Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What would you focus on when looking into this issue so that the info the public receives on this issue is accurate?
what pay issue??? the gender gap or so called glass ceiling is a myth

the glass ceiling lie

another liberal lie

someone brings up the equal pay thing they lose

...the 'glass ceiling is a LIE

EVERY job that I have seen women in they make the SAME as their male counterparts based on SENIORITY and SKILL
the MYTH of the glass ceiling is just that..a MYTH

Quote:
We often hear about a "wage gap" between women and men. In 1992, the ratio of female to male, year-round, fulltime earnings was 71 cents to the dollar. This includes workers of all ages and all types of jobs. Among workers 25 to 34, the 1992 ratio was 82 cents on the dollar. And in a real "apples to apples" comparison, the gap narrows more. June E. O'Neill, director of the Congressional Budget Office, did a study based on the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth by Ohio State University's Center for Human Resources Research. O'Neill found that among people 27 to 33 who have never had a child, women's earnings were about 98-99% of men's. Similar results occur if you compare the earnings of women and men of the same education and experience in the same professions.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...nings-of-women
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...nings-of-women
Women also have created jobs, for themselves and others. In 1980, there were about 2 million women-owned businesses with about $25 billion in sales. in 1996, according to the National Foundation for Women Business Owners, nearly 8 million companies with more than $2.25 trillion in sales are owned by women. One in four American workers is employed by a woman-owned business.
In many occupations, including speech pathology and financial analysis, women earn far more than men. When it comes to college degrees, women outpace men by a fair shot. According to the Wall Street Journal, “single, childless women between ages 22 and 30 were earning more than their male counterparts in most U.S. cities, with incomes that were 8 percent on average."

if liberals were ACTUALLY concerned with fairness...then they would be pushing for a pay for performance law, rather than a BS glass ceiling that doesnt exist

why should the other person be paid the same as me..if I have more experience..and more skill

do you really think the worst mechanic in town, should get paid the same as the best mechanic in town???

pay is set by QUALIFICATIONS and needs...needs of the company AND needs of the employee who negotiates starting wage during the application process

do you really think pay should be only set by title???

should a _________(you choose man/woman/it) who has been DOING THE JOB for 1 year be paid the same as a __________ who has been DOING the JOB for 10 years( EXPERIENCE )?????

should a woman or man coming into the shop as a mechanic be paid the same as my lead mechanic, just because the title says mechanic????

should a woman LAWYER just coming out of law school be paid the same as a male lawyer that has been practicing for the last 20 years???

should a woman just coming onto the job, (but has 10 years experience) be paid the same as an employee that has been with the COMPANY for the last 10 years ( LONGEVITY on the job)????

should an employee based in a NYC company be paid the same as an employee based in a Biloxi Mississippi company, just because they have the same title, and are the same type of company??? even though the cost of living is like 4-1 difference??

pay is set by skill, experience, education, and need...and how you PRESENT YOURSELF on the interview

liberals always look to mediocrity, instead of striving for the best

now liberals will force LOWER PAY for all...the fascist liberal dream...all of us being serfs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 04:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
If I had to guess I'd say it's an issue of assertiveness...men are more likely to ask for raises (possibly), and inherent bias against women by assuming they'll be less dedicated or take more time off or leave completely if/when they have kids. Hard to say.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Impossible!

2 commissioned car-sales people.............a male makes 85K a year and a female that makes 38K a year!

Old 10-23-2016, 07:16 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

the MYTH of the glass ceiling is just that..a MYTH
How and when was the glass ceiling determined to be a myth?

I would think that glass ceilings would vary by profession and the types of men that women are working around. Some professions may be more open to women moving up than others and some men in ownership and managerial positions may be more open to promoting women than others.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
That doesn't work, either. Pay increases and decreases based on tenure, accomplishments, employer incentives, poor performance or a variety of other possibilities , can alter salary within identical positions. Also, pay differs state to state or even district to district within the same company for exactly the same employee in the same position.
Then there can be no comparisons until all data can be uniform.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:24 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Supposedly they controlled for that and still found a 7% gap.

7% or less I can buy. Whenever somebody trots out the old "women make $.77 for every dollar a man makes", you know that person is either an idiot, or thinks that you're an idiot and is purposely trying to deceive you for political reasons.

Cumulative hours worked in a career should also be a control factor. The woman who said "I'll be a SAHM for 4 years" is not going to be valued as well as someone who stayed in the workforce, nor should she be. Her cumulative work history is inferior.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Then there can be no comparisons until all data can be uniform.
Agreed.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,589 times
My college tried to teach us about "comparative worth". Their example was that male dominated jobs like construction paid higher than women dominated jobs like word processing. I was interested because I've never heard of word processing so i asked my dad. Word processing was where you spoke into a little microphone and a lady downstairs would listen to you and type up your paper on the typewriter. This was before computers. So their entire example was decades obsolete yet they taught it as if it was happening right now. Second of all those women were sitting down in a climate controlled room. That's a lot different than swinging a hammer for 10 hours on top of a 100 degree roof. Not to mention the wear on your body over time. Third many women choose to take off work after they have children while men do not. Then when they go back to work, they are a couple years behind where the man is which is not accounted in this 7% issue.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:52 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If equally capable women can be hired for 7% less than men then a non-sexist company should hire practically all women.
Dear God, what a miserable place to work. Most women hate working with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Third many women choose to take off work after they have children while men do not. Then when they go back to work, they are a couple years behind where the man is which is not accounted in this 7% issue.
Now, that is mighty sexist of you. Don't you know that years spent changing diapers and breast pumping should be counted towards their experience and salaries?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What would you focus on when looking into this issue so that the info the public receives on this issue is accurate?
Here's why the whole gender pay issue is ridiculous: suppose that women are truly paid less for doing the same job with the same quality, no sane business person in the world would hire men ever again!!!

I don't believe there's absolutely no discrimination against women - there is but in general, no. If there is widespread discrimination against women at workplace, one must assume that most business owners are stupid because they would pay someone more to do the same job with the same quality just because they are men, and they would be willing to go bankrupt because their competition would easily undercut them by hiring women, paying them less to do the same job with the same quality.

I am not sure about other people as people nowadays believe any stupid crap the media tell them but I am not that stupid and neither are most business owners.

Women in general are paid less because they aren't doing the same job or not with the same quality! I just have a lady emailed me, telling me that she wouldn't be able to attend the pre-scheduled management training because she's about to give birth. Well, if she misses next promotion, would that be discrimination?

It's stupid to believe women are truly paid less. They are not. Let's move on to the next topic.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-24-2016 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies