Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,500,533 times

Advertisements

My father was president of a union in the 60's. Trust me, we were very middle class.
No money hidden, no fancy life style. My brother and I didn't inherit a lot.
As long as stereotypes are being tossed around, We were not italian, not on the east coast.

Actually the product my dad's union made were used on the NASA Apollo projects and for the war in vietnam. So there was lots of government involvement in the business. And the back ground check my father went thorough was unbelievable. Bad Unions leaders would of never made it in this business.

Someone has been watching too many mob movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,535,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Obama rightfully gets blamed for many things, but people not saving shouldn't be one of them. To get a real picture of savings they should look at not just savings accounts but also IRA and 401K savings, but either way if someone won't put 1 or 2% of their take home away for savings it's not Obamas fault. And yes, there are people who honestly can't save that, but certainly no where near 70% of people CAN'T put something away for savings. Cutting out a few trips to Starbucks would accomplish that if they were willing to.
Absolutely. I have mentioned Starbucks before myself. Those spending $5 a day during the work week for coffee could cut that out and have a $160 set aside every month. Bring your lunch to work and eat out on Fridays.

I know a couple of people who are always whining about money, but anytime they have a little it's spent on things they don't need. An example one of them showed me a popcorn maker they ordered off Amazon, they have shared some of their financial difficulties and I am thinking what on earth do you need a popcorn maker for? It's called a microwave, you already have one of those. These are items you do without out.

Also every time so new device comes out you see people standing in line waiting for it. You don't need a $400 phone.

Don't blame Obama for being unable to put some money aside.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Fifty years ago, one could get 5% on passbook savings.

Why would anybody keep cash in a bank?
I keep my money in the bank in case I ever need it for emergencies. I want to always have $10-$15k in the bank in case I need it so I can quickly go and get it via a branch. I have had to use it to repair a vehicle or to pay for treatment for a sick pet at the vet.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:28 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,741,702 times
Personal Savings Rate, though, answers a different question, since it is a ratio of personal income saved to net disposable income. As disposable income decreases, the ratio can increase significantly without actual savings going up. (This is reflected by the enormous variability from 2008 to 2013.)
Also, large income high savers can create big swings, when the original survey is more addressing low income low savers.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,741,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Fifty years ago, one could get 5% on passbook savings.

Why would anybody keep cash in a bank?
So they have funds that can be readily liquidated (unlike retirement accounts) in an emergency.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:32 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,216,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What do you whine about? Havent you supported the super rich and their puppets for decades? The so-called "job creators"? As long as you continue to hate the concept of unions and a government that invests in the quality of the life of the people, you get what you deserve.
So people that own and run businesses and hire people AREN'T job creators?

Have you explained this to your manager at work?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,498,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
EXACTLY!

2015 for example saw US auto makers enjoy a record sales year, many would rather buy MORE stuff than save for the bad times.
On the other hand, where might the economy be if everyone lived within their means and had a nest egg of savings?

Seems to me many people's self esteem is linked to their stuff. Feeling bad? Go out and buy something else you don't really need.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM

20,580 posts, read 19,245,135 times
I do not even have a savings account.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:37 AM

20,580 posts, read 19,245,135 times
If the savings rate is to go up, then we are going to need more borrowers. Who will that be?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,923,201 times
The gen x and millennials are "owed" a secure future because they got the short end of the stick... Thanks Obozo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies