Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 484,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If anything, the Dems have become a regional party. And some are proud of that based on their instance that anything in between LA and NYC is not really America.
Democrats fully hold the state government in only 4 states.

GOP fully holds 25.

In the 21 other states you have GOP legislature and Dem governor (i.e. Virginia) or a Dem legislature and GOP governor (i.e. Maryland).

yeah I'd say the Dems are pretty much regional ATM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:51 PM

72,845 posts, read 62,249,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Lets see, you call 63,000,000 of your fellow Americans bigots. I'm willing to guess you never met, saw, know or had anything to do with 99.999999% of them. What you demonstrate simply that which you accuse.
Wow, jumping to conclusions. Show me where I called 63,000,000 people bigots.

I said he appealed to bigots. I wasn't accusing every person who voted for Trump of being a bigot. I was talking about a subculture he appealed to.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,314,243 times
weird thread. The Republicans won more than the presidency and held onto its majorities in the House and Senate. For the first time in 11 years, Republicans will control both the executive and legislative branches of government.

I would think there would be some soul searching among democrats about why their party is failing, you cant win elections without the white working class and middle america. The whole changing demographics and soon to be a minority white nation theory the democrats were counting on to win doesnt seem to be working

Old 12-02-2016, 02:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 484,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Dude, give it up. Next year there will be 16 Democrat governors. Six. Teen. PA, OH, WI, and FL just re-elected Republican senators, and the OH and FL races weren't even close. Democrats are at a seriously low ebb right now. What will it take for you people to just admit that you were wrong?
I honestly don't think Democrats know or care about anything but the WH.

It'd explain a lot. Dems are in a really bad spot and likely to be even weaker in 2018 after the Senate races given the states that will be up.

But they're still talking about what went wrong with the POTUS election and who they can run in 2020. It's like Congress and state governments don't even exist.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:53 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,027,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

After Trump loses, does anybody think the GOP will finally realize that Southern strategy no longer works? We are a very different, far more diverse country than we were in 1950 or even 1970. I think the conservative message could still be sold in America, even today, if not for the undertones of racism, homophobia, and Christian fundamentalism. Some in the GOP understand this, but it appears that most do not. I believe that if the GOP doesn't learn it's lesson after this election (the third consecutive Presidential loss) it may be over for the party on the national level and will continue to devolve until its a small regional party that controls the rural South.
Ahh...such hilarity. I can't get enough of this kind of stuff.

Didja ever notice that there has never been an electoral effort known as the "Western Strategy?"

Similarly, there has never been a corresponding set of tactics known as the "Northeastern Strategy" or the "Midwestern Strategy", either.

But you hear about the "Southern Strategy" all the time.

If I was a denizen of the West, or the Midwest, or the Northeast...I'd be wondering why candidate ever thought enough of my region to develop a electoral strategy for it.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,957,876 times
Quote:
This election is a fluke and not representative of where the country is headed. Hillary was a bad candidate, mired in scandal, and didn't really excite anybody. Her campaign rhetoric focused on demonizing Trump rather than energizing her base to vote FOR her (rather than against Trump) overstayed its welcome. That is why Hillary lost. 2020 will be a very different picture if Democrats play their cards right.
If it helps....

Old 12-02-2016, 05:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,314,243 times
I just realized the thread was started in October. lol Look at this map and tell me where does the blue states go from here. even the reliably blue states are overwhelmingly surrounded by red counties

oregon this was 2012 but actually pretty much looks like this most years

maryland

washington

this doesnt bode well for democrats future. The democrats are coastal California and a few cities and areas like seattle and portland , the black belt in the south and Hispanic new mexico and southwest and colorado, heavily minority south texas and south florida and the northeast with Minnesota barely staying blue this year. What a bizarre coalition of people

Old 12-02-2016, 06:09 PM

33,826 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Quote:
After Trump loses

Old 12-02-2016, 06:11 PM

33,826 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Democrats fully hold the state government in only 4 states.

GOP fully holds 25.

In the 21 other states you have GOP legislature and Dem governor (i.e. Virginia) or a Dem legislature and GOP governor (i.e. Maryland).

yeah I'd say the Dems are pretty much regional ATM.

Less than regional. Acela Belt plus west coast is pretty much all they have now.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
After Trump loses, does anybody think the GOP will finally realize that Southern strategy no longer works? We are a very different, far more diverse country than we were in 1950 or even 1970. I think the conservative message could still be sold in America, even today, if not for the undertones of racism, homophobia, and Christian fundamentalism. Some in the GOP understand this, but it appears that most do not. I believe that if the GOP doesn't learn it's lesson after this election (the third consecutive Presidential loss) it may be over for the party on the national level and will continue to devolve until its a small regional party that controls the rural South.
I'm still laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies