Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Hmm? I never said people believe theft is always ok...just that they believe it's okay if done by the state. They'll definitely say theft is wrong, but they don't apply that to taxation, eminent domain, etc....they actually support theft in those cases.

That's why I said in another post that I'm labeled an extremist sometimes. I don't believe in theft of any kind.
Well then why are you disagreeing with my statement.

Even in regards to your examples of taxes, eminent domain, etc., if you ask most Americans on the street if they want more taxes or if they want their homes taken by eminent domain, I'm sure a majority will say "no." However, many people do not consider taxes or eminent domain to be "theft" since you get something from them. One of my great grandmothers lost 2 homes due to eminent domain in particular and she was kind of happy about it since she held out longer than anyone and got nearly double the value of her home both times it happened.

Again, theft being "wrong" is a common, populist belief in this country. Just like rape being "wrong." These are not extreme views.

Now believing "taxes" are ALWAYS wrong or believing that eminent domain is ALWAYS wrong are extremist views and if you believe both of those, then yes, you are an extremist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
You know there are claims and then there are facts. No one needs to back up a fact.
1. increase taxes

Which taxes? What increase are we referring to? This is without so much information.

2. increase EPA regulations

Which changes to regulations? Were they good changes? Why were they implemented?

3. destroy the coal industry

The coal industry is massive, in what way was it destroyed?

4. use the IRS to attack conservatives

"Attack" in what way? Why only conservatives? Do you believe the IRS has a vendetta against JUST conservatives?

5. use the DOJ to protect corruption

This is such a broad statement, but I can understand why you'd say it.

6. set the middle east on fire

Hehe, the middle east. Are we talking specifics here or are we talking about the wars going on?

7. keep open borders and not enforce immigration

Obama deported more than 2.5 million people, far more than most!

8. Obamacare- a disaster that republicans could not prevent

I'm not a fan of Obamacare either, but if memory serves, the original proposal was bashed apart by congress before it was passed.

9. increase the debt $10 trillion

The National Debt is not an easy thing to understand, and I don't claim to understand it. I do know however that there is a lot more to it than just saying the debt increased.

10. enflame racial hatred and tension in the US

Did he? Seems like an opinion to me.

11. appoint two radical Supreme Court justices

"Radical"? . Which ones? What makes them radical?

12. abandon traditional allies

Which ones and why?

13. expanded corruption and cronyism in the federal government

Sweeping statement, missing information.

The majority of "facts" on this list are nothing more than a bunch of opinions compiled together without context or sources.

Moving on.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
[quote=residinghere2007;45810421women not having to pay more than men,[/QUOTE]

Why is women not having to pay more than men a good thing?

Do you believe men not having to pay more for life insurance than women would be a good thing?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why is women not having to pay more than men a good thing?

Do you believe men not having to pay more for life insurance than women would be a good thing?
Yes I do think men should not have to pay more for life insurance either. I think it should go by age and smokers/non-smokers only.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes I do think men should not have to pay more for life insurance either. I think it should go by age and smokers/non-smokers only.
That does not reflect the different risk factors. The fact is, all other things being equal, males are more likely to die during the term of a life insurance policy.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:58 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Well then why are you disagreeing with my statement.

Even in regards to your examples of taxes, eminent domain, etc., if you ask most Americans on the street if they want more taxes or if they want their homes taken by eminent domain, I'm sure a majority will say "no." However, many people do not consider taxes or eminent domain to be "theft" since you get something from them. One of my great grandmothers lost 2 homes due to eminent domain in particular and she was kind of happy about it since she held out longer than anyone and got nearly double the value of her home both times it happened.

Again, theft being "wrong" is a common, populist belief in this country. Just like rape being "wrong." These are not extreme views.

Now believing "taxes" are ALWAYS wrong or believing that eminent domain is ALWAYS wrong are extremist views and if you believe both of those, then yes, you are an extremist.
I guess that's the key thing. Taxation and eminent domain are theft, even if people don't think of it that way. It's actually one of the most fundamental issues I see - people see something as wrong if they or some average citizen does it, but when the state does the same thing they put it in a totally different category...as if the fact that the government did it transforms a bad action into an acceptable one.

If I kicked you out of your house and took it for my own use, that would be theft. Even if I decided to pay you for it, it's still theft. Maybe you aren't that attached to the property, but if that's the case then we could have just come to a consensual agreement. The government just takes by force, regardless of whether you consent or not.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:13 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Your 401K doing pretty well has nothing to do with Mr Obama. All the Fed and the insanely accommodative policies for the banking industry. Bin Laden was on the way to a has been, having been shoved aside by 2010. It was matter of time for Bin Laden, but you are correct, he was found and killed in early May 2011.

You must live in Cleveland, Detroit or some other gutted rust belt city if you house is just now above water. More supply and demand then anything magical Mr Obama did.

$700 with how much deductible, co-pays, etc. High for an individual and if its a family, well you are not paying for it. Other tax payers are through your premium subsidies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Come on now, Bin Laden was killed on his watch, he bailed the banking industry out, he bailed the automotive industry out, my house value is starting to climb (almost above water now), my 401k has done pretty well, and my Health Care is only $700 a month.
So not all of it is negative...

Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. record numbers of US citizens on food stamps
Actually, this is wrong. There were more people on food stamps under Bush II.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I guess that's the key thing. Taxation and eminent domain are theft, even if people don't think of it that way. It's actually one of the most fundamental issues I see - people see something as wrong if they or some average citizen does it, but when the state does the same thing they put it in a totally different category...as if the fact that the government did it transforms a bad action into an acceptable one.

If I kicked you out of your house and took it for my own use, that would be theft. Even if I decided to pay you for it, it's still theft. Maybe you aren't that attached to the property, but if that's the case then we could have just come to a consensual agreement. The government just takes by force, regardless of whether you consent or not.
But roads...

Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah, you're probably right. Not going to bother anymore.
You never did bother in the first place. You didn't do anything except deny and deflect, just because you said. Never even challenged one thing. Just babbled in each and every post. Not even one attempt to prove the poster wrong. Not once. lol I'm embarrassed for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies