Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:56 PM

74 posts, read 41,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
MAN , am I glad i don't LIVE IN YOUR PERVERSE WORLD!

IT MUST BE A REAL BUMMER!

You live in the same world I do, you just don't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:06 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos37 View Post
They're never been to my door, because I involuntarily pay for their useless services. Since the mafia organization called the US Government has decided not to actually give me a choice on whether or not I pay for the right for them to control my life, I have avoided a visit from the government endorsed version of the crips. If I actually evaded my taxes, they'd be at more door quick.

I would prefer that I keep my money, and if someone wants to rob me, they'd have to speak deal with my .38 first. Or I can hire me a security guard who actually is interested in protecting me since I can fire him when I feel he's not doing a good job. It's better than paying into this pyramid scheme really meant to line the pockets of bunch of people in Washington who probably can't even wipe their ass, let alone run a nation.

This post sounds unhinged and very bitter, a scary combination.

You know you can hire your own security guard, if you can afford it. Celebrities do it all the time.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:15 PM

44 posts, read 23,396 times

Old 10-09-2016, 05:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
^^^^^^^^^ In theory. I've never been a fan of theory. Most police officers don't enforce every single law every single time. Most will not pull you over for 38 in a 35. I know officers that have allowed people to walk over a little pot. Most will not arrest people for public intoxication unless you do something else stupid.

Most are reasonable. We just need to find a way to weed out the poor ones that make the rest look bad.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The DA in Baltimore did her best to railroad good cops and her case fell apart because there was no case to begin with. She didn't intentionally screw her case, she fk'd herself trying to do the exact opposite. She is the example we should all use for the model of abuse of power and a lawless attorney hiding behind the law.

Just as there are bad cops, there are also horribly bad district attorneys who care little for the Constitution and jurisprudence!! Take it from a native Californian, we have an epidemic of them here.
I would not go so far as to say she tried to railroad good cops, but she definitely tried to railroad those six cops, who in that situation were not being bad cops. The truth is that least some of those cops were being negligent in how they carried out their job that day, but that is cause to reprimand or fire them, not criminally charge them. She was operating with an agenda that had nothing to do with legal justice and everything to do with social justice. Apparently no one explained to her that lawyers who want to fight for social justice, or who can not look at cases through racially blind glasses, do not belong in a prosecutor's office. She ought to be brought up on prosecutorial misconduct charges, but she won't.

There are bad actors and incompetent fools in all professions. The difference is that when they are an accountant for Bob's Widgets their sphere of damage is more limited and somewhat dependent on those impacted making the choice to be in that situation. Bad police, teachers, children service workers, and a few other select professions, however, impact a wider range of people including many who wish they weren't interacting with them in the first place and that impact can have life altering outcomes. It does not help that there is a perception that as government workers they can't be fired.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Wow..I cannot believe how far ogkff from reality your perception is

Please go educate yourself on use of force policy... Use of force continuum...

Please..get educated.. being ignorant means you don't have the true power of knowledge...
I have seen the police training videos with ten year-olds pulling real guns and gunning down cops. Not impossible but... Also, I have also had the police themselves warn the public about pulling a black wallet out of a pocket because the police might mistake it for a gun. Or the case of the guy stopped for a bank robbery because he had a similar car. When he unbuckled his seat belt the police saw something shiny and shot him in the side of the head. The driver was unarmed and had nothing to do with any robbery. None the less, it was deemed a good shooting because the person who shot him (from the FBI as I remember) said that he mistook a flash of sunlight on the seat belt for the driver pulling a gun.

The driver was a young white guy, so the shooting didn't cause much or a stir. My friends, who are mostly more pro-cop than I am, defend this kind of shooting as an honest mistake, or not a mistake at all. In fact, I seem to be in a small group of people that believes that the police can make mistakes, should try to avoid them, and should be held accountable when they do happen - but, at the same time, acknowledges the difficulties of police work and presence of dangerous armed criminals (some of whom are my neighbors.) As with so many issues right now, people seem to support wildly different alternate realities, none of which seem very real to me.

Needless to say, when I have to deal with the police (which is pretty often) I move very very slowly. By the way, I have never actually been arrested. I just live in a high crime area with lots of gang violence. To be fair, the local police force recently changed its use of force police to make it clear that the police should try to deescalate the situation rather than shooting first. Obviously, if this was a change in policy, the prior rules must have been more aggressive.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 AM

44 posts, read 23,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
^^^^^^^^^ In theory. I've never been a fan of theory. Most police officers don't enforce every single law every single time. Most will not pull you over for 38 in a 35. I know officers that have allowed people to walk over a little pot. Most will not arrest people for public intoxication unless you do something else stupid.

Most are reasonable. We just need to find a way to weed out the poor ones that make the rest look bad.
No. In fact. Every cop has agreed to enforce bad laws. Rather they enforce all of those bad laws or not is immaterial. They enforce some of them. The very fact that all cops will ticket or arrest a person where no actual crime has been committed (no victim, no crime) makes all cops bad.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I would not go so far as to say she tried to railroad good cops, but she definitely tried to railroad those six cops, who in that situation were not being bad cops. The truth is that least some of those cops were being negligent in how they carried out their job that day, but that is cause to reprimand or fire them, not criminally charge them. She was operating with an agenda that had nothing to do with legal justice and everything to do with social justice. Apparently no one explained to her that lawyers who want to fight for social justice, or who can not look at cases through racially blind glasses, do not belong in a prosecutor's office. She ought to be brought up on prosecutorial misconduct charges, but she won't.
So what do we do when officers that deserve to be fired or reprimanded (which you say was justified) aren't?

Quote:
There are bad actors and incompetent fools in all professions. The difference is that when they are an accountant for Bob's Widgets their sphere of damage is more limited and somewhat dependent on those impacted making the choice to be in that situation. Bad police, teachers, children service workers, and a few other select professions, however, impact a wider range of people including many who wish they weren't interacting with them in the first place and that impact can have life altering outcomes. It does not help that there is a perception that as government workers they can't be fired.
It's not just a perception. It's not an impossibility but it is a far harder process than it should be. That doesn't even address the situations where nothing is done.

If in my job I ignore rules put in place for the safety of others I know without question, I will get fired. Not so if you are a Baltimore police officer.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So what do we do when officers that deserve to be fired or reprimanded (which you say was justified) aren't?

It's not just a perception. It's not an impossibility but it is a far harder process than it should be. That doesn't even address the situations where nothing is done.

If in my job I ignore rules put in place for the safety of others I know without question, I will get fired. Not so if you are a Baltimore police officer.
I agree that there should be methods to expedite getting rid of public servants who commit egregious acts that endanger lives, and if nothing else there should be mechanisms to immediately remove them to a non-public access position while it is being investigated. Pressure your elected officials. If they won't change the system for better scrutiny of public servants, elect new ones. Make it an issue in your community, because it won't change until the members of the community hold their elected officials part of the responsible parties.

I know, I know, it seems like getting rid of the rotten ones is an impossibility, but it isn't. I hear all the time that tenured teachers can't be fired, they certainly can and I have worked for principals and districts that have gotten rid of them. What happens more often though, is because it takes a lot effort to go through the steps, along with compiling the evidence, the supervisors claim they can do nothing.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree that there should be methods to expedite getting rid of public servants who commit egregious acts that endanger lives, and if nothing else there should be mechanisms to immediately remove them to a non-public access position while it is being investigated. Pressure your elected officials. If they won't change the system for better scrutiny of public servants, elect new ones. Make it an issue in your community, because it won't change until the members of the community hold their elected officials part of the responsible parties.

I know, I know, it seems like getting rid of the rotten ones is an impossibility, but it isn't. I hear all the time that tenured teachers can't be fired, they certainly can and I have worked for principals and districts that have gotten rid of them. What happens more often though, is because it takes a lot effort to go through the steps, along with compiling the evidence, the supervisors claim they can do nothing.
The problem is the majority don't have a problem with bad public servants when they aren't the ones directly affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies