Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with some reasonable emergency preparation. The Mormons have done it for a century, laying up some dry stores, important sanitary necessities and the like. Nature and society always gives us some difficult times now and then, and winter always sends us a share of them every year.

But no matter who wins, the United States is not headed to imminent collapse. That this election has been so bitter is strong evidence our governmental system is still healthy enough to stand strong for some time to come.

We would be in real danger if we all agreed too much on too many important things that affect us all equally. We all share our largest problems; the only thing we differ on is the possible solutions to them. In time, we will straighten them out just as we have always done. That's something Americans do better than most other countries do, even it we do it in our own messy, over-heated way.

The United States is trying to shed its role as the world's policeman, but for a fact, that role, which has lasted for over 70 years, has left us in a much stronger and more protected state of affairs than the rest of the developed world.

This new century has delivered us one huge shock after another for the past 15 years without respite. Naturally, some folks have become fearful of the unknown, because the unknown has risen up like a monster and has bitten us badly, suddenly. Courage and confidence are not emotions we all share in full measure, but once a person's panic passes and he looks around at the realities of our daily lives, it's obvious that we have been badly bent a few times, but we are not broken yet.

On Wednesday, November 9th, most of us will wake up and lead our lives just the same as we did on the day before, or this morning. We'll feed the kids, go to work, make plans for the rest of the week, squabble with the old man or the old lady, listen to the music we liked the day before the election, wear the same clothes we wore a month ago, and we'll all be getting ready for winter, just as we have always done.

Some of us will still be scared of anything and everything that comes along, but most of us will concern ourselves with our daily lives, the struggles and the triumphs we are all handed, and go on to take whatever the future hands us.

Maybe we don't have the over-confidence we had in 2000, but is that a bad thing? I don't think so. No one gets stronger with no hard effort to create strength.

Most of us cannot imagine a complete collapse of our civilization in any truly realistic manner, because none of us know what such a collapse would truly bring.

But there would surely be stronger signs of imminent collapse than any signs we have now. We like to get over-heated over passing incidents, large and small. That's how we stay alert to what's going on here and abroad. Whether our way is good or not doesn't matter as much; despite our constant squabbling, we have always come to face what we all must together, sooner or later.
We are getting better at the sooner part in some things than we were before, I believe.

There is one essential element in our society that has existed from our very first beginnings: our national resilience. As Americans, we have always depended on each other because we had to, always, right from the first. That's a fact of our lives that is so ingrained into us all we are completely used to it. So much so that we take it for granted.

It's still there. When we need it for real, we always muster it up once more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:35 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Our economy is dieing now. It is almost dead.. the money is leaving the country.. the illegals send their money to Mexico to circulate there no longer circulating in our economy. We buy most products from China.. they are making money while our people get on food stamps.. This path is destroying us and we will be the poor nation as time goes by with the same policies. It is so easy to see.
Wow, still the world largest economy by GDP and we are almost dead. I could understand had you said declining rapidly, or growing too slow. I believe if it was almost dead, we would already be in a serious recession waiting for the bottom to fall out. I agree it could be better, but I'm sure lots of countries would love to trade places.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Wow, still the world largest economy by GDP and we are almost dead. I could understand had you said declining rapidly, or growing too slow. I believe if it was almost dead, we would already be in a serious recession waiting for the bottom to fall out. I agree it could be better, but I'm sure lots of countries would love to trade places.
What makes you think we aren't trading places?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Am I a prepper?

I'm 68 and we always keep 2 months non-perishable food supply on hand. IOW we could survive two months without going to the store.

Am I a prepper?

I also have an electric generator.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
This is Tom Cruises take on this as well as of the people that decided it would be a good idea to nominate Trump for President of The United States...

Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
In other words, life goes on.
Actually, economist are saying a crash......is coming in 3-4 yrs, one good thing if Hillary wins it will be on her watch and the last 8 yrs. of President Obama. Dems will be the most hated people, including their own who love to hate on each other. The Dem party will come apart, for one, Hillary's health will not last and the party will fail to have the dictatorship of the Clintons. Most likely will be crying for President Obama to step back in, its all the party has, VP Kaine will be unwise to all the chaos.

Most of you will also not see it coming.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
What will ultimately do us all in? 1. A Meteor 2. A Super Volcano 3. Thermonuclear Annihilation 4. Old Age In light of the present political leadership in power I would vote for #3.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Waring! If Trump Fails His Bid You Must Get Prepared!

Waring? So if Donny loses we should buy a blender and make Margaritas?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There's nothing wrong with some reasonable emergency preparation. The Mormons have done it for a century, laying up some dry stores, important sanitary necessities and the like. Nature and society always gives us some difficult times now and then, and winter always sends us a share of them every year.

But no matter who wins, the United States is not headed to imminent collapse. That this election has been so bitter is strong evidence our governmental system is still healthy enough to stand strong for some time to come.

We would be in real danger if we all agreed too much on too many important things that affect us all equally. We all share our largest problems; the only thing we differ on is the possible solutions to them. In time, we will straighten them out just as we have always done. That's something Americans do better than most other countries do, even it we do it in our own messy, over-heated way.

The United States is trying to shed its role as the world's policeman, but for a fact, that role, which has lasted for over 70 years, has left us in a much stronger and more protected state of affairs than the rest of the developed world.

This new century has delivered us one huge shock after another for the past 15 years without respite. Naturally, some folks have become fearful of the unknown, because the unknown has risen up like a monster and has bitten us badly, suddenly. Courage and confidence are not emotions we all share in full measure, but once a person's panic passes and he looks around at the realities of our daily lives, it's obvious that we have been badly bent a few times, but we are not broken yet.

On Wednesday, November 9th, most of us will wake up and lead our lives just the same as we did on the day before, or this morning. We'll feed the kids, go to work, make plans for the rest of the week, squabble with the old man or the old lady, listen to the music we liked the day before the election, wear the same clothes we wore a month ago, and we'll all be getting ready for winter, just as we have always done.

Some of us will still be scared of anything and everything that comes along, but most of us will concern ourselves with our daily lives, the struggles and the triumphs we are all handed, and go on to take whatever the future hands us.

Maybe we don't have the over-confidence we had in 2000, but is that a bad thing? I don't think so. No one gets stronger with no hard effort to create strength.

Most of us cannot imagine a complete collapse of our civilization in any truly realistic manner, because none of us know what such a collapse would truly bring.

But there would surely be stronger signs of imminent collapse than any signs we have now. We like to get over-heated over passing incidents, large and small. That's how we stay alert to what's going on here and abroad. Whether our way is good or not doesn't matter as much; despite our constant squabbling, we have always come to face what we all must together, sooner or later.
We are getting better at the sooner part in some things than we were before, I believe.

There is one essential element in our society that has existed from our very first beginnings: our national resilience. As Americans, we have always depended on each other because we had to, always, right from the first. That's a fact of our lives that is so ingrained into us all we are completely used to it. So much so that we take it for granted.

It's still there. When we need it for real, we always muster it up once more.
Mormons also don't believe in debt. Most people live on credit cards out of need these days, not wanting to. Young people are more in debt than any generation before them. Most have no idea how to fish, hunt or shoot a gun. More people are worried about likes from FB and other social media, they haven't taken the time to worry about extra food or need supplies for 30 days. Men use to make sure their family had supplies for emergency, now most men make sure their big trucks have wheels and they have the finest tattoo. Most women worry about selfies, tattoos, very few know how to cook from scratch or from very little. I grew up as a Mormon........I'm amazed at the people who have no idea how to have more than 2 days worth of food, extra water, extra animal food and canning is a lost art of our society. This administration and the Bush administration has done nothing, but give generations the false message we are not heading for a meltdown of our electric grid, cyber attacks, bad roads and infrastructure.

President Obama has used his whole 2 terms to divide the nation and build hate among many. Now he is claiming not agreeing with his failed healthcare system is because we're "racist." He is the most immature, race-baiting, hateful President to serve the American people and nasty Hillary is going to be no better.

Some good could come out of Hillary winning, maybe people will learn the things that gave their grandparents and great grandparents the strength to live with very little, yet survive hard times.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I don't think Trump can win and yes, Hillary will do more damage than Obama with amnesty, massive spending and taxes, and possible war against Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies