Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times

Advertisements

You stand out of respect. Just like We stand for the Canada anthem when we go to hockey games. Or if I went to the Olympics I would stand when ever they play any national anthem. Athletes get microphones stuck in their face all the time, that is the time to bring up what ever they want to place a spotlight on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with the news reporting it so much. It really is not news.

Also I do not know why they play the National Anthem before every sporting event. I feel uncomfortable saluting when half the people around me are not and some are scratching their balls and playing grab ass. This is not the 50's. Just cut it out and do it for the playoffs.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
A few reasons: First, because the average NFL-watching Joe Lunchpail who's just trying to keep his family's head above water is getting a little tired of being lectured about oppression by people of color who have reached the highest levels of wealth, power, and prominence like ridiculously well-paid athletes and the President of the United States of all people.

Second, the whole premise of the protest that police are wantonly killing black men for no reason is false.

Third, people are angry that one of the last refuges where people could leave their arguments and differences behind for a few hours a week and come together for a beer and a good time is being taken away from us by those who insist on politicizing the proceedings. There's a time and a place for everything; this isn't the time or place for it.

Fourth, this country was founded on a set of principles and ideals that no human society will ever achieve yet it constantly strives to anyway. Using your protest voice to protest the country itself is to protest those ideals, which is self-defeating and hypocritical. Notice the preamble to the Constitution states its aim is to form a MORE perfect union, not a perfect union period. If everyone knelt until the country lived up to our every expectation, nobody would be going anywhere.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Outside of kneeling during the anthem, what has Kapernick done to address or help with the problems plaguing inner city blacks in poor communities where crime is way of life for many!?

These isolated shootings between police and blacks dont even hold a candle to what's going in in these black communities. Where's the protests from these athletes for innocent children who are shot by these thugs? Where's the protests for the elderly who get caught in these crossfires and are shot as a result? Where are the protests against the looters who come in and burn, loot and riot during the times of peaceful protests?
There were riots for a cop who shot an armed man with an illegal firearm who wouldn't comply when asked, yet not a peep for the man who was shot in his head by a fellow black while protesting! WHY?

And please dont tell me that I have no idea what goes on in these communities. I've seen first hand what goes on and have lived in one of these communities for the first 28yrs of my life!"
Some people and some "cultures" blame other people for their problems cause the truth just hurts too much IMHO.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I believe there are better ways to make a statement, but he chose what he chose and I couldn't care less.

I know it upsets the vets and I wish he would have respected THEM by standing the week they were there.

I don't know any white people who are mad because of this. I do know both white and black people who think he's an idiot because of this.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A few reasons: First, because the average NFL-watching Joe Lunchpail who's just trying to keep his family's head above water is getting a little tired of being lectured about oppression by people of color who have reached the highest levels of wealth, power, and prominence like ridiculously well-paid athletes and the President of the United States of all people.
Athletes and prominent people of color can and do get shot down like everyone else - why shouldn't they have a say. Second, they are not necessarily protesting their own situations and condition. They are protesting in sympathy with the common man. But still, even in the sporting world, you do realize it is only recently (the last decade or so) that a black man could be a football quarterback, or hockey player, or a head coach in any sport without tongues waging and undue criticism. Things are not as honky-dorie as you seem to think.

Quote:
Second, the whole premise of the protest that police are wantonly killing black men for no reason is false.
Unfortunately too many believe this premise is false. People of Color have been talking and protesting for many decades. Only now that cameras are available and show that it is in fact not a false premise, can those others see and acknowledge the problem. Too bad some still chose to blind themselves.
Quote:
Third, people are angry that one of the last refuges where people could leave their arguments and differences behind for a few hours a week and come together for a beer and a good time is being taken away from us by those who insist on politicizing the proceedings. There's a time and a place for everything; this isn't the time or place for it.
Nobody has TAKEN anything from you. The National anthem runs at best 2 minutes. Then you have 3.5 hours of Football. You can go get a beer, take a squat, or close your ears during that time if you like. Second, it is pretty lame that you can't take 2 minutes of your life to listen to someone else grievances. Makes it sound like you don't really care one way or another. The country as a whole has chosen not to listen in the streets, in the courtroom, and in the political square, so now you get it in your face on TV. Don't like it? Too bad, that's the First at work. If you don't care about people's lives, why should they care about your game.
Quote:
Fourth, this country was founded on a set of principles and ideals that no human society will ever achieve yet it constantly strives to anyway. Using your protest voice to protest the country itself is to protest those ideals, which is self-defeating and hypocritical. Notice the preamble to the Constitution states its aim is to form a MORE perfect union, not a perfect union period. If everyone knelt until the country lived up to our every expectation, nobody would be going anywhere.
Sounds like you think no one in the underclass should EVER protest anything because the majority thinks everything all is peaches and cream? I have heard over and over from people who sound like you that the underclass should "wait and be patient" in asking for and getting their rights - while you sit in your comfy chair to watch a game. Nobody cares when you think the right time is while they suffer. Yes, the preamble says a lot of nice things, but until those words echo truth and not just truthiness, people will protest when and however they can.

Your football game has no meaning compared to the life, liberty, and justice other have been promised, been reneged on, and protest for.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-07-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
I guess this is number what of the "Whitey Bad" threads this week.
This stuff is SO OLD - the Race Card is completely tattered and nobody pays attention anymore.

Give these poor downtrodden perpetual Victims their own Forum ...... please.
A place they can Rant hourly, daily about what a horrible County the USA is.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
They should have their own anthem and flag. Seriously, and that's not necessarily a slight against them because I can understand why they wouldn't feel completely positive about the American flag and anthem. In a sense, they're a separate nation (nation being a distinct people, even if not geographically concentrated in a continuous space or a sovereign state); really, every nation deserves some kind of symbolism they can call their own and be proud of.
Just wanted to mention that black people do have our own anthem here in America.

The song "Lift Every Voice and Sing" written by James Weldon Johnson is the "black national anthem." It is a beautiful song.

Also many black people consider the red, black and green flag to be a flag representative of black Americans and/or the African diaspora as a whole.

In regards to athletes, I feel they are exhibiting their American-ness by their protest. On your other points above about black Americans being a "separate nation" black Americans have had a huge hand in creating the country as a whole and especially on the American culture. This is our country IMO more than many white people since we have ancestry in this land longer than that of a majority of white Americans who are descendants of recent immigrants. On both sides of my family I have traced them in America for over 250 years - I am a black American.

Due to the above, I both do and don't "get" why they are protesting or what they are protesting. This is our country. We have been the demographic of catalyst for change in this country (especially in regards to the true receipt of "liberty, justice, and freedom") since its inception. IMO we will always be the demographic who fights for true American idealism regarding freedom and equality and liberty. That has been a huge role of us as a subculture. I don't "get" the protest only because it has no aims IMO or goals or demands. What do they want? What is the purpose? If it is just for solidarity, then that's cool I guess. But IMO it is just people jumping on a bandwagon and acting like they are doing something that they aren't doing. Hopefully more of the wealthier athletes will at least make monetary donations to stalwart civil rights organizations or community groups that help underprivileged citizens who are more likely to be victims of systematic racism. But just taking a knee IMO does nothing, especially not some high school kids or pee wee football players or something.

ETA Our Black National Anthem

https://youtu.be/ya7Bn7kPkLo?t=92

Here's the lyrics to all versus. Like the the American anthem, usually only the first verse is sung.

Lift every voice and sing, till earth and Heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise, high as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod, bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat, have not our weary feet,
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered;
Out from the gloomy past, till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years, God of our silent tears,
Thou Who hast brought us thus far on the way;
Thou Who hast by Thy might, led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee.
Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee.
Shadowed beneath Thy hand, may we forever stand,
True to our God, true to our native land.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-07-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 01:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
The past is gone. Can't change it.

Time to move on.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
IMO, the flag and anthem worship is just jingoistic BS. There is a reason that the 1st Amendment exists, the so-called patriots that think a piece of fabric or a stupid song are more important than the ideals they stand for are the ones with anti-American beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies