Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,368,134 times

Advertisements

How quickly GOP forgets that it was Dems who helped figure out fixes to G.W.'s Medicare expansion for perscriptions back in 2005-6! That program was on trajectory for complete failure! Yet Dem's worked across the aisle to fix the problems.

No Good deed goes unpunished apparently~ especially when it came to Helping the Senior Citizen's with Medicare Part "D" problem. It's disgraceful..But given the rhetoric since ACA finally got passed, even tho Congressional discussions went on for over a year and GOP injected their demands into the bill..then sat back and said NOPE!!

Anyway..to refresh what happened back then~~

Did Medicare Part D have the same rollout problems as the Obamacare online marketplaces? | PolitiFact
snip~

Quote:
Big programs have seen rocky rollouts only to achieve success later, they say. Their top example: the 2005 launch of Medicare Part D, President George W. Bush’s prescription drug benefit plan.

"Things went wrong with the Medicare prescription D plan that George Bush rolled out," Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., told MSNBC on Nov. 6. "When things go wrong, there are two things we can do as a country. We can spend all our time figuring out who to blame, or we can spend all our time figuring out how to fix it."

Eight years after it went live, Medicare Part D is now widely popular among the seniors who use it.

How Democrats Saved Bush's Medicare Drug Program | Crooks and Liars

snip~
Quote:
As Americans should recall, the Bush administration rollout of the Medicare drug benefit for 43 million elderly Americans was a disaster. Ohio Congressman John Boehner admitted as much to Fox News in February 2006 when he lamented that two years after its passage, "The implementation of the Medicare plan has been horrendous." As Ezra Klein recently recounted, in his rare moment of candor the future Speaker was right:

In 2006, the bill went into effect. It was a disaster. Computer systems didn't communicate with one another. Seniors were confused. Some of the poorest and sickest enrollees -- "dual eligibles" who qualify for aid under both Medicare and Medicaid -- weren't able to get their drugs. It was so bad that in his 2006 State of the Union address, Bush "said nothing about the new Medicare prescription drug program, an initiative Republicans once hoped to trumpet but has angered many seniors in its implementation," reported the Washington Post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,326,429 times
Tuning such programs is standard. And in the end the Republicans will have to work a deal.

Note that 90% of the US populations is now covered by insurance. That is the highest ever.

And any attempt to roll back the ACA will have to get to similar or better coverage and also deal with no preexisting conditions or life time limits.

Basically this is one of those you cannot go back situations.

I am personally a big loser in all this. I had a lifetime Cadillac plan which I lost to Medicare. The result is we now spend $12,000 a year for health care as opposed to the 0 of our private retirement plan. And then the fine dental plan was replaced by one thst pays for two cleanings a year and effectively nothing else.

So I would like to see Medicare adjusted to equal what ones private plan was...but I will not hold my breath.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,136,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Republicans tunnel vision. I know the narrative is to repeal ObamaCare and get rid of it. I think we are too far along now.

Instead of just towing the line, why not just sit a minute a think about it... ask some professionals who work in the industry, and see if there is a way to make what exists work for people. I think they need to offer something - and make the Democrats reject the changes.

Because when ObamaCare fails, single payer legislation is in the on deck circle. It may be a better option for everyone to use their heads and make this work.

But Obama knows the GOP in Congress won't do that - which will quicken it's demise and usher in single payer. I don't think the Republicans in Congress have any other ideas once ObamaCare fails. And even if they did offer changes to what exists, Obama and the Dems would likely reject it. But I think they should go through with the process.

GOP rebuffs Obama's entreaties to fix health law

President Barack Obama on Thursday called for Republicans next year to pass legislation to repair Obamacare. The GOP response? No.

Democrats have long held out hope that with a new president, the political winds would shift, creating an opening to pass badly needed legislative repairs.

This is a failure on both sides... which means it is on all of us since we put them there.
Well, the Democrats created Obamacare without any of the Republicans in Congress. That said, while some of the Republican leaders aren't any different than the Democrats, they want nothing to do with Obamacare because they know that they will be voted out of office.

Something else in case some people don't know: as Obamacare is implemented, employer sponsored healthcare plans are being dissolved because the premiums and out of pocket $ is going sky high. If Hillary wins she will turn Obamacare into a single-payer system, and this is the Democrat's fallback. My cost of employer-sponsored plan has gone up over 250% from three years ago to now.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-21-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,873,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Basically this is one of those you cannot go back situations.
No, actually it is not.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,938,300 times
Look, we're going to get more government involved in our healthcare whether we like it or not. The question is will we get a system that is based more on private providers with government making premium contributions such as in germany, or do we get the dreadful UK or VA model where getting Healthcare is like going to the DMV.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 PM

57,188 posts, read 26,148,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Get rid of it. National healthcare is failing in the UK too. You simply cannot violate insurance economics and expect a positive outcome.

NHS hospital waiting lists at seven-year high as 3.4m need treatment | Daily Mail Online
Just getting rid of Obama care is not a solution.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,741,866 times
Quote:
Republicans tunnel vision. I know the narrative is to repeal ObamaCare and get rid of it. I think we are too far along now.

Instead of just towing the line, why not just sit a minute a think about it... ask some professionals who work in the industry, and see if there is a way to make what exists work for people. I think they need to offer something - and make the Democrats reject the changes.

Because when ObamaCare fails, single payer legislation is in the on deck circle. It may be a better option for everyone to use their heads and make this work.

But Obama knows the GOP in Congress won't do that - which will quicken it's demise and usher in single payer. I don't think the Republicans in Congress have any other ideas once ObamaCare fails. And even if they did offer changes to what exists, Obama and the Dems would likely reject it. But I think they should go through with the process.

GOP rebuffs Obama's entreaties to fix health law

President Barack Obama on Thursday called for Republicans next year to pass legislation to repair Obamacare. The GOP response? No.

Democrats have long held out hope that with a new president, the political winds would shift, creating an opening to pass badly needed legislative repairs.

This is a failure on both sides... which means it is on all of us since we put them there.
If a surgeon blinded your child, would you trust the same surgeon to do a more dangerous, more expensive, more complex surgery to repair the damage they'd done previously? Of course not. You'd find a new surgeon. Everything about Obamacare was either an intentional lie (my belief) or gross incompetence. Either way, you'd be a fool to give him more money, more power & more trust to repair it.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 PM

45,522 posts, read 27,126,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Very, very, very few are able to afford to pay for their own healthcare.
There's more than one way than just giving money to people. The cost structure is too high. A 10 minute doctor visit should not cost $100-$200. Something needs to be done to bring costs down.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 PM

45,522 posts, read 27,126,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Exactly why should the Republicans, who knew up front that Obamacare was going to fail, try to fix it? They never voted for it, never wanted it - like the majority of Americans - and now you think they should fix it? It's such a wonderful program (according to the libprogs), why does it need to be fixed?
They haven't offered any tangible substitutes.

The people need something. When do you put the party aside and actually help people?

I have been against this abomination from the start because I knew this would be the result. In the meantime, people are still having health issues. You want to sit and hold your breath, fine. How does that help anybody today?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,147,092 times
Quote:
There's more than one way than just giving money to people.
I never advocated or mentioned anything about giving money to people.

Quote:
The cost structure is too high. A 10 minute doctor visit should not cost $100-$200. Something needs to be done to bring costs down.
Everyone is going to have to give something. We spent millions of dollars upgrading one of the local hospitals. Marble floors and a player piano in the waiting area.......the other hospital in town bought it and shut it down.

Damn waste. If the other hospital can afford to buy another hospital and just shut it down, yes there is a lot wrong with the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies