Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Correction. Those killed by duterte's War on Drugs are "Alleged, Accused or Suspected" Drug Users, not people who were tried in court and found guilty of a crime.

The mere fact that a person can be executed on nothing more than an accusation or suspicion, in the ABSENCE of a Court Hearing, is abhorrent!

Who will be next on duterte's hit list? Former drug users? Consumers of alcohol? Non-Catholics? What about the large Filipino Bakla (gay) community?

Given his overt dislike for The United States, will American Expats someday make his hit list? Will we look the other way if US Citizens residing in The Philippines become targets of duterte's campaign to purge his country of whomever he decides to deem as undesirable?

Where does it end?
Duterte already as mayor of Davao never extended it beyond drug users and possibly a few political appointments.

Duterte supports gay marriage. Try to come to this topic with at least a bit of knowledge.

Ex-pats bring too much money he won't bother them. His actions make it more likely I will retire in the Philippines or at least reside there a part of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,376,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Duterte already as mayor of Davao never extended it beyond drug users and possibly a few political appointments.

Duterte supports gay marriage. Try to come to this topic with at least a bit of knowledge.

Ex-pats bring too much money he won't bother them. His actions make it more likely I will retire in the Philippines or at least reside there a part of the year.
Point taken.

I'm no expert on Filipino internal affairs. But I am a concerned person who appreciates the Philippines which I've visited a total of 5 times over the course of my life. I was there as early as 1980 when Marcos was President, and as recently as January 2016. There's a palpable contrast between The Philippines of 1980 when Marcos declared Martial Law, and The Philippines of 2016 under Noynoy Aquino.

In 1980, I - a foreign visitor - had to be indoors by midnight's curfew. If not, I could have been arrested or at worse, shot.

In 2016, I - a foreign visitor - recently had drinks out with locals at night, until my now seasoned body said "it's time to rest." Be it in Pasig, Puerto Princesa, Coron, Boracay, Batangas, or Manila, I sometimes walked alone; always vigilant, but generally, without much concern.

But back to the original point, where does duterte's cleansing campaign end and with whom, and at what price? For the record, property leasing was one reason why I visited in January. Retiring there someday was highly possible. Not no' more! Not while duterte is in office. In addition, why risk living in a country which appears to be headed right into the back pockets of Russia and China, the two major BRIC nations?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:56 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,278,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What is the conservative answer?
**** em.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,278,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He is just another gang leader, it's just that his gang doesn't deal drugs.
A lot of gangs started as self defense.

Just like in government the followers allow the corrupt to run things.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:34 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,748,250 times
Duterte may be popular now, but he will find other enemies. He will sever relations with the US, persecute the churches, and build up a police state that makes the days of Ferdinand Marcos look like a spring picnic. Rich Filipinos may be able to buy protection from Duterte's depredations, which means the poor will suffer the most, as is usual under dictatorships. The economy will crash and the number of Filipinos seeking exile will rise.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
A poll in July showed 91% of Filipinos trusted Duterte.

But what do them little brown people who just happen to live there know? Us white people know best.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,409,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Ghaddafi/Libya say Hello.
Wakey Wakey it was Obama and Clinton.
They didn't write the play book, they just exercised even more stupidity by using it.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 AM

29,184 posts, read 22,231,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Ghaddafi/Libya say Hello.
Wakey Wakey it was Obama and Clinton.
False comparison, buddy.
Gaddafi wasn't elected. He pulled a coup and took over Libya by force. A classic strong-man who was seen as a Messiah to his nation until he settled in and became a dictator.

There have been lots and lots of those guys.

Duterte is different. He was elected fair and square by presenting himself a a strong man Messiah who would fix all the nation's problems by using massive harsh measures to get it done.

More than one country has been entranced by a guy like this- who talks big and rough, then leads their nation straight downward to disaster.

It seems some folks are always ready to buy a pig in a poke. They are never prepared when the pig turns out to be a wild boar who jumps out of the poke and rips them up once they're home again.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,748,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A poll in July showed 91% of Filipinos trusted Duterte.

But what do them little brown people who just happen to live there know? Us white people know best.
Did white Germans know what was best for their nation in the early 1930s when they elected an Austrian native fair and square?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM

52,451 posts, read 34,154,440 times
oh good. the 'little brown people' card has been played
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies