Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Columbus Day 100 68.49%
Indigenous Peoples' Day 46 31.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Tobacco and coca (cocaine) were found in Egyptian mummies. Those plants only grew in the Americas 3,000 years ago.

The fact is, MANY people and cultures 'discovered' America.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:16 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The Indians got defeated and; IF the "white" man really wanted to murder all of the AI's in cold blood, they could've done that.
Just because I'm alive, am I supposed to be grateful that your ancestors spared a few of mine?

Old 10-09-2016, 02:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Just because I'm alive, am I supposed to be grateful that your ancestors spared a few of mine?
Maybe you should be happy; just like I'm happy that some of my ancestors from Ireland wen't sent to Barbados as slaves. Many of us died but, I DON'T blame the English in 2016 for what happened way back in the day. Hell; many times when different Indian tribes mixed it up; ALL of the members on the losing side were murdered. It was NOT just a "white" thing.

Despicable what happened but; that's how things were done before any of us were born.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:15 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Stupidity is "standing with the Native Americans by standing against Columbus Day" but then ignoring the significant problems they face the other 364 days of the year
Stupidity? Again, "all or nothing" mentality. Just because I don't dedicate my life to helping them doesn't mean I must celebrate their genocide. Having a day the honors you IS meaningful in and of itself.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Stupidity? Again, "all or nothing" mentality. Just because I don't dedicate my life to helping them doesn't mean I must celebrate their genocide. Having a day the honors you IS meaningful in and of itself.
There was no policy of or genocide. Genocide was not the policy of British and European warfare or of the colonies or the US, but was seen in Amerindian warfare. Statements like that are not standing with Indians but standing against western Europeans and their descendants today. People that do that should leave.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
And all modern humans originate from Africa.
That seems to be a popular theory. Why did some change so profoundly after they left? I would say "modern" humans evolved outside of Africa.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That seems to be a popular theory. Why did some change so profoundly after they left? I would say "modern" humans evolved outside of Africa.
He couched it by saying "human" which could include the genus and species, so claimed no evolution occured. But on the contrary, a whole lot of evolution transpired since anatomically modern humans left somewhere in Africa theory. I agree with everything Old Glory says except I think American Indians are a separate identity group from their Eurasian origin and a sub-race, so aboriginal or semi-indigenuous, but I still agree with his conclusions.

Let's not complicate Columbus Day. He was the first European credited correctly or not with discovering the New World and leading to its settlement. Efforts to trash it are really just efforts to trash all Europeans.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-09-2016 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There was no policy of or genocide. Genocide was not the policy of British and European warfare or of the colonies or the US, but was seen in Amerindian warfare. Statements like that are not standing with Indians but standing against western Europeans and their descendants today. People that do that should leave.
1. Yeah, of course, it can be characterized as a genocide, but genocide is an abstract concept that is not always rooted in any one particular policy or any one single event. That doesn't make it any less real.

2. It is not standing against western European descendants. I have no doubt that many who would support Native American causes do so out of anti-white antipathy and cultural Marxist inclinations, and most likely my position is shared by many I frankly despise, such as communists. But I approach this from an entirely different perspective. There is nothing at all anti-white or cultural Marxist about supporting the dignity of other, non-European peoples. I feel a sense of sympathy for Native Americans because of their history of oppression and subjugation, which my people can relate to. I am a staunch nationalist, but I am absolutely not a supremacist.

3. I'm aware that many Italians take particular pride in Columbus Day. Most northwestern European descendants don't seem to care much about Columbus Day one way or the other. But some Italians do care. Why they care, I don't know. Frankly, I think they have a lot they can already take pride in, and should take pride in. I don't see what's necessary about celebrating Columbus Day.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

Let's not complicate Columbus Day. He was the first European credited correctly or not with discovering the New World and leading to it's settlement. Efforts to trash it are really just efforts to trash all Europeans.
ALL Europeans? No. See my explanation that is is not about trashing western Europeans. But my people had nothing to do with the genocide of the Native Americans: same for many other white ethnicities (eastern Europeans in particular). So even the potential for this statement to be true is nonexistent.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
ALL Europeans? No. See my explanation that is is not about trashing western Europeans. But my people had nothing to do with the genocide of the Native Americans: same for many other white ethnicities (eastern Europeans in particular). So even the potential for this statement to be true is nonexistent.
There was no genocide, but even if there was "your people" are just as responsible if you live in the US as those with Western European ancestry. You are benefiting from the sacrifices and efforts of W. Europeans the same as their descendants are. You are just trashing western Europeans or at the least favoring your ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies