Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,398,266 times

Advertisements

I think that the argument that people don't want to pay to support other's health care is really pointless. We are already doing this people! If you not in Medicaid and don't have insurance, you go to the Emergency Room for treatment. This happens all the time. Go to a city ER and take a look at the people waiting. Many of them are suffering from basic illness that could be treated at a clinic at a MUCH cheaper price and without the disastrous impact on our ER rooms (who are really there for emergencies).

Instead, our current system we pay for health care of the uninsured through ER rooms. This is probably part of the reason we spend more than any other country in the world on health care and we still have millions and millions uninsured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,178,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
we still have millions and millions uninsured.
16% of the residents, including illegal immigrants, in the US, do not have insurance.

An estimated 25% of this group have voluntarily choosen not to get / buy health insurance - even though they can well afford it.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,447,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
16% of the residents, including illegal immigrants, in the US, do not have insurance.

An estimated 25% of this group have voluntarily choosen not to get / buy health insurance - even though they can well afford it.

Bogus. There is no useful count of the illegal aliens in the U.S., so how can your figures be considered valid?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Bogus. There is no useful count of the illegal aliens in the U.S., so how can your figures be considered valid?
It was an estimate provided a year or so ago by, I believe, the GAO

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

16% is a lot. And many people who are insured have crappy coverage. When I was in college I had insurance from the school but it didn't cover even basic doctor visits.

And I would like to see numbers on this 25% that voluntarily choose no coverage. Even if that number is true, this is clearly irresponsible given the fact that if one gets sick with a protracted disease (even when you are young) the cost of eventually getting coverage is astronomical, if you can get it at all. These are the people we end up supporting either through ER visits or through Medicaid.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
And I would like to see numbers on this 25% that voluntarily choose no coverage. Even if that number is true, this is clearly irresponsible
While I might agree that it is "irresponsible" - so what? That is not my problem. If one wants to be "irresponsible" they have to accept the consequences of their actions.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
While I might agree that it is "irresponsible" - so what? That is not my problem. If one wants to be "irresponsible" they have to accept the consequences of their actions.
It's irresponsible because we all end up paying for it either through ER visits or through Medicaid! Can't you see this?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's irresponsible because we all end up paying for it either through ER visits or through Medicaid! Can't you see this?
Like I said, I may agree it is irresponsible but, I'm not going to be responsible for everyone who is "irresponsible" - it is not my problem

Also, if someone does not WANT health insurance, and they want to pay cash for their healthcare (I know a few people like this), why should "I" / "We" force them into something they really do not want?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I may agree it is irresponsible but, I'm not going to be responsible for everyone who is "irresponsible" - it is not my problem

Also, if someone does not WANT health insurance, and they want to pay cash for their healthcare (I know a few people like this), why should "I" / "We" force them into something they really do not want?
See, you are responsible for them regardless of whether you think you are or not. Your taxes are paying for Medicaid and ER visits for people without insurance.

The thing is that if we had a decent system where people could visit the doctor prior to a disease becoming very serious, it would be cheaper to nip the problem in the bud early. But our current system, people don't have simple coverage that would cover doctor visits. Therefore, we pay to treat these people when the disease is serious and therefore MUCH more expensive for society (meaning you and me).

Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
See, you are responsible for them regardless of whether you think you are or not. Your taxes are paying for Medicaid and ER visits for people without insurance.
Once again, I will ask, what about the person, with no insurance, who does not want insurance, who can, and does, pay for their healthcare in cash - out of their pocket. Why should they be forced to take something they do not want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies