Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I guess with labor and transportation costs there are textile manufacturers starting to move back to the South as it is getting more expensive to do business in China

Chinese Garment Company To Bring Textile Plant, 400 Jobs To Little Rock | WKNO FM

Also, if Phillipines reduces economic ties to America there could be call-centers coming back to United States

If Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte breaks ties with the US, jobs outsourced to the Philippines could be in jeopardy

Many call-centers could move to rural, economically depressed areas and pay $8 an hour and also have a 40% Work-oppurtunity tax credit.

The wage scales in Phillipines aren't all that low compared to rural parts of the United States especially since they usually provide food and transportation allowance.
Well, Japan, Korea, Germany, etc, have assembly plants her for their cars.

As it becomes better financially, global companies go to where it is best for them.

Nothing new.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
As I read articles on this I note that China was never able to overcome a manufacturing defect rate that was 3-5x what was experienced in the US. That makes it even more sensible to bail as wages go up.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Honestly, I do not want Chinese money or industry in our country. They are slowly moving in, however, under the radar, and their presence is increasing. Our government just gave away 2600 acres of Apache land in the Southwest to a mining company, Rio Tinto, that's a front for China. A Chinese company bought out the largest "pork" producer in the U.S. and is sending much of their "product" back to China--while they torture the animals and pollute the land here. The Dakota pipeline (as was the Keystone Pipeline) is to run oil to China. I've seen what they've done to the people in Africa and South America. They've ruined their own land, and now they're crawling the globe, trying to grab whatever they can, and ruining land and people in the process. They need to go home and stay home.
Actually that pipeline, like it's already existing Keystone 1, was to service the U.S. gulf refineries owned by American and Mexican interests who would be selling that oil to China or whomever.

What's happening since Keystone XL was scuppered is; instead of Canadian crude being refined to sell to China it's YOUR crude being sold to China instead.

Exclusive: China buys first U.S. crude cargo since end of export ban - source | Reuters

Gotta love the Karma in that one.

The U.S. Is Exporting Its Oil Everywhere - Bloomberg

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...t-refining-hub

All you achieved was to ***** over your neighbour and ally........normal behaviour for the U.S.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Actually that pipeline, like it's already existing Keystone 1, was to service the U.S. gulf refineries owned by American and Mexican interests who would be selling that oil to China or whomever.

What's happening since Keystone XL was scuppered is; instead of Canadian crude being refined to sell to China it's YOUR crude being sold to China instead.

Exclusive: China buys first U.S. crude cargo since end of export ban - source | Reuters

Gotta love the Karma in that one.

The U.S. Is Exporting Its Oil Everywhere - Bloomberg

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...t-refining-hub

All you achieved was to ***** over your neighbour and ally........normal behaviour for the U.S.
I know that pipeline already exists, and here's who's behind it: https://www.facingsouth.org/2016/09/...ne-controversy

And what "karma"? Either way, our land gets destroyed and, once again, the land, the animals, and the people--especially Native Americans--are sacrificed for the private profit of some billionaire sociopath.

As for our "neighbor and ally," I'd say we did them a favor, considering that the Koch brothers, who were behind the Keystone debacle, were and are doing a very good job of ******* over the native peoples of Canada:

Native American tribes unite to fight the Keystone pipeline and government 'disrespect' | Public Radio International

It's way past time for an end to crude oil production and its destruction of both the planetary ecosystem and people. This is 19th-century energy, and the theft of our children's future.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:30 AM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm a legal immigrant, not a citizen, and contribute significantly through my taxes and overall spending, including my house. Why should I be excluded from owning a home?

You shouldn't be.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
I think that if immigrants want to own property, they should apply for citizenship. If you live here, and plan on living here permanently, why wouldn't you apply for citizenship? If you don't want to be a citizen, and only want to take advantage of living here, then I don't believe you should have the right to own property. If you don't plan on living here permanently, you don't need to own property.
Because you're required to wait five years after getting your green card. I've been here since 07 and am just eligible last month. Besides, green card is Permanent Resident.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:38 AM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
Quote:
These is not American manufacturing moving back to the United States. This is China moving into the United States. So the real question is: Are Americans willing to sell their country to the Chinese for $14/hour jobs?
Ask the Japanese how that worked out when they were going to overtake us in the 70s and 80s.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Which is worse, trying to decipher call center english spoken by a phillipeano or by someone from Lousiana?

Louisiana. I find Filipino accents very hard to understand. The operators are usually female and they sound (to me) like someone with a speech impediment or a toddler.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm a legal immigrant, not a citizen, and contribute significantly through my taxes and overall spending, including my house. Why should I be excluded from owning a home?
Become a citizen. Rent until you do.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Become a citizen. Rent until you do.
So, if you were selling your house, you'd be happy to take less $$$ from a citizen than an immigrant was willing to pay you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies