Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
There may be some bad apple cops but I believe that most unjustified police shootings are caused by the fact that the police are trained to be very afraid of the citizenry and then told that, if they are afraid of anything at all, to use deadly force immediately. Basically, they are trained that deadly force is the preferred alternative in any potentially dangerous situation. Racial perceptions play into this to the extent that police might believe that black people are more potentially dangerous and therefore use deadly force more quickly. That is not the same thing as calling them racist cops, since they often make mistakes that they were pretty much trained to make!

What I am trying to say is that we are dealing with two problems here. Given the difficulty that people have in changing racial biases (which are often unconscious,) it seems to me that the problem of unjustified shootings could be reduced most effectively through new better of force rules and better training. If the number of unjustified shootings could be cut in half, that would be progress.
Wow..I cannot believe how far ogkff from reality your perception is

Please go educate yourself on use of force policy... Use of force continuum...

Please..get educated.. being ignorant means you don't have the true power of knowledge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos37 View Post
The police force is an unconstitutional establishment used by politicians to steal money from working Americans. They're essentially bullies who operate off of stolen money. so systematically police are bad as well. If I work, and I don't pay my hard earned money to a bunch inept sociopaths in Washington, the boys in blue are at my door shaking me down. Glad you don't think an army of professional extortionist are "harmful"
How many times have they been "at your door" ?

If you work?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
I enjoy most of John Oliver's commentary and agree on some of it. And a lot of the information was indeed shocking.

Overall, in my opinion, I think the police in the U.S. is becoming more militarized and that trend is going down a very big slippery slope.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:30 PM

74 posts, read 41,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

If you work?
They're never been to my door, because I involuntarily pay for their useless services. Since the mafia organization called the US Government has decided not to actually give me a choice on whether or not I pay for the right for them to control my life, I have avoided a visit from the government endorsed version of the crips. If I actually evaded my taxes, they'd be at more door quick.

I would prefer that I keep my money, and if someone wants to rob me, they'd have to speak deal with my .38 first. Or I can hire me a security guard who actually is interested in protecting me since I can fire him when I feel he's not doing a good job. It's better than paying into this pyramid scheme really meant to line the pockets of bunch of people in Washington who probably can't even wipe their ass, let alone run a nation.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
John Oliver should go through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

Old 10-07-2016, 05:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

If you work?
DUDE!

How many times should they be at ones door?

Look, I agree with most of what you say, that cops are much needed and most are good, however lets be realistic here! Cops are pawns of the politicians. If a horrible law is passed (war on drugs which you LOVE!) then cops are paid to enforce those laws.

If a law was passed that said "anyone speaking their minds in public was illegal" YOU would be bound to enforce it... and by your history of unquestioning posts, YOU would be enforcing such a law.

ASK yourself, when does a paycheck trump common sense, the Constitution, FK just being a human being?

You need to check yourself!
Quote:
They're never been to my door, because I involuntarily pay for their useless services.
Consider yourself lucky!

They have been to my door plenty, they have pulled me over for no reason (my wife was adjusting her AC vent and they said she was hiding something in it as I passed the patrol car...BS! (never been arrested)) so be grateful. My cousin is a self-righteous cop so I know first hand what the mentality is. They will follow the law (see notmeofficer), even if the law sucks! They are nothing but the strong arm pawns of the politicians. They fill the jails, make bail bondsmen rich, and bring in the cash on the backs of citizens... as they convince themselves they are doing the right thing.

Even the Nazis must have told themselves it was the law, right? If politicians pass a law saying that Jews should be killed, does it make it a good law?

Last edited by steven_h; 10-07-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
He's not funny and is trying to become the next John Stewart. He has failed.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
There may be some bad apple cops but I believe that most unjustified police shootings are caused by the fact that the police are trained to be very afraid of the citizenry and then told that, if they are afraid of anything at all, to use deadly force immediately. Basically, they are trained that deadly force is the preferred alternative in any potentially dangerous situation. Racial perceptions play into this to the extent that police might believe that black people are more potentially dangerous and therefore use deadly force more quickly. That is not the same thing as calling them racist cops, since they often make mistakes that they were pretty much trained to make!

What I am trying to say is that we are dealing with two problems here. Given the difficulty that people have in changing racial biases (which are often unconscious,) it seems to me that the problem of unjustified shootings could be reduced most effectively through new better of force rules and better training. If the number of unjustified shootings could be cut in half, that would be progress.
"that most unjustified police shootings"

The PROBLEM, IMO is that yes there a very few "bad shootings" but, the media Obama, MOST dems, many blacks, etc. IMMEDIATELY accuse the cop of murder, then riot, etc., then when after an investigation in most cases we find the shooting "justified".

This all started with Michael Brown. That is where the hands up came from and BLM.

He was FALSELY accused and fond INNOCENT and s career in that town was ruined.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
The police force is an unconstitutional establishment used by politicians to steal money from working Americans. They're essentially bullies who operate off of stolen money. so systematically police are bad as well. If I work, and I don't pay my hard earned money to a bunch inept sociopaths in Washington, the boys in blue are at my door shaking me down. Glad you don't think an army of professional extortionist are "harmful"

MAN , am I glad i don't LIVE IN YOUR PERVERSE WORLD!

IT MUST BE A REAL BUMMER!

Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
John Oliver should go through this:
I didn't watch it but did they have a guy sitting in the road with a toy truck and the officer faced with the question, shoot or don't shoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies