Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times

Advertisements

The price of college is inflated in America compared to other nations for two primary reasons as I see it:

1) American college, unlike most tertiary-level academics across the globe, are not only a learning opportunity but a massive social and networking opportunity, along with the chance to experience the "college lifestyle" to some degree
2) Overfunding of colleges and college loans by the federal government.

I think these are easy enough to solve. For the first one, just make community college free, since CCs are the closest American analogue to the free universities in Europe. You don't get the "college experience" and extra networking for free, but you do at least get an education and a degree, and that's the most important part. For the second thing, just have the federal government scale back involvement. With less money, all of a sudden universities will have to scale back their ridiculously bloated departments and staff, stop building new buildings constantly, and quit dumping money on sports stadiums and teams, and they'll actually have to be smart. The less money you have, the wiser you spend it (assuming you are a rational human/organization-of course, that can't always be counted on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I've probably been around a lot longer than you, so I'm pretty "wised-up" on how this sh*t goes down, and both the DNC and the RNC shut down Sanders. You just need to ask yourself why that is. Answer: Because he was truly the outsider. The one who threatened to expose the man--or, in this case, the corruption-- behind the curtain.
Republicans didn't steal the nomination from Bernie. Hillary and the DNC did.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The price of college is inflated in America compared to other nations for two primary reasons as I see it:

1) American college, unlike most tertiary-level academics across the globe, are not only a learning opportunity but a massive social and networking opportunity, along with the chance to experience the "college lifestyle" to some degree
2) Overfunding of colleges and college loans by the federal government.

I think these are easy enough to solve. For the first one, just make community college free, since CCs are the closest American analogue to the free universities in Europe. You don't get the "college experience" and extra networking for free, but you do at least get an education and a degree, and that's the most important part. For the second thing, just have the federal government scale back involvement. With less money, all of a sudden universities will have to scale back their ridiculously bloated departments and staff, stop building new buildings constantly, and quit dumping money on sports stadiums and teams, and they'll actually have to be smart. The less money you have, the wiser you spend it (assuming you are a rational human/organization-of course, that can't always be counted on).

I agree.

We also need, and this would come via your ideas, higher student/teacher ratios.

Individual service which parents clamored for via lower student/teacher rates added to the cost of college.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Exxon does not need the money. Far from it. Exxon also profits from the use of our roads, our utilities, and our labor. Enough. Their profits are through the roof. I'd rather give our children a good education for free.

The market cannot be allowed to dictate our principles as a nation. The market makes a good servant, but a terrible idol.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:03 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, how on earth can you put equal blame on Trump when he did not collude with the media to sabotage Bernie. Nor did he from within Bernie's own party, work to discredit him and his followers like the DNC and Hillary campaign did.
Heck Trump has come out and apologized to people like you, who he thought were responsible for shutting down several of his rallies, causing havoc, and even inciting riots.
He thought it was you guys.

Why?

Because the DNC operatives (now caught on video admitting as much) purposely did it, then blamed the Bernie supporters. The MSM also did so, as well as blame Trump supporters.
So at least Trump apologized to you'll for his mistake (rare for him).
Yet has the person/s (i.e. Hillary and/or the DNC) who were actually responsible for doing the dirty deeds to Bernie and supporters like you, apologized?
That should tell you something right there!

As to Trump, lets take what you say at face value that he is mentally unhinged in some way. While that might be a stretch, he does have some personality flaws/quirks. Yet we both know Hillary also has her share of personality flaws, and a huge lack of ethics/integrity.
But staying on Trump, what is your biggest fear if he were president
You cannot actually believe he will nuke the planet and kill every human being (including everyone he loves like his own family).
Heck I cannot stand Hillary, but I know she is not so unhinged to nuke the planet either.

So you are right, Trump actually stands for many of the things you as a Bernie supporter believes in. I have had a handful of Bernie supporters say they would vote for Trump if Bernie lost to Hillary(little did they know it was going to be stolen from him). Trump is the antithesis of Hillary and her Wall Street cronies. Bernie knew this and demanded she release the transcripts of those speeches. Sadly they were leaked far too late for him to prove it.

Trump will certainly upset the cozy apple cart of the lobbyist, Wall Street tentacles, collusion with the MSM, etc., just like Bernie would have if given a chance.
So back to the question.
From a Bernie supporter who acknowledges Trump stands for much of what you believe in (thanks for putting honesty above party branding), what is the worst Trump would do compared to Hillary?

`
You need to work for Trump, this post is more articulate than anything they bother putting out. There's a real message somewhere in that campaign, but he and they muddy it up with stupid stuff.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:03 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you vote for Clinton you are telling the DNC it's perfectly fine for them to rig the primary election. You are also going to be responsible for starting war with Russia.
If you can actually explain how an election can be rigged, then you must know that it can be rigged in any direction, Democratic or Republican. Or even Green or Libertarian, for that matter.

But you have to have a logical means of rigging to start with, and so far, no one has offered anything that's remotely logical.

All you are doing is parroting Trump's latest desperate lie. Don't believe him. He's up to no good, and you know it now.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Exxon does not need the money. Far from it. Exxon also profits from the use of our roads, our utilities, and our labor. Enough. Their profits are through the roof. I'd rather give our children a good education for free.

I would not give either anything w/o a clearly defined individual ROI. I would not give Exxon money simply because they exist, nor would I give our kids free college because they exist. I would give Exxon money if I sensed a great ROI for an asset they bring-JOBS.

That is why I favor eliminating guaranteed student loans. Let Junior go to college via dad's money or by individually proving to a bank he is worthy as a credit risk of a loan.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree.

We also need, and this would come via your ideas, higher student/teacher ratios.

Individual service which parents clamored for via lower student/teacher rates added to the cost of college.
Higher student/teacher ratios would be fine if: 1) you don't expect students to get much individual attention, and 2) you're willing to pay teachers a lot more money.

As a teacher, I can assure you that the last thing we need is higher student/teacher ratios.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
I can assure that Trump stands for nothing I or Bernie Sanders believe in, no matter what he says. He will upset nothing. He's a scam artist, and has been for a very, very long time. The Trump Show has been around for about 30 years now. Unlike Bernie, there's nothing in Trump's history that shows he cares about anyone other than himself.
I thought Bernie is a scam artist. He didn't start working until he was 38, what a bum, and he dared to claim corporate America is greedy.
Community college is fine. My kid went to public school and already received a 6 figure job offer. Guess how much it cost me, $12k a year. Try that some time, no fancy pansy college. But you sound like a Bernie Sanders supporter, the complaining part.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Higher student/teacher ratios would be fine if: 1) you don't expect students to get much individual attention, and 2) you're willing to pay teachers a lot more money.

As a teacher, I can assure you that the last thing we need is higher student/teacher ratios.

Get the right students-they will be fine with higher ratios. My gen did well, with far higher ratios, plus a lower % admitted from those who applied.

I understand teachers do not want to work hard, but guess what, you'd have to. Higher ratios = fewer jobs = more candidates/job = less choice for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies