Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:16 PM

435 posts, read 431,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Excerpt from The New Colossus engraved on the Statue of Liberty in 1903;

" Give me your tired, poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shores
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me
I lift my lamp besides the golden door"

- Emma Lazarius 1883
Yes, give me those people so the great Robber Barons of Industry could make their money and grow their industries!!!

My great grandmother came to America from Poland all by herself b/c she was told "there were streets of gold" and she would get rich quickly. Well, after spending her last penny to get here, she quickly found out that was a lie and she was left penniless and did not know a soul. She was shipped to Detroit (major center for industry) So, what did she do? She got to work. She learned English. She forced her children to learn English. All this without free health care, food stamps and social security.

Social benefits and the economic maturity of our country is very different than it was 130 years ago. The notion that we should just accept anybody and everybody that is tired, poor, and homeless b/c 100+ years ago Andrew Carnegie and crew needed cheap labor to power his factories is silly IMO.

A nation should first and foremost do what is in the interest of its citizens. I do believe we still would benefit from certain immigration but we do not benefit from an unfettered open border which we seemingly have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 04:18 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Yes, give me those people so the great Robber Barons of Industry could make their money and grow their industries!!!

My great grandmother came to America from Poland all by herself b/c she was told "there were streets of gold" and she would get rich quickly. Well, after spending her last penny to get here, she quickly found out that was a lie and she was left penniless and did not know a soul. She was shipped to Detroit (major center for industry) So, what did she do? She got to work. She learned English. She forced her children to learn English. All this without free health care, food stamps and social security.

Social benefits and the economic maturity of our country is very different than it was 130 years ago. The notion that we should just accept anybody and everybody that is tired, poor, and homeless b/c 100+ years ago Andrew Carnegie and crew needed cheap labor to power his factories is silly IMO.

A nation should first and foremost do what is in the interest of its citizens. I do believe we still would benefit from certain immigration but we do not benefit from an unfettered open border which we seemingly have now.

Good post!

Old 10-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I agree with you,

also many black Americans have been here much longer than white Americans but under different circumstances, involuntary, but they should also be grateful to be here.

A lot of people hating immigrants forget that their families came from somewhere else too.

Who hates legal immigrants that are a benefit to our society and assimilate?

Old 10-15-2016, 05:16 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't need a DNA test. I'm happy with who I am now.

If I found out through some test that I wasn't all black, I'd still be the same person. So why take it?

Your choice.

I, for one, found it fascinating to learn fully as to what was in my background. For example, I was quite surprised to find that I had Scandinavian and Finland/Northwest Russian ancestry in the mix. Combined, it came to 10%. It was clearly from my Dad's side but neither he nor his sister have any idea as to how it got there In fact, they were both quite surprised to know that it was in their background.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who hates legal immigrants that are a benefit to our society and assimilate?
Rednecks and ignorant racists.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:48 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG16 View Post
They invaded America and raped, robbed and pillaged the TRUE inhibatants of this country, the Indians.

I'm sure the Indians hate your people came here.
Except for history; that doesn't mean a thing in 2016. Too; many of the American Indian tribes weren't any better, even before 1492.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:52 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Since when is "legal immigrant" a race?

Old 10-15-2016, 05:58 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As I get older, I am looking at life differently. One of the things I have thought about is fate. What if my great grandparents and grandparents had not made that decision decades ago to leave their homes and journey to America based on simply the hope that they would find a better life ?

My ancestors came from places like Czechoslovakia, Germany, and Wales. They came with nothing except pretty much the clothes on their backs and a little food in sacks to hold them over. They were not particularly welcomed with open arms, many had their surnames changed by the people at Ellis Island, to names that were maybe close to their own.

People, in general, did not want them here, they were called horrible names and shunned, but they worked hard, kept their noses clean, and raised their children to be Americans. Eventually, they proved they were no threat and people started to accept them more and more. Today, they are part of the American fabric.

People tend to forget that we ALL came here from some other country, unless you are Native American. How rude of us to now want to deny other people, from other countries, the same opportunities we all were afforded. I can not even begin to imagine what my life would be like if my ancestors didn't make that leap of faith and struggle to become Americans.

As much as we all fear the new people coming here from places like Syria, or Mexico, they are no different from my ancestors, and yours. Will there be some bad apples, sure. But most are no different from us and simply need a chance to prove themselves and build a better life for their families.

Think about where you would be living right now if your ancestors had not done exactly the same as mine. I know different scares us all, but we were all different at one time. In this election, we are hearing all kinds of unkind things about people coming to this country, I just felt it appropriate to point out our own histories and backgrounds.

Don
Unfortunately, it's a much different time than when your great grandparents came to America.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
White people? LOL! Who cares what dead people thought anyway?
For starters....the people who respect our Constitution. Which, free clue, is a compilation of the thoughts of dead people.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:

And they would be among the minority in this country so why even bring it up? Rednecks are usually southerners so you are saying that the majority of them are racists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies