Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Is the US government set to “give away the Internet” Saturday?

Y2K 2.0: Is the US government set to

The answer is no.
The US Government is not doing anything at all - King Obama is making the decisions and that is why 4 States have filed a Lawsuit to stop this irrevocable decision. The case was filed in a Texas Federal Court. The entire point of the Lawsuit is to force Congress to vote on this -- that's as it should be.

State AGs sue to stop Obama's internet transition |Politico - 9/29/16

In their lawsuit, the attorneys general for Arizona, Oklahoma, Nevada and Texas contend that the transition, lacking congressional approval, amounts to an illegal giveaway of U.S. government property. They also express fear that the proposed new steward of the system, a nonprofit known as ICANN, would be so unchecked that it could “effectively enable or prohibit speech on the Internet.”

The four states further contend that ICANN could revoke the U.S. government’s exclusive use of .gov and .mil, the domains used by states, federal agencies and the U.S. military for their websites. And the four attorneys general argue that ICANN’s “current practices often foster a lack of transparency that, in turn, allows illegal activity to occur.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I could post some dandy plans to manufacture your own explosives from common materials so you could build your own bombs in your own kitchen. I do not because I kind of like kitchens.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Great.

So from what you explained, ICANN controls the naming of the websites. The U.S. oversees ICANN for now. There is nothing wrong. No one is complaining. Why - because we are overseeing what they do - which takes into account our views on freedom of speech. Yet we are giving up our oversight.

Do you think the U.N. will oversee ICANN as we have? Other nations with far less freedoms than us will now have a say in how ICANN does its duties. Down the road, my guess is that things will change and the UN will begin rejecting certain groups the ability to register through ICANN... and therefore restrict their access to the internet.
OK, let's think about this from a different direction.

The internet is almost everywhere now. Within the next 25 years or so, it WILL be effectively everywhere. It is simply too useful to too many people for too many reasons to be kept in a bag. Much as Kim Jong-un wants to do just that, he is fighting a losing battle. Mostly because isolating yourself from the global community is such a counter-productive thing to do.

How realistic do you think it is for the US to "maintain control" over the internet? How exactly would we do it? (In fact, we don't "control" it now.) The technological cat is out of the bag. Most internet users are already not americans. Exactly what control measures do you have in mind? And how would the US implement them without harming ourselves? You do realize, don't you, that the internet is designed from the ground up to be completely delocalized? Because it is delocalized (or polylocalized, if you prefer), it cannot be taken out physically with anything short of an EMP. Nor can it be controlled, because - it does not exist in any specific place(s).

The best protection it has is to be everywhere, and for every individual and every nation on earth to be active participants.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:35 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OK, let's think about this from a different direction.

The internet is almost everywhere now. Within the next 25 years or so, it WILL be effectively everywhere. It is simply too useful to too many people for too many reasons to be kept in a bag. Much as Kim Jong-un wants to do just that, he is fighting a losing battle. Mostly because isolating yourself from the global community is such a counter-productive thing to do.

How realistic do you think it is for the US to "maintain control" over the internet? How exactly would we do it? (In fact, we don't "control" it now.) The technological cat is out of the bag. Most internet users are already not americans. Exactly what control measures do you have in mind? And how would the US implement them without harming ourselves? You do realize, don't you, that the internet is designed from the ground up to be completely delocalized? Because it is delocalized (or polylocalized, if you prefer), it cannot be taken out physically with anything short of an EMP. Nor can it be controlled, because - it does not exist in any specific place(s).

The best protection it has is to be everywhere, and for every individual and every nation on earth to be active participants.
The Internet, itself, is fundamentally decentralized & not controlled by any nation. Some nations can, and do, take steps to restrict citizen access to parts of the Internet: see the Great Firewall of China, aka Golden Shield.

The change under discussion here will not affect China's internet censorship. Nor will it result in China's censorship applying within the US.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 PM

158 posts, read 98,854 times
I don't understand this transition or how it is supposed to benefit Americans. Can someone explain to me how giving control of this technology to foreigners is in the benefit of America?

Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
I don't understand this transition or how it is supposed to benefit Americans. Can someone explain to me how giving control of this technology to foreigners is in the benefit of America?
It doesn't. Nothing Obama does benefits Americans.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
OH NOES! They might allow Transgender.com! The HORROR!

Oh wait...
Sweet Date - Landing Page Theme

is already there. Like I said earlier..lots of people who have no clue posting about it.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Please explain then.

There are a lot of people who was able to succeed because of the internet, many people who would never have been able to start a business and now it's going to be in the hands of the U.N. Please explain how that helps Americans? Tell me, what is wrong with the way it is?
MULTIPLE posts here explain it quite well. Why do you need me to act like your trained monkey? Not only are there multiple links here, but theres google.

Short version? Quite literally the government is doing what many are asking of it-to be smaller. To not be involved in these transactions...of domain names.

It will help Americans when networks go down, or server farms crash so that internet traffic can be more easily re-routed to other servers. It removes a extra step in the process. not much else really.

But it doesn't really harm us either. Its been made into a political topic because so many are completely ignorant, and can be convinced that its some big deal. It isn't. Cruz has a freaking countdown clock! And...5 years from now when nothing bad has occurred, everyone here will have forgotten that they were misled, too busy being misled by something new. Google and Facebook are for it because it will simplify their network management.

Its stuff like this that really makes me think "This is yet another example why no alien life will ever talk to us"

Old 09-30-2016, 06:09 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post

Since when did Obama care about doing anything to benefit America? He his doing everything possible the final few months in office to destroy this country. His followers cheer him on.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
It's simple. Look at the countries. He's handing over the internet to the censors. It's another attack on the First Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies