Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Actually, it's too boring. All of this has been hashed and re-hashed in numerous threads.

I swear, C-D needs "Racist Rants" forum.
This is the forum for that because many threads end up with liberals accusations of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Is this topic to controversial or too politically incorrect?
Too over-discussed. It's already been talked about ad nauseam.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:46 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
im lost.

I thought we were focusing on how terrible cops are.

I mean we kneel during the Anthem.
we shoot cops that are protecting protesters
the protesters that were being protected by the cops in dallas, when the cops got killed, are still protesting the cops that got shot protecting them
there are multiple threads per day on the subject talking about the thousands of people that are being gunned down by the cops even though less than 200 unarmed people per year get killed by the police.

I thought we were focusing almost myopicall on this.... or is everyone now focused on how many boobies Donald Trump can be accused of fondling?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,238 times
Quote:
Why are we not addressing WHY certain cops are targeting certain groups? Maybe there is a rational reason for it. Maybe these certain groups commit more crimes? Why are there no more focus on WHY the cops are targeting these groups and how to fix the original cause for certain cops to act that way?
I think it just shows how badly the US is struggling with its historic racial issues, and how little progress has been made, that the "profiling" issue comes up at all. Profiling is something people to do every day, and it's usually mark of being intelligent-- you look for patterns and make predictions on those patterns. One of my tasks in an old job was to profile people based on spending patterns and develop targeted advertising. It's what you're supposed to do. Yet because of the racial history in the country, suddenly we're supposed to turn off that profiling practice when it comes to making guesses about who's most likely to commit crimes. People aren't going to do that in the real world, whether cops or normal people. Nobody wants to get mugged or attacked, so if we're in a bad neighborhood or street corner, we're going to profile for personal protection if nothing else, based on characteristics we associate with a higher likelihood of crime. We can't not do it. And no, it's not just race, there are some white neighborhoods near where I grew up that I would have never gone in, either. But it can be a factor.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Why are we not addressing WHY certain cops are targeting certain groups? Maybe there is a rational reason for it. Maybe these certain groups commit more crimes? Why are there no more focus on WHY the cops are targeting these groups and how to fix the original cause for certain cops to act that way?
This has been asked and in general has already been answered. Black people commit more crime. The ethical question being asked is if it's right to make an assumption that a black person has or is committing a crime based on evidence that is hardly evidence. Issues of probable cause, police brutality, and profiling are at the core of that. And yes, it is still profiling to stop a black guy just because maybe he's guilty of something serious.

Most rapists are men. If there's a rape in my area, I don't want to be pulled over just because I'm a man. A black person likely feels the same way. Do you feel different about this?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In my experience, cops target non cops.
Umm...yea. They do. I mean, just interact with a cop, in a totally innocent way. Ask him/her for directions, say. Bout 7 out of 10 times, you'll get asked where you're from, what's your business, and to present your ID. Sheesh, I just wanted to know how to get to Wal Mart, ya know. I figured a cop would know their way around. Silly me.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Why are we not addressing WHY certain cops are targeting certain groups?

Yeah, a lot of pajama boy liberals are wondering why Officer Friendly is targeting violent thugs who probably never knew their daddy and grew up disadvantaged.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:35 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
I think it just shows how badly the US is struggling with its historic racial issues, and how little progress has been made, that the "profiling" issue comes up at all.
Its not that only little progess has been made, its that progess happened but for certain groups that incentivize incarceration.

Nixon started the war on drugs to stop anti-war hippies and black people. His aide John Ehrlichman admitted it.
Quote:
“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”
It further drove the ghetto into poverty and raised the incarceration rates.

Then Reagan further pushed the war on drugs, while the privatized prisons like Corrections Corporation of America (CCR) grew huge and started holding contracts with states. They forced states to have a minumum capacity of the prisons, making prisons a huge moneymaker. That forced towns to force arrest quotas on police, antagonizing the brutality behavior.

Tons of companies like Victoria secret and Walmart had manufacturing in prisons.

Clinton signed the "Crime Law' which militarized police and grew the DEA, incarcerating more people.
ALEC was making and passing out laws to state senators like candy, putting laws into practice that benefitted their ties with companies like CCR.

It wasnt until recently that all the companies saw what CCR was doing to people and pulled out their support. Now CCR and ALEC are trying to profit off of parole costs as opposed to putting people in prison, and Hilary is now pushing the line of ending mass incarceration for profit.

Cops come from these families that have seen black people be victim to this system for years, without actually knowing they are victims of a system. Theres poor black people out there that dont even understand that the people doing crimes around them isnt normal. The cops attitudes comes from a mix of dealing with people that hate them, and their superiors enabling them. I think everyone is in on the scam except the cops themselves.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Cops are going to go where the crime is. Period.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Most rapists are men. If there's a rape in my area, I don't want to be pulled over just because I'm a man. A black person likely feels the same way. Do you feel different about this?
If the suspect rapist is a 40 year old white man who is 6 feet tall and you fit that description, don't you think it's common sense that the cops spend a little more time on you for this case than to spend on 14 year old Jessica next door to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies