Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:28 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are they saying that a black man cannot be a positive role model in his community?
Would the NAACP rahter have all black men be hoods hanging on the corner or in prison?

What nonsense, just because a black man wants to step up and do something positive for himself, family and community that he is a sell out.
Not every black man can be a star in the NBA, the NFL or be a rapper.

So with the NAACP making such a ridiculous comment they are in fact promoting a negative stereotype and promoting racism.

I knew a guy years ago (so this crap is not new) who was working full time as a security guard, had another part time job, and was going to school part time as well. Needless to say he had a bright future.
We were talking one day and he said he had lost most of his black friends. I asked why, and he said many shunned him for "working for the man". Others were resentful of him for "trying to get ahead in a white mans world".
This made no sense to me on many levels, not the least of which because what would be a pragmatic alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It doesn’t get any clearer than that. The NAACP is saying that becoming a police officer robs a black man of his black essence. That black cops are no longer truly black and must surrender their “black card” to the NAACP. In the context of the Keith Scott shooting, this statement also implies that black police officers are transformed into racist white killers of innocent black men.

NAACP Says Black Cops Are Not Real Black People

Please someone tell me this is NOT an April Fools joke. ^^^
I am NOT surprised an organization that still uses "Colored" will complain about others.

The word hypocrite, come to mind.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
NAACP lost credibility a long time ago.
Yeh, about 1960!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I knew a guy years ago (so this crap is not new) who was working full time as a security guard, had another part time job, and was going to school part time as well. Needless to say he had a bright future.
We were talking one day and he said he had lost most of his black friends. I asked why, and he said many shunned him for "working for the man". Others were resentful of him for "trying to get ahead in a white mans world".
This made no sense to me on many levels, not the least of which because what would be a pragmatic alternative?
at your comments. The bold is commonplace for black people to do. Sounds like you are making this up "working for the man" lol. Nobody says that anymore. It must have been the 1980s if it is true.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am a black American and I am well aware of the nations of Africa and correct the posters around here all the time. I also agree that there is no particular "African" feature, but unfortunately, here in America there is the idea that there indeed are "sub-Saharan" African features that make people more "negroid" (please note I know this term is scientifically incorrect today):

Thick lips
Nappy Hair
Brown to black skin
Wide nose

If someone is brown skinned and has the above they will be seen as having "African" or "black" features in America.

You should do more education regarding "African" features to the more alt-right white Americans as they are the main ones who still bring up the "sub-Saharan" features and "negroid" adjectives around here. They also think that if people don't have specific "negroid" features that they aren't black lol. It is ridiculous.
X fiance:

Somewhat thick lips but they were really wide.
Curly hair, natural blond
DayGlo white skin
Nose wider than most anglo white people
Heavy ridges over the eyes and they were blue.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Everyone knows that black or sub-Saharan African has different ethnics but they are all of the Negroid race where it's not clinal in the North and East. Most of the American blacks are Congo and Bantu. Same thing with Europeans and Asians, many ethnics.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Well said. Most cops become 'blue', no matter their ethnicity. I support police as a whole, but have no use for the 'thin blue line'. The case of Frank Serpico still resonates. When cops clearly break the law, they MUST be held accountable.
That being said, the NAACP, for too many years, has stood for.. No Accountability Asked of Colored People.
I will give a muted defense of the thin blue line. Police work involves the use of discretion, of literally line of fire, split second decisions. The courts must get out of the business of second-guessing the legitimate excercise of discretion, except in very clear and egregious cases of wrongdoing.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It doesn’t get any clearer than that. The NAACP is saying that becoming a police officer robs a black man of his black essence. That black cops are no longer truly black and must surrender their “black card” to the NAACP. In the context of the Keith Scott shooting, this statement also implies that black police officers are transformed into racist white killers of innocent black men.

NAACP Says Black Cops Are Not Real Black People

Please someone tell me this is NOT an April Fools joke. ^^^
This is ad. In a bygone era the NAACP wanted integration and inclusion into society.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:12 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
at your comments. The bold is commonplace for black people to do. Sounds like you are making this up "working for the man" lol. Nobody says that anymore. It must have been the 1980s if it is true.
I hear stuff from the 1960's even today, including things regionally like 90's Valley Girl or surfer talk. So don't try to question my veracity based on a term that you do not believe is a common vernacular.
It was years ago, but that is not the point.
Also, since when can you generalize that it is common for black people to work two jobs and go to school part time?
That is not common for anyone, regardless of race.

Yet back in the day I had two full time jobs, a part time job on the weekend, and still studied for an upcoming class I was going to be taking. I was driven and ambitious, just as the guy I told you about. But that is not common as most people will burn out trying to do it. Heck at one point I worked 3 months straight without a single day off, except for one. That day I got a haircut and went to the dentist, and slept until the next day.
Don't believe it?
I couldn't care less because I know what I did, as do others who knew me when I was burning the candle at both ends.

Anyway, yes this poor guy felt alienated from his own race, not because he was doing anything wrong (i.e. acting or dressing white).
If he said he listened to country music, wore a cowboy hat, and played croquet, then I might understand where a black person might think he was trying to be white.
No this poor guy was trying to get ahead, yet his idiot friends made him feel like crap for it. So in some ways, it was not them who abandoned him, rather it was him making something of himself, thereby breaking away from those whom would hold him back.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I will give a muted defense of the thin blue line. Police work involves the use of discretion, of literally line of fire, split second decisions. The courts must get out of the business of second-guessing the legitimate excercise of discretion, except in very clear and egregious cases of wrongdoing.
I agree with you here, but the judiciary has situated itself as supreme executor and supreme legislator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies