Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 08:42 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times

Advertisements

Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday told U.S. President Barack Obama to "go to hell" and said the United States had refused to sell some weapons to his country but he did not care because Russia and China were willing suppliers.

In his latest salvo, Duterte said he was realigning his foreign policy because the United States had failed the Philippines and added that at some point, "I will break up with America". It was not clear what he meant by "break up".
Philippine leader tells Obama 'go to hell', says can buy arms from Russia, China | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki66 View Post
Here are three articles of MR Duterte's attitude and beliefs. I think the guy is ridiculous. What do you think the outcome of his leadership will be? I think there could very well be some horrible battles in the works. Opinions?

Philippines leader likens himself to Hitler, wants to kill millions of drug users | Reuters

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ilitary-drills

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte in quotes - BBC News

I'd like to see him expell the US and its military from the Philippines and welcome Russia and China with open arms.

I'd also like to see him keep craping all over barky.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, just no. Duterte will discover what colonialism really looks like? The Philippines were colonized up until the end of WWII from the 1500s. Duterte doesn't want Western interference anymore.
Now he'll have Chinese interference. How is that better? You think the Chinese are nice and happy people? Go ask the Hong Kongers or the Tibetans about the wonders of Chinese imperialism.

Reality is that a large portion of the world is not capable of fully governing themselves. It's the simple truth. Half a century of "decolonization" has proven this beyond any doubts.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Now he'll have Chinese interference. How is that better? You think the Chinese are nice and happy people? Go ask the Hong Kongers or the Tibetans about the wonders of Chinese imperialism.

Reality is that a large portion of the world is not capable of fully governing themselves. It's the simple truth. Half a century of "decolonization" has proven this beyond any doubts.
Tibet and Hong Kong belong to China, enough said. So China owning Hong Kong is "imperialism", but the British, from a far away land with zero cultural connection to China, is not?

That's like trying to rationalize slavery, because blacks can't control themselves you do realize a lot of the problems in former colonies are BECAUSE the former colonial powers continue to interfere, right? Every time a leader rises up to defend his country, he is demonized as a ruthless dictator that needs to be taken out open your eyes up. Dictators that align themselves with the West and for Western interests good (Saudi Arabia), dictators that assert their country's independence bad (Libya). Or how about something a little closer to home? Pinochet good, Castro bad. What's the difference? Pinochet sucked up to the US, Castro gave the US the middle finger.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I understand that alot of people in the Philippines are unhappy with corruption and the drugs, but that said I don't support wanton violence where people can kill someone and leave a little placard stating that so and so was a druggie and suddenly it's ok. That's wrong.

I am also concerned by Duterte's endless anti-American rambling. At the end of the day the people of the Philippines are going to suffer greatly from Chinese imperialism. Duterte will soon discover what colonialism really looks like. Personally I would like to overthrow him and return to the way things were between 1935-46 where the US controlled defense and foreign affairs while the Philippines had full control over domestic matters. It was a good arrangement that worked. Our interests were satisfied and the PI could govern itself. Win, win.
You'd like to overthrow him?

Sign your ass up then and put the uniform on. Because you certainly can't overthrow him from where you are right now, sitting on your ass typing on your puter...

Let's be honest --- I know we've been programmed to be patriotic and the ego swings into full defense mode when that sense of entitlement is threatened - but these days the US can't even overthrow 97 year old woman in a wheel chair, let alone another nation state with a leader who just doesn't respect ours.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Indeed, it's their country their rules. If they voted for... that... they now have to live with it.

I'm very very glad I don't live there now, that's for sure. Not that this country is a bastion of enlightenment either, what with its police brutality issues...

Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Wife is Filipino, a large majority of Filipinos support Duterte. Most already feel actually safer. I suggest "Manilla before and after duterte"

The fact is instead of the majority of Filipinos in fear of crime it is the criminals now in fear.
Correction. Those killed by duterte's War on Drugs are "Alleged, Accused or Suspected" Drug Users, not people who were tried in court and found guilty of a crime.

The mere fact that a person can be executed on nothing more than an accusation or suspicion, in the ABSENCE of a Court Hearing, is abhorrent!

Who will be next on duterte's hit list? Former drug users? Consumers of alcohol? Non-Catholics? What about the large Filipino Bakla (gay) community?

Given his overt dislike for The United States, will American Expats someday make his hit list? Will we look the other way if US Citizens residing in The Philippines become targets of duterte's campaign to purge his country of whomever he decides to deem as undesirable?

Where does it end?

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,790,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They should be allowed to deal with their problems as they see fit. None of our business.
Exactly. I think the drug problem in the Phillippines is much bigger than we know. Maybe Duterte's way is the only way. He's looking at Singapore and Malaysia. Maybe what works there can work here, he thinks. But first you have to get there.

As for US/Philippine relations, they don't need us. We don't need them. China is the regional power, like Russia in the Middle East. They call the shots and its up to the locals to get on their good side.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Correction. Those killed by duterte's War on Drugs are "Alleged, Accused or Suspected" Drug Users, not people who were tried in court and found guilty of a crime.

The mere fact that a person can be executed on nothing more than an accusation or suspicion, in the ABSENCE of a Court Hearing, is abhorrent!

Who will be next on duterte's hit list? Former drug users? Consumers of alcohol? Non-Catholics? What about the large Filipino Bakla (gay) community?

Given his overt dislike for The United States, will American Expats someday make his hit list? Will we look the other way if US Citizens residing in The Philippines become targets of duterte's campaign to purge his country of whomever he decides to deem as undesirable?

Where does it end?
^ excellent point. Where does it stop? I think alot of people don't seem to understand that people are being butchered in the streets merely for being SUSPECTED of being a drug dealer or even a drug addict. There's no trial, there's no evaluation of evidence. They are just killed. How is this acceptable?

But hey, Durerte says mean things about Obama so he must be a good guy

Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Where does it end?
you make a number of good points and ask some very thoughtful questions. +1 for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies