Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

I don't know many people who actually care about watching sports. They'd rather be out doing things themselves (like hiking, surfing, skiing, cycling), not watch other people do things.

For reference, most of us are mid 20s to early 30s. Most of us don't even have a TV.

Spectator sports seems to be more of a thing with the generations who are now 40+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I'll tune in to a good boxing match or an MMA match here and there, but that's only one or twice every few months. I can't see myself dedicating 5-6+hrs a week to just sitting there watching all types of sports. It just seems like a way to occupy your mind while you get old.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 AM

29,434 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There's very little in life that we control. And, in a way, that's the beauty of sports. It's a great few hours of escape from the challenges of life with all the things we're responsible for.

Now, I'm not so emotionally invested in teams that I get sad or depressed when they lose, otherwise I'd be on medication given how bad the Bears are, but I think there are people who live their lives around their team(s). They may go to every game, or they may have people over for every game, and it's a lifestyle. It's very much like Star Wars, Star Trek and Comic Con fans, who create a life around what those things.

These aren't people who moderately enjoy something - they've built their world around it. It's a bit unhealthy to be that extreme, in my opinion. There's a difference between disappointment your team lost, and depression over it.

I guess it's the same with the things I'm into. People just don't get how much of a rush it is doing 80mph plus thru the woods on a snowmobile , or 70mph thru the trails on a Side by Side UTV, or dumping endless amounts of money to gain 1mph on the water, or the same endless amounts of money to take a second or two off of an elapsed time at the drag strip.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:17 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I have just one word for you: The Ohio State University Buckeyes. (Yes that is just one word when pronounced properly)

Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I guess it's the same with the things I'm into. People just don't get how much of a rush it is doing 80mph plus thru the woods on a snowmobile , or 70mph thru the trails on a Side by Side UTV, or dumping endless amounts of money to gain 1mph on the water, or the same endless amounts of money to take a second or two off of an elapsed time at the drag strip.
I will be stock car racing with my son Sunday (true stock cars, 150 laps on a quarter mile dirt track). If the Indians played Sunday I would have been constantly checking the score every red flag.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:24 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I have just one word for you: The Ohio State University Buckeyes. (Yes that is just one word when pronounced properly)
Good one.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know many people who actually care about watching sports. They'd rather be out doing things themselves (like hiking, surfing, skiing, cycling), not watch other people do things.

For reference, most of us are mid 20s to early 30s. Most of us don't even have a TV.

Spectator sports seems to be more of a thing with the generations who are now 40+.
Here in NE Ohio its a big deal. After the Indians/Blue Jays game ended local store were sold out of T-Shirts and memorabilia. Same thing happened with the Cavs in June.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I can watch my favorite team for a couple of hours but I don't get all crazy if they lose. As far as watching it and it being a waste of time. That is a matter of opinion. I don't understand comic books, Star Wars, etc, but I don't concern myself with what other people do. I work 60+ hours a week. Do home projects and have honey-do lists, so spending two hours or so watching a game is my down time which I do about once every two weeks or so.
Good point. I actually watch a lot of sports but the next day my life goes on as normal LOL

Old 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
When they built the new MetLife Stadium at the Meadowlands in NJ - Jets and Giants season ticket holders spent anywhere from $1,000 to $20,000 per seat to retain ownership in the new stadium. Some took out loans, you think they take this too seriously LOL.

When it comes to new stadiums the owners know they can bleed anything they want out of the fans with the threat of moving, fans are just not rational when it comes to their teams.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Studies we've done show most millennials do have television. They're just moving away from cable and doing more streaming.

Nearly every millennial I know, and I have two of them so I know a ton of their friends and work with a good number of them, are into watching their home teams as well as their college teams. So 'most of us' holds true for you and your circle, but may not be true for the vast majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Exactly. I, too, have my outdoor sports that I enjoy but I also enjoy watching pro and college football, and the playoffs in baseball and hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies