Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Columbus Day 100 68.49%
Indigenous Peoples' Day 46 31.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

One of the main reason Europeans and Columbus sailed West was to discover a new trade route with the far east and get around having to travel through land of the troublesome muslims. Columbus just happened to discover the New World in the process. So you can partly thank or blame the muslims or trade for Europeans sailing to the Americas.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:11 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because you created a false narrative or premise from the first sentence which I did reply.
You did as well then. I was not talking about classical liberalism or neoliberalism, which from my point of view are actually more similar than the more mainstream left wing form of liberalism in progressivism or some form of social liberalism. I was talking about the broad school of thought that is liberalism. As I thought was stupidly obvious. Liberals, across the board, believe in a handful of general things and then express them in different ways. Republicans and Democrats both believe in liberty, but have a slightly different idea of what that specifically means.

Regardless, I brought that up only to put into context the justifications given for the cultural genocide, and how those reasons were hypocritical, by pretty much any kind of liberalisms standards. Which you didn't respond to because... why? That was the hard part? It was easier to give a pseudo response about the difference between neoliberalism and classical liberalism as if that changes a single thing I said? I'm not impressed. If you want surface level BS dialogue, respond to someone else. I see no value in it.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:28 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Neither. We should move the holiday to the Tuesday following the first Monday in November and rename it Election Day.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
The American Thinker is for people who don't think.

Let's run through what this says.

Firstly, no. That's not why we celebrate Columbus Day. Columbus day was not celebrated in the US until Italian immigrants started asking it to be. They celebrated it because Columbus actually has some relevance to Italian history. But not to the US. Not really. Maybe that doesn't matter, but if we're gonna say why we celebrate it, can we at least do the readers of this ****ty blog a favor and tell them the real reason?

Next, just a fun bit, the American Thinker describes the atrocities (it used that word) of Columbus as irrelevant. Compare that to articles it's written on Muhammad. Or even later in the article when it highlights the fact that Native populations waged war, so somehow they're evil. More so than the Europeans, who took a technology developed in China for fireworks and used it to kill people. Yes, gun powder was invented in China. So was paper, the printing press, and the first compass.

And while clearly a name like the American Thinker would indicate bias, but I just can't help but chuckle that extent to which this bias goes. It happily lists off bad things Natives do, while simultaneously brushing Columbus enslave, raping, and killing hundreds aside. Or the long history of very similar things that the Natives did in America happening in Europe. Sure, there was human sacrifice in the Americas. At the same time, witches and homosexuals (which I bring up that later for the Thinker pointing out that Europeans introduce universal human values to the natives... c'mon) were being burned alive. Sure, the Native gods don't exist, but witches aren't real either.

It also says that the Natives didn't have a claim to the land; it was whoever could take it by force. This also isn't true. The Supreme Court ruled on if the land grab was justified, and it was based on John Locke's principles of property. The argument, which I brought up before but no one has been brave enough to address this (shocker...), was that because the Natives were nomadic, they didn't put labor into the land, so it wasn't there land. But not all tribes were nomadic. Plenty had agriculture, which was the labor they were looking for at the time. And the same misconception that makes people think the Natives were a bunch of peace loving hippies allows the Supreme Court to make a false claim, then the American Thinker not look at American history and just make some **** up that people not able to think on their own believe and spread on this forum.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Columbus Day.

He is one of the mos important figures in history, it was he who sparked the largest human migration ever, and basically provided the spark to what became of the world today.

It is only revisionist/people with social agendas that try to minimize his relevance.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Columbus. But I'm biased since part of my family came from Genoa. And I can't unlearn that song from 3rd grade!

"Christopher Columbus didn't have a compass..."

Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
The Indians were just immigrants that came across the land bridge between the USA and Russia.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I love wishing my Italian buddy at work a happy "Indigenous Peoples Day". The response is always the same. He wants me to do something unnatural to my mother.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:19 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I feel conflicted because Columbus is very overrated but the White Liberals pushing for Indigenous Peoples Day are hypocrites who not only continue to live on stolen land but want to bring in other people (like refugees) to come and live on stolen land without ever asking Indigenous People if they want them. Typically such an argument has Alt Right type White nationalists and on the other side are the SJWs, perhaps my two least favorite groups of people.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
I don't care if there is a Columbus day celebrated or not but I would not celebrate an "Indigenous American's Day" as no one was native to this country/continent. Indian culture is alive and well today so I don't know what all the fuss is about the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies