Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who would fund the public option for health care? The people who don't pay federal income taxes currently, as the European and Canadian taxpayers all pay federal income taxes regardless of income unlike the lower income tax bracket US taxpayers.
There would probably be some sort of value-added tax like most countries in the world already have. European countries pay 20%-25% on essentially everything because "free" healthcare isn't free. Americans of all walks of life would have a quite an eye-opening experience when everything suddenly jumps in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:44 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Your employer is heavily subsidizing your payments and will almost certainly dump everyone onto a single payer plan as soon as they can.

I had a similarly excellent plan with my previous employer ($80/month for what would be considered a Cadillac plan) and it took a huge toll on the company's bottom line. Then I was suddenly laid off 2 years ago and I've been unable to find work. I paid about $650/month for a decent Humana plan, but I dropped it a few months ago because I just couldn't afford it. I don't qualify for a subsidy because they go by your tax returns and last year I cashed in my 401k to survive. Right now I'm flat broke and uninsured and I won't/can't get new insurance before January, so I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have any sort of health crisis these next few months.
Part of HC reform is to get workers HC off the back of business. And then - hopefully to increase wages.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
There would probably be some sort of value-added tax like most countries in the world already have. European countries pay 20%-25% on essentially everything because "free" healthcare isn't free. Americans of all walks of life would have a quite an eye-opening experience when everything suddenly jumps in price.
Americans will vote against the European solution. They pay too much in taxes as it is.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Good point, DerpyDerp. VAT is something Obama wanted to implement but never got around to doing. I would think Hillary would pursue a VAT tax as well, soon. Americans would welcome more taxes. We are willing to give our income to help others less fortunate instead of using that money for ourselves or our children.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Do we really NEED 19 aircraft carriers when Russia and China each have ONE? How about we stick about 5 into mothballs and stop building new ones for awhile. Do we really NEED troops in virtually every country in the world?
Yes, you need to protect the Petro-Dollar....of course, I'm assuming you want to maintain your 1st World Standard of Living and Life-Style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Medicare is insurance and not a healthcare system like the VA.
Correct, and even then, the VA system is effectively Worker's Compensation for veterans.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Who will pay for it?????? This is lesson in government 101, THE GOVERNMENT HAS NO MONEY, IN FACT, IT'S BROKE!!!!!!! So where do you think it will come from? Of course they'll tell you that their going to "give you universal care".

Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Who will pay for it?????? This is lesson in government 101, THE GOVERNMENT HAS NO MONEY, IN FACT, IT'S BROKE!!!!!!! So where do you think it will come from? Of course they'll tell you that their going to "give you universal care".
How'd they pay for WW2?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
How'd they pay for WW2?
Unless money grew on trees back then, the only place to harvest it was from taxpayers. Don't forget, tax payers are an infinite source, the government can keep borrowing from generations into the future.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:45 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Your employer is heavily subsidizing your payments and will almost certainly dump everyone onto a single payer plan as soon as they can.
Yup, you're most likely spot on. It is a great plan in that I never use it (in the past 85 months) and don't pay much for it but it's there if I ever needed it.
Quote:
I had a similarly excellent plan with my previous employer ($80/month for what would be considered a Cadillac plan) and it took a huge toll on the company's bottom line. Then I was suddenly laid off 2 years ago and I've been unable to find work. I paid about $650/month for a decent Humana plan, but I dropped it a few months ago because I just couldn't afford it. I don't qualify for a subsidy because they go by your tax returns and last year I cashed in my 401k to survive. Right now I'm flat broke and uninsured and I won't/can't get new insurance before January, so I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have any sort of health crisis these next few months.
I'm sorry. Sounds wretched.
Quote:
Americans of all walks of life would have a quite an eye-opening experience when everything suddenly jumps in price.
On the other hand, I'd no longer have much incentive to care for my own health, so I could let myself go. Of course, I'd be spending a LOT less money in the local economy... but hey, macroeconomic contraction can be fun too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Americans will vote against the European solution.
Americans, you say? Oh, I didn't realize this would be one big referendum vote.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Unless money grew on trees back then, the only place to harvest it was from taxpayers. Don't forget, tax payers are an infinite source, the government can keep borrowing from generations into the future.
The US initially paid for WW2 by creating many thousands of private sector loans to raise an enormous amount of money in a very short time. This could only happen in a timely manner via central controls and Fed guarantees. Available taxes were not sufficient, and took more time to lay and then collect. Same with War Bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies