Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:02 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwizitor View Post
Reproductive rights, breast cancer, domestic violence, they already get plenty of attention.
But it's only recently that they did. Those things were hard-won. I once met the author of the first article in a major magazine addressing domestic violence against women. She wrote it in 1975. That's not long ago. That's right, until that point, men were not arrested for beating their wives unless the wife pressed charges herself--and of course, if she did that, she'd be beaten or killed when he was released a day or two later. There were no restraining orders.

When I was a kid, I never saw a female letter carrier or cop. A woman doctor was an oddity. Right after I got my first job, we got our first female engineer. The men were so uncomfortable having a woman on the jobsite, and she had to put up with a lot of unkind crap.

I am not elderly. I am in my 50s. This is not ancient history. These things are still relatively new to our world.

As for breast cancer, 30, 40 years ago it was so shameful to lose a breast that women refused surgery and died rather than lose a breast and be considered less than whole. Do you think women in the 50s, 60s, 70s, were having mammograms?

When did rape of a woman by her husband become illegal? The 80s, maybe?

They get attention because people stood up for women. They've accomplished a lot, but women are still sexually assaulted regularly while society turns a blind eye, and the pay scales are not yet equal. Some private firms still won't hire women. There's still a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 5,216 times
I think feminism is simply about justice issues I applaud a group that organizes for their rights be it labor in the 30's or African Americans in the 50's/60's or women in the last 40 yrs- I think those groups have shown us a more just society I was born white and middle class but never though what a privilege I had just for those things

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Most women I know are feminists, my doctor, legislators, teachers, co-workers. They have careers, vote, go to school, buy houses, have credit cards, raise families, use contraceptives, etc. all the privileges afforded by feminism.
Feminism half a century ago represented women having a career, pursuing a higher education, etc... which is most people support. That is what feminism used to be about. Now, it's man hating bigotry.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Feminism half a century ago represented women having a career, pursuing a higher education, etc... which is most people support. That is what feminism used to be about. Now, it's man hating bigotry.
You nailed it!!

Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
I support equal rights for all, but that's not what feminism is about. It is about advantages for women.

Girls graduate high school and college at higher rates than boys so what do we do in response? Emphasize and prioritize the education of girls.

Women live longer than men so what do we do? Put Women's Health Centers in every hospital and fund research dedicated to improving the health of women. Where are the Men's Health Centers? Where are the gala fundraisers and events for testicular cancer and prostate cancer?

Women can be anything they want in the military, or not as they choose. Men still have to register for the draft. Why not women?

Why aren't the feminists screaming for male-female equality in Family Court? Is it perhaps because it is so grossly lopsided in favor of women.

Until feminists start speaking out against this kind of inequality, they will continue to be hypocrites.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
I don't "get" the point of feminism.

The women I've known always achieved what they desired to master. Some what people call traditional, some non-traditional.

It's been that way for four generations, at least!

I work in both traditional and non-traditional settings. The only time I hear squalling about equal rights for women is when one comes to my non-traditional setting and complains, but will not do the work. Won't get their hands greasy? Get too tired stacking hay? Don't do manure?

Screw them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies