Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Just look at Europe...government broke health care system. Welfare paid to refugees and unemployed and the minority who work have to pay for all of that by paying very high taxes.

Roads, Airports, etc. will be worse as they are now as there will not be enough money to keep up with maintenance.

People who are no longer motivated to work long hours as government checks will be enough to stay longer in bed and enjoy life so why work long hours for paying more tax money and ending up with almost the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I expect America will be far better off than it already is if Sec Clinton is elected and her Presidency followed by more Democrats.

We will be dishonored and bankrupt if The Donald ever becomes Tyrant.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:11 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I expect America will be far better off than it already is if Sec Clinton is elected and her Presidency followed by more Democrats.
Please DO elaborate. I would love to hear an explanation.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Just look at Europe...government broke health care system. Welfare paid to refugees and unemployed and the minority who work have to pay for all of that by paying very high taxes.

Roads, Airports, etc. will be worse as they are now as there will not be enough money to keep up with maintenance.

People who are no longer motivated to work long hours as government checks will be enough to stay longer in bed and enjoy life so why work long hours for paying more tax money and ending up with almost the same.
Umm... what do you mean "minority who work." Working people are, as far as I know, still in the majority. Even with very high unemployment, most people still work. It's not as if 20% of the population is working while the other 80% sit at home. The 20% of working people couldn't possibly sustain a welfare system on their own. This is why many support immigration; it brings in people who can be taxed. Immigrants from the target regions, the Middle East and (mainly in the US) Latin America, have more kids which will causes the unimpressive birth rates in Western countries to increase, allowing to sustain the incompetent welfare system longer.

I'm not against welfare, for what it's worth. I'm against much of the current policy that goes into it. The concept of the state helping people in need out are fine by me, so long as it's done properly. I also oppose open border policies and think we need to cut down on immigration. Not because of any racial or ethnic reasons; purely economics. Once we get our **** together, I'm fine with letting in people from other nations, but we've got problems at home that are being completely ignored because we're talking about other issues that really have extremely straightforward solutions.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
I also disagree with your assumptions. We are not at a low point historically. We're better off now than we were in the 30's (Great Depression), 40s (WWII), 60s (Cold War, riots and Vietnam) and 70s (stagflation and Watergate). The 80s and 90s were pretty good; the past 16 years we've been going pretty much sideways.
Agree with the person who said look to Europe. Very gradually we are becoming more like Europe. That means more social programs, weaker military and some struggle with immigration issues. But Northern European countries still have the best quality of life, medical care, education, etc so it's not all bad.
Bottom line is I don't expect all that much change in a mere20 years.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Chinese ruled.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
A toxic mix of Brazil and Syria, with nukes.
More like Tibet or Xinjiang. The nukes will have long since been spirited off to Beijing.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:51 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
No hyperbole please, what does a weakend America look like in 10 or 20 years?

Personally, I think it's hyperbolic to assume America is weakened and will be more so in 10-20 years.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:56 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb No hyperbole please, what does a weakend America look like in 10 or 20 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Regardless of who wins this election, we are at a low point in modern history.
That's hyperbole.
Quote:
Debt is high, and incentive to create jobs elsewhere is high. I'm not saying this country is over, there's still great potential here and an individual can still make a very good life for themselves if they are smart enough to figure it out and earn it. But for the common man, maybe not so much.

I honestly don't believe, even with all the rhetoric and warmongering, that we are going to enter World War 3.
Good, because it's pure psycho talk.
Quote:
The old adage of mutually assured destruction will still keep that from happening. The drums may beat, but the band will never assemble. Although it is certainly possible, and unfortunately likely, that Isis will probably attack American and European cities for the foreseeable future.

Make no mistake, Russia and China are not sitting back idly while we enter our weakened state. Again, nobody's going to attack anybody, but Cold War 2 is here, and live as we speak.

The cost of healthcare continues to skyrocket. Somebody has to get this under control.
And it'll continue to as long as health care and health insurance is owned and operated by profit-driven corporations. The sooner we go to a single payer system, the better off 99% of us will be.

Quote:
What is your opinion as other countries continue to rise in power and we stagnate or even decline?
My opinion is that your entire premise is faulty.

Your pessimism makes me think that you've been listening to right wing radio and watching Fox News.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:18 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No hyperbole please, what does a weakend America look like in 10 or 20 years?

Personally, I think it's hyperbolic to assume America is weakened and will be more so in 10-20 years.
I think it is equally hyperbolic to assume America is strong or stronger than what has been claimed.

So there, I invalidated your objection and like you, I provided no means to defend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies