Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The cop WAS harassing him! Liberalism has nothing to with it. Don't you value civil rights at all?

And " triggered" are you kidding me? I wanted to punch somebody in the face the other day because he
" triggered me" How well would that have played out in my criminal defense? Because I guarantee you, I would have been charged.

get the right judge and they would give you some time in therapy and pay for it.

giggle...

Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
That officer was WAY out of line.
I support the police but its cops like this that need to be weeded out.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
In what way was this police officer "dirty"

Did he lie in his report?.. not that we know of

Did he give false testimony? not that we know of

Did he arrest without probable cause? not that we know of

Does a police officer have the legal right to detain you at their choosing? ..when sufficient PC has occurred.. I hope you say yes.. because they do.. they didnt have to convey their intentions (although its a good idea if its tactically appropriate)
lmao Watch the video then comment. Of course you may very well have watched it and still asked that question, which wouldn't surprise me.

btw A black man sitting on his mothers porch isn't probable cause that a crime may have been or might be committed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Bias... it comes in many forms
Honesty, it comes in one form. You should try it.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would have demanded that they get off my porch.
Maybe so, but they would not have left prior to establishing it was "his porch" to begin with. Remember, they were called there because it looked like he was trying to break in with a shovel. He admitted in the discussions he did even have a key to the place. Other parts of his story didn't add up either, hence the reason the cops were vetting him and his story.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I think you are on the money......there is definitely something wrong with that cop - whether its PTSD or he was just born a jackass. He escalated the whole situation on his own.

The brother was much more calm than I would have been if I was in the same situation.

Wait a minute. Your post was in response to this post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
When the guy got on the phone and starting speaking ghetto, it set the cop off. It looks like the cop has PTSD from all time he spent policing the hood.
You both think the cop went off because the guy was speaking ghetto?

If so, that is a strange way of looking at it, and ignores the much bigger issue of him essentially calling for backup from his friend, against the cops.
That is clearly what escalated the situation. While I might have handled getting his phone away differently, I certainly wouldn't let him stay on the phone and put out requests on social media to arrive on the scene because cops were harassing him. That could only lead to trouble and a more dangerous situation.
You two can see that cant you?

Secondly Chilles, you say you'd be more animated than this guy was. At what point are you speaking about
I ask because during the video, the cops seemed reasonable in their inquiries, and even tried to empathize with the guy, despite his story having holes in it. The guy seemed to be cooperating with them, and this whole thing should have turned out ok.
To me, when the guy tried to leave for the 2nd time, that provoked even more suspicion, and helped to escalate the situation. But prior to that, what did the cops do that would have warranted you being less calm than the suspect was?

Lastly, regardless of when you would have been less calm, don't you and others see that acting out will be the opposite of how to handle such a situation with police?
I ask because there seems to be a cultural difference in the way different races of people(generally speaking) would handle the same situation.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why would sporting "prison tattoos" arouse any suspicions?
I suspect this is a tongue in cheek comment, but will fly over some peoples head.

I guess taking info like that and it making someone more suspicious is prejudiced?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Someone called the police, OK. This guy produced an ID and the address that he was at was listed on the ID. That should have been the end of this dispatch. But no, the police escalated the situation because they are programmed to undervalue African Americans. This is much worse than racial profiling.. There's a systematic problem with ingrained bigotry and hate...
This particular cop was an ass, but why lump them all together, sorta like "don't judge all by the actions of a few". I know a lot of good cops.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Race should be irrelevant but it's not. Our country was founded on racism and those ghosts still hunt us to this day. Police brutality can happen to anyone, but it mostly happens to black folks and when it does these people walk free..

Tell me this, if black police officers were contently harassing, violating rights and killing white men do you think we would let that stand? No!
It might have something to do with high crime areas that happen to be black and underclass black young men who have the propensity to fight with the police.
Look at it from the cops point of view for a change.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
When Colin Kaepernick takes a knee, this is what he's doing it for.

Video Shows Carolina Cop Violently Arrest Black Man For Sitting On His Porch | Huffington Post
It's an asinine thing Kaepernick is doing. Was the police officer punished for this obvious misconduct? Yes he was, so the idiot Kaepernick has no reason to take a freaking knee.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
It might have something to do with high crime areas that happen to be black and underclass black young men who have the propensity to fight with the police.
Look at it from the cops point of view for a change.
In this situation, I'm not going to look at it from the officer's point of view. This individual situation, the officer was just wrong. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies