Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 01:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times

Advertisements

As I stated earlier, you people are obsessed with what we do/who we date/who we love/what our preference happens to be/etc., etc.

My point was just proven by the last few posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The evidence would seem to indicate that it is black people who are mesmerized by themselves, everyone from the FLOTUS who, of all the possible topics she could have researched for her thesis, chose Princeton-Educated Blacks and the Black Community, to random people on the internet. I'd bet more than half of the posts by blacks on CD are in some way about being black.
The majority of "black" topics on this site (specifically on this forum) are non-blacks asking about something related to blacks.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times
Narcissistic gaslighting.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:11 AM

58,736 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
**WHEN I SAY "WHAT BLACKS ARE DOING", I'M NOT REFERRING TO BLACKS THAT ARE COMMITTING CRIME. I'M NOT REFFERING TO THE UNDERCLASS**

Why does everyone REALLY care if blacks have our own institutions and organizations (e.g. BET, UNCF, Black History Month, HBCUs, BLM award shows etc)? I ask this based on what I'm reading on this site and what I'm seeing lately on TV and in my own life. A large percentage of other races want NOTHING to do w/ us so why is it that when we decide to give them what they want they claim we are self-segregating?
You have whites who will literally pull their children out of schools when the black population gets to be 20%, they will sell their homes when they see they have a black neighbor, they will even start their OWN school systems separate from the county so that their children do not have to go to school with black kids but will then complain about a "black college" (HISTORICALLY black college/university). Do TWI's(Traditionally White Institutions) not exist? Also, wasn't it whites that at one time made segregation a LAW? With that in mind, why do you care so much that a black person gets on here asking about a "black middle class neighborhood"?

Also why is it that no one complains about Telemundo, Univisioin, or Galavision where the content is not even in English? No one bats an eye at that (take note Stacey Dash!).

Asians and Pacific Islanders have several of their own organizations, programs, etc geared towards their empowerment (including their own scholarship fund and LGBT club) but no one says that that's racist or segregationist.
Note: I'm not going to just black whites because there are many other minorities that don't want a thing to do w/ blacks either and mind you they may even be going through the same boat but will turn their nose up at a black person.

With that in mind, why is it suddenly a problem when we decide not to care?

P.S. you can take this however you want. Take it as a rant or take it as an interesting discussion. I really do not care at this point because the bulk of you certainly don't care about offending me.

"P.S. you can take this however you want. Take it as a rant or take it as an interesting discussion. I really do not care at this point because the bulk of you certainly don't care about offending me"

Then WHY bother posting this?

Old 10-23-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm not asking that segregation be mandated by law, last time I checked, it wasn't blacks that made it a law. That said, I would like to see more of our communities (I'm black) thriving and that would include banks, restaurants, event halls, etc. You have Chinatowns, Little Italies, Little Koreas, etc but unfortunately I don't know of too many predominantly black communities that are flourishing.

That said, my post is a reaction to what I'm seeing.
"That said, I would like to see more of our communities (I'm black) thriving and that would include banks, restaurants, event halls, etc."

I agree.

What needs to be done, as an example, is somehow get some of the filthy rich pro athletes or entertainers, to form a some kind of company, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger, own hard Rock Cafe, and invest in financing locally owned black businesses.

There ARE a lot of blacks who are successful business owners.

Approach them to help.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i dont care what black people do AS LONG AS they remain civil in what they do.

you want to protest, fine, do so peacefully.

you want to have your own TV network? fine, carry programming i like and i will watch it.

where i draw the line however is when groups like black lives matter get violent just because they can. i hate when protests turn violent, and become riots, especially since they tend to destroy their OWN neighborhoods. and it doesnt matter who is doing the rioting either.
"they tend to destroy their OWN neighborhoods." then whine and scream about jobs and stores NOT being in their communities.

THEY drive them out, then complain about none being available.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,213,475 times
Anyone that knows my posts [on social media] knows that I've spoken out against the segment of the black population that chooses to burn their own neighborhoods on several occasions. Never have I ever consigned with this behavior.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then WHY bother posting this?
Because the obsession that a LOT of the non-black posters have with black people is so unnerving to MANY/MOST blacks who post on this board that we really would like to know the answer to that question.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:06 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I need to call this one out. Who are the first people to insult blacks when they "stray" outside the stereotypes that you talk about?

Hint: It's not white people.

Many times it is white people. The first time I was told I "talked like a white girl" it was by a white teacher when I was in the 4th grade (it was a substitute and I was pretty shocked about it and told her I couldn't talk like a white girl since I was black, I got in trouble for saying that to her). I was frequently told by teachers in elementary school that I had a "white girl name." I was never lambasted by black people for being black and smart/nerdy. I was a tough nerdy girl and they knew not to mess with me. Most of the black adults in my life, even those who fit stereotypes - crack addicts, prostitutes, gang bangers, etc. They encouraged me to be better than they were.

Most of the time when black kids are spoken ill about in regards to stereotypes by other black students, it is in an environment where there are few black students and all the black students seek to "be black" by being some ridiculous stereotype. In a majority black environment, you find few of these sorts of stereotypes being pushed by black people, which is one of the reasons why I feel HBCUs are valuable for black students. You see at an HBCU that "being black" is not behaving in a stereotypical way.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm glad you mention this. In high school, this guy's interests were Japanese role playing games and anime. I don't recall him really being into music at all.

His time at an HBU inculcated him with all kinds of black stereotypes. Everything came to be viewed through the prism of his blackness. He was all about rap/hip-hop, weed, "his *******" and a lot of other stuff he never showed interest in during high school.

I can't say that going to an HBU made him this way. Perhaps he always felt this way but had to suppress it at an affluent mostly white high school. But I can say without a doubt that in this case, the HBU introduced or reinforced black stereotypes rather than "cure" them.

Of course, this is one anecdotal example. But our knowledge and opinions is largely based on our own experiences.
What school did he go to?

I honestly doubt that he got pushed into a stereotype at an HBCU. I went to a B rated one and we had a lot of black people who were into Japanese music (the girls especially created a club over that pop Japanese music, I can't remember the name of it), and MANY black people are "into" anime including my son and all my older, nephews, including those of college age. Being "into" anime is not something that is rare amongst black people period.

So I honestly don't believe you in regards to your tale above. As stated, I went to an HBCU. HBCUs actually create similar cliques and groups of black students as what one normally sees amongst majority white schools, you have your hip hop folks, your Greek organizations (which are HUGE at HBCUs and is a reason why I very much don't believe your story above because almost all black students at HBCUs join a black sorority/fraternity - over 50% do and that culture is a big thing on campuses), you have your preppy types, you have the goths, you have the scientists/techies, you have a lot of every type of group of students. Will also note that even "hip hop" is different IMO at HBCUs as even though those students may like mainstream artists they are much more likely to enjoy a more pure form of hip hop that is underground in nature or that is less popular to white Americans than blacks. My nephews are this way. One goes to a majority white high school and was told he wasn't "really black" by a white student because he doesn't like some crappy rapper that many of the white kids at his school likes. He likes more old school hip hop and "conscious" rappers.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm highly agitated right now, and really need to get off this topic.

You're getting off track by bringing up racist threads against black people. I get it, but that's not what this thread is about. The OP asked why white people are concerning themselves with what black people do. I posted that white people are venting, and are really mad at progressives, not black people.

You're right in your other post where you say sensitivity training is once or twice a year. I've attended more than forty of them over the years. Enough already.

In addition to that though, a lot more happens between HR and white hiring managers that probably isn't taking place when you hire people. A lot of conversations and such that you're unaware of because you're not white.

Not a day goes by anymore where I don't hear about or read about white privilege. Sometimes it's white male privilege. And I couldn't possibly understand this or that or the other thing. And I should feel guilty because of X, Y and Z.

Guess what? White people are only human, too. If you feel you're doing the right things, but keep hearing how you should be doing more and could be doing better, and then suddenly start hearing you should feel guilt and you're privileged, etc., the end result is going to be that people are going to give up trying.

What I meant when I wrote that white people have been victims, not in the way black people have been victims, but victims nonetheless, I meant victims of constant scrutiny and criticism from progressives, from our current president (sorry, didn't want to bring politics into this, but I'm trying to be real here), the media, and now from some black people that we're racist, supremacists, and have white privilege. Even mild mannered me is going to give up and say 'take a hike'. I've done what I'm supposed to do, I've treated people fairly, I'm in no way privileged, but have had certain advantages that some black people also have, and I'm not going to keep getting banged on the head by people who want to feel like they're superior to other white people, and organizations that want to keep the fire burning between the races.

This isn't about racism against blacks, so don't come back with, 'yes, but we also read threads about'..... This is about why white people call bull ****e on something that if we did it, we'd be shamed, possibly lose our jobs, etc.

It's like we've been verbally beaten up for forty years for doing X to a specific group - even if we weren't doing it - but now the group is doing X to us. And guess what? I'll still be reading about how I should be ashamed, I have white privilege, I'm a racist and supremacist just by virtue of being white, and still need to go to yet another session of sensitivity training and have all those conversations with HR, just because I'm white.

That no media or progressives have a problem with black people doing what they've blasted white people for doing, is hypocritical on the part of the media and progressives, and white people have a damn right to be p*ssed.
I specifically mentioned that I doubt people in your personal life are coming up to you and saying you have "white privilege."

Also that it seems many white people are making themselves "victims" because they tune too much into media whether it be on TV or online. If you are constantly tuning yourself into media outlets that are telling you about blacks or other people of color speaking ill of you, then you need to unplug from those outlets that are influencing your view on this. This is the main reason why I do not watch cable TV news. They misrepresent real black people all the time just l like all media outlets do both on TV and online. You should not believe that a majority of black people are going around telling you you have "white privilege." I doubt more than 3 people have ever said that to you in real life. I have never said that to anyone in real life.

And again, the whining I mentioned was specifically that whites, such as those earlier in this threads whining about BET and Miss Black America and the UNCF. No one, nor myself has told you to be "ashamed" or that you are a "racist." You are putting all of this on yourself and IMO you are doing it because you are too invested in watching/reading media outlets. And again, it is usually white people telling you these things via media, not black people. I listen to black media. Rarely do they discuss "white privilege" at all. I especially listen a lot to black talk radio and they primarily criticize black people, not white people. Contrary to what your media is telling you, we really do not think about "the white man" like you think we do, nor do we "blame" you for your "problems." All of the stuff I see on this site in particular shows that too many of you white men buy too much in mainstream media and into right wing media that makes rare ocurrences seem like they are commonplace and IMO too much of our populace falls for this instead of looking at reality around them. I don't base my personal feelings regarding "racism" or "stereotypes" or anything on what media shows me. I base it on my own experiences, my study of history (and espcially in regards to black history), and my real life relationships because that stuff is "real." Anything on TV and the internet is not "real" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.