicans believe in birther rumors, all of a sudden it's news.

Of course nobody involved is going to admit their hands are dirty. This isn't an episode of Law & Order. But people who want to centralize birtherism around Trump because he was the only one with the balls to go somewhere other than panicked denial of the rumor need to give me a break. Hillary's hands are hardly clean.

If nothing else, the connections Hillary surrogates had to this rumor in its earliest iterations should be held accountable. Not so much as an indictment on her as much as it is not letting Hillary act like she's running a respectable campaign while Trump is down in the gutter. She's not above dirty politics herself; she's just better at keeping her hands clean.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
There have been literally scores of birther threads since Obama first ran in the primaries. I felt there was some good reason to investigate as there had been references to Obama in the press as being born in Kenya. However, once those were resolved, I think the issue should have been dropped, especially following Obama's release of his "long-form" birth certificate. It's hard to pin this on racism, but it's also hard to understand just what drove some of these birther posters to go on and on about all sorts of minutia, claiming the Hawaii certificate was a fake, a forgery, not a "real" BC because it was called a "certificate of live birth", yada, yada, yada, even though the Republican governor of Hawaii vouched for it. Many times over I posted that I had seen literally hundreds of long-form birth certificates as a public health nurse in Illinois, home of one of the most rabid birthers on these forums, and it all looked legit to me.

When there was a question about McCain's citizenship because of his birth in the Panama Canal Zone, the Senate simply declared him to be a natural born citizen. If there had been any issue with Obama, they could have done the same for him.

What's really funny is that when Trump brought this up the first time, he released a copy of his own BC, which turned out to be a hospital keepsake copy, not the official BC at all!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
That's a nice answer if you're a defense lawyer arguing for your client's innocence, but since nobody's on trial,....
wanting to deal in facts is not exclusive to a court room.

Quote:
.... we can be adults and acknowledge what's plainly obvious.
your "plainly obvious" is simply speculation and is not supported by the facts.

Quote:
Sid Blumenthal has been a top aide to both Bill and Hillary for decades. He went to someone in the media to try and get traction for the "Obama is a Kenyan" angle to make Hillary look more "American".
we absolutely know that blumenthal went to james asher ( mcclatchy ) about looking into obama's kenyan family. asher has released their email exchange stating exactly that. we also know that that there was a clinton campaign memo about playing up obama's kenyan/muslim heritage and childhood in indonesia. there is no mention of anything relating to birtherism in either of those.

Quote:
being peddled by Hillary's surrogates and supporters,...
exactly what hillary surrogate do you believe promoted birtherism? what exactly did they say?

phil berg is the closest i can think of and he was just a supporter, not a surrogate.

Quote:
But when they can circulate a poll saying 42% of Republicans believe in birther rumors, all of a sudden it's news.
there were several polls on birtherism which consistently showed 33-40% of republicans believing in some aspect of birtherism.

Quote:
Of course nobody involved is going to admit their hands are dirty. This isn't an episode of Law & Order.
true, nor is this "alice in wonderland" where it's true simply because you say it is ( as was noted by the judge in one of the 230+ birther lawsuits ).

Old 10-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What's really funny is that when Trump brought this up the first time, he released a copy of his own BC, which turned out to be a hospital keepsake copy, not the official BC at all!
yep.

trump had also claimed that a certificate of live birth ( COLB ) wasn't official proof of birth. when trump sued bill maher he released for proof of the facts of his birth....... a COLB.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
yep.

trump had also claimed that a certificate of live birth ( COLB ) wasn't official proof of birth. when trump sued bill maher he released for proof of the facts of his birth....... a COLB.
We don't need "official proof of birth"..... Sheesh. Nobody is questioning whether Obama was really ever born..... I think it's pretty self evident, don't you? The question some people want answered is....WHERE???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies