Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What makes you think it wasn't?

Exactly how does a smart person go about doing this? Your enlistment is running out and they come to you and offer you $15,000 to re-sign. Why is one going to think that not legit and how do they go about making sure it is?
Some of those folks who got those big bonuses were Recruiting Command officers, knowing that information was part of their job. Some of them now rightfully have a criminal record for fraud. The military does a pretty good job of explaining bonuses, but yes, some still get confused. However, that doesn't mean they won the lottery, the paperwork they sign for those types of bonuses very clearly state the eligibility requirements and that if it is given to them erroneously it must be returned. The military does try to set up reasonable payment plans for them, although granted 'reasonable' is in the eye of the beholder. I do, however, have an issue with charging these people interest or penalties if they are trying to pay it back, they did not think they were taking out a loan and the money is long gone for most.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
And they vote for JOHN loser McCain. Sorry but vets gets what they deserve.
I'm a veteran and I didn't vote for McCain in 2008.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Unless they can prove the soldier knowingly received extra. They should not be able to come after them.

These people risked their lives for us in the worst part of the world in very hostile populations.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It hasn't got the nations attention?

Keep your damn politics out of my football. I'm engaged enough in the process and already aware of our nation's problems. I watch football as an escape. To have a little time away from all of that crap. Well, I used to. Now I watch hockey. They keep their politics to themselves. If this year's TV ratings are any indication, I'm not the only one choosing to tune out.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Dear all:

I don't understand why we need to give crap about our veterans?

So what they volunteered to protected the country so that we can have iPhone 8 and sitting behind our computers criticizing the Trump camping, I mean, campaign? Who give a crap about that? OK, they are killed or wounded but any idiot knows that if you go to war, that's what happens in war as shown on CNN. Maybe those idiot people should have smartened up and not put themselves in the danger's way.

Respectfully and ungratefully,

A progressive liberal democrat

It's good to have this occasional reminder of why so many "progressive liberal democrats" tend to be atheists.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Some of those folks who got those big bonuses were Recruiting Command officers, knowing that information was part of their job. Some of them now rightfully have a criminal record for fraud. The military does a pretty good job of explaining bonuses, but yes, some still get confused. However, that doesn't mean they won the lottery, the paperwork they sign for those types of bonuses very clearly state the eligibility requirements and that if it is given to them erroneously it must be returned. The military does try to set up reasonable payment plans for them, although granted 'reasonable' is in the eye of the beholder. I do, however, have an issue with charging these people interest or penalties if they are trying to pay it back, they did not think they were taking out a loan and the money is long gone for most.
So your argument is that the government puts language in that states "if we are lying to you, you have to pay that money back"?

Is this really a good argument? They should go into all of this with the notion of "never trust the officers"? Is that how we run a military? Never trust an officer?

Old 10-24-2016, 07:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Keep your damn politics out of my football. I'm engaged enough in the process and already aware of our nation's problems. I watch football as an escape. To have a little time away from all of that crap. Well, I used to. Now I watch hockey. They keep their politics to themselves. If this year's TV ratings are any indication, I'm not the only one choosing to tune out.
I haven't attended a pro football game in years so I have done nothing.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
yeah everybody knows this is B.S. But nooooooo, blame the soldiers for being DUMB.

B.s. b.s. b.s.

According to the article on militarytime.com

Faced with a shortage of troops at the height of the two wars, California Guard officials offered bonuses of $15,000 or more.

Report: California soldiers must repay enlistment bonuses

Like one poster pointed out,

Unless the applicant fraudulently completed the application, they should not have to repay. If they were overpaid for their contract, they should have to repay. If the CAARNG committed fraud to get enlistments then the leadership and state should be on the hook for the debt.

It looks like in this particular case, soldiers did NOTHING wrong. Go after the ones who actually committed fraud already.

You offered bogus money to attract those during war time, and if they didn't die, they had to pay back the money promised to them. If this is not mafia behavior, I don't know what it is. This is the Unite States of America for crying out loud. Is the U.S. military Mafia? Even the Mafia has rules. WOW

Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
It's clear that a bunch of you have no military experience.

Anyone who has ever served will tell you that the finance and accounting system is jacked up. But one thing they ALWAYS get right is auditing. If they overpay you by even a penny, they'll get it back. And if you're not careful, they'll take it in one cruel wallop if they can without even telling you. It's happened a bazillion times before.

When I ETS'd, I was overpaid by $1500 hundred bucks. They sent me letters informing me of my obligation to pay it back. I refused, so they took it out of my tax return.

D-FAS always straightens out their accounting errors. Sooner or later...and it could be years before they catch it. If you're not dead, you're paying it back.

There is no mechanism to just write off money given to people that weren't entitled to it. If this is simply forgiven, then you've gotta give everyone else a check too.

Sorry, but that's just how it goes.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yeah everybody knows this is B.S. But nooooooo, blame the soldiers for being DUMB.

B.s. b.s. b.s.

According to the article on militarytime.com

Faced with a shortage of troops at the height of the two wars, California Guard officials offered bonuses of $15,000 or more.

Report: California soldiers must repay enlistment bonuses

Like one poster pointed out,

Unless the applicant fraudulently completed the application, they should not have to repay. If they were overpaid for their contract, they should have to repay. If the CAARNG committed fraud to get enlistments then the leadership and state should be on the hook for the debt.

It looks like in this particular case, soldiers did NOTHING wrong. Go after the ones who actually committed fraud already.

You offered bogus money to attract those during war time, and if they didn't die, they had to pay back the money promised to them. If this is not mafia behavior, I don't know what it is. This is the Unite States of America for crying out loud. Is the U.S. military Mafia? Even the Mafia has rules. WOW
Government can do no wrong and if you have a problem you are encouraged to petition the government to hear your case to which then government will decide that it did no wrong and you can be sure of such, because... government told you so! /sarc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies