Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I'd love to hear about a place in the U.S. that has good jobs, good schools and affordable housing.

I can live as a single person without a house, yea.
Ask and ye shall receive..........

Rochester, Minnesota...

Rochester, Minnesota | Livability

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-Minnesota.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
US Household Income | Department of Numbers

No. The MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD income is a little over 53,000 dollars per year in the U.S. in 2015. Per capita means each individual.

In Seattle median household income is around 73,000 dollars. Milwaukee? $43,385 after suffering a 10% decline from 2009.
I was thinking of the per capita (PPP) I saw on Wikipedia for the USA. So, after your post I went back and looked to see if I was remembering incorrectly. Naw, I was pretty much remembering correctly. But if the Wikipedia (as a source) is correct is another issue.

Wikipedia on the United States of America: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

I think City-Data as a source, last time I checked anyways, gives Milwaukee's per capita income at something like $20,000 annually. So, the figure you give (or that of the source) for the household income for Milwaukee sounds about right.

You can easily get a luxury 1 bedroom apartment in Milwaukee for less than $2,000 a month. About $1,300 a month budget for rent alone should get you in the door for luxury 1 bedrooms in Milwaukee, at minimum lower end luxury 1 bedrooms.

If it costs over $4,000 a month in Seattle for 1 bedroom apartments that aren't even luxury units in luxury rental buildings then that is just wild.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
What about moving out to the burbs of Seattle? Like Bothell or whatever else is around there?

"Oh, Bothell", sayeth Pooh.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
I was thinking of the per capita (PPP) I saw on Wikipedia for the USA. So, after your post I went back and looked to see if I was remembering incorrectly. Naw, I was pretty much remembering correctly. But if the Wikipedia (as a source) is correct is another issue.

Wikipedia on the United States of America: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

I think City-Data as a source, last time I checked anyways, gives Milwaukee's per capita income at something like $20,000 annually. So, the figure you give (or that of the source) for the household income for Milwaukee sounds about right.

You can easily get a luxury 1 bedroom apartment in Milwaukee for less than $2,000 a month. About $1,300 a month budget for rent alone should get you in the door for luxury 1 bedrooms in Milwaukee, at minimum lower end luxury 1 bedrooms.

If it costs over $4,000 a month in Seattle for 1 bedroom apartments that aren't even luxury units in luxury rental buildings then that is just wild.

And you also get the fabulous bonus of living in Milwaukee.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And you also get the fabulous bonus of living in Milwaukee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc

Old 10-06-2016, 07:12 AM

845 posts, read 680,105 times
90k a year can't afford a house? I make 37k a year and can comfortably live, and own, a house in Connecticut, the queen of high COL. In a city.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"Oh, Bothell", sayeth Pooh.
Haha. I used to live in Bothell, then Kenmore.

OP, I'm trying to feel for you. I have a daughter that's a millennial, so I understand some of the issues this younger generation is having, but your complaint seems unfounded. You have a well-paying job, you don't have the expense of children, and without the time issues of raising kids, you should be able to live outside the city and commute for work. There's no reason you need to pay over $4,000 a month in rent.

That said... I think it's a lot harder to live comfortably in America now than it was two decades ago, but we also have to reevaluate what 'comfortable' means. Too many people, my daughter included, have an unrealistic view of what they need to live. I'd love to have a housekeeper and part-time sitter for my kids, but we can't afford it. It would make my life MORE comfortable, but that doesn't mean I'm not doing okay without those things. I'd like to get pedicures every week, but really, having pretty toes is quite unimportant, overall. I'd like to drive a car that's not 12 years old, but I have a car. I'm not taking the bus to the grocery store, or walking. And look! I have internet.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
90k a year can't afford a house? I make 37k a year and can comfortably live, and own, a house in Connecticut, the queen of high COL. In a city.

And your mortgage payment is probably less than what I pay to rent a room in an overcrowded house!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Is America becoming unlivable?

One of the most amusing aspects of this forum is the plethora of threads started by white males complaining about how hard they've got it.

If by accident of birth you're a white male in America, you've won this planet's birthright lottery. Many have no concept of how good they've got it.

Me? I am SO thankful to be a white guy in America.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
That said... I think it's a lot harder to live comfortably in America now than it was two decades ago, but we also have to reevaluate what 'comfortable' means. Too many people, my daughter included, have an unrealistic view of what they need to live. I'd love to have a housekeeper and part-time sitter for my kids, but we can't afford it. It would make my life MORE comfortable, but that doesn't mean I'm not doing okay without those things. I'd like to get pedicures every week, but really, having pretty toes is quite unimportant, overall. I'd like to drive a car that's not 12 years old, but I have a car. I'm not taking the bus to the grocery store, or walking. And look! I have internet.
There you go, entitlement. They all want to live rich when they are not rich. You suggest ways to budget and they don't want to hear it. Tell them to move to another city that is livable and immediately someone chimes in on how uncool that city is.

The OP is exaggerating about rental prices and being unable to afford basics on 90k. I'm afraid many young people are brainwashed about expectations and reality.

I'm not sure where they get it because many parents like this live within their means and do not teach entitlement to their kids. My family has two of these, and we did not teach them to think this way, we all live well within our means but they think they deserve so much more than what we have - the same lifestyle as wealthy people.

Any gen-xers who were living five in a 2 bedroom apartment through the 90s recession expect a housekeeper? A new car? LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies