Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Where's Russia on that list? How does honest Putin look?
Russia has state owned news media and is honest about it. The USA has state owned news media and is dishonest about it calling it free private news media.

Putin and Russia are where they should be, protecting themselves from US sponsored psychological warfare via propaganda campaigns. That is a good. Both Ghana and Russia are doing well, with respects to their own challenges they face, and Putin remains the greatest leader on earth, at least of any major power. He ought in fact be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Thank ya kindly. (You need to spend more time worrying about your own country rather than looking for the splinter in the eye of Russia.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:02 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I'm surprised we're 41st....we're definitely below China, Russia, & N. Korea when it comes to media.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The US is 41st mainly due to Snowden and National Security Restrictions relating to reporting, it's the same with the UK.

Table of Countries - Reporters Without Borders 2016

38. United Kingdom

41. United States

Old 10-25-2016, 11:13 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
It is not "freedom of the press" when newspapers and others are allowed to say and write whatever they want even if it is completely false!
Just sayin'...

Old 10-25-2016, 03:45 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99others View Post
Freedom of the press is construed as an absence of interference by outside entities, such as a government or religious organization`
thank you, captain obvious.

Quote:
and you link is CNS news which sounds like a fake conservative site posting as real news.
there is a link to the full report from Reporters Without Borders right there in the first sentence for your edification. please read it and stop whining about the source.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Russia has state owned news media and is honest about it. The USA has state owned news media and is dishonest about it calling it free private news media.

Putin and Russia are where they should be, protecting themselves from US sponsored psychological warfare via propaganda campaigns. That is a good. Both Ghana and Russia are doing well, with respects to their own challenges they face, and Putin remains the greatest leader on earth, at least of any major power. He ought in fact be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Really? So you admit Russia should be on a much lower tier than the US. US is 41st and Russia is 148 out of 180 countries. Quite a bit of a difference, no?

Putin is about as worthy as Obama for the peace price. At least we try and minimize civilian causalities in Syria. But Putin can't help that, their munitions aren't as accurate as ours.

You trolling me brah?

Quote:
Thank ya kindly. (You need to spend more time worrying about your own country rather than looking for the splinter in the eye of Russia.)
Considering the state of Russia's economy and it's commodity based nature, they should be more worried about their country too.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm surprised we're 41st....we're definitely below China, Russia, & N. Korea when it comes to media.
Good joke.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I knew the media was completely corrupt when none of them questioned the lies they peddled daily on behalf of Bush and Cheney for going to war in Iraq.

I haven't trusted them since.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I knew the media was completely corrupt when none of them questioned the lies they peddled daily on behalf of Bush and Cheney for going to war in Iraq.

I haven't trusted them since.
I was pretty much flabbergasted when the press found nothing interesting in the Army Chief of Staff and the Marine Commandant continually disputing Rumsfeld and Wolfovitz on the number of troops needed for the invasion (and 70,000 versus 250,000 is a big dispute). I was amazed when the press found nothing interesting in the DIA dropping broad hints that they also disagreed with Rumsfeld, and that they thought nothing of it when Rumsfeld pulled the DIA out of the picture, creating a group of yes-men to "find the evidence that the other agencies missed."

Huh? "Find the evidence that the other agencies missed?"

If the other agencies "missed" it, why was Rumsfeld convinced it was there at all? Oh, because he believed "Curveball"--who the DIA had already ruled "unreliable."

Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was pretty much flabbergasted when the press found nothing interesting in the Army Chief of Staff and the Marine Commandant continually disputing Rumsfeld and Wolfovitz on the number of troops needed for the invasion (and 70,000 versus 250,000 is a big dispute). I was amazed when the press found nothing interesting in the DIA dropping broad hints that they also disagreed with Rumsfeld, and that they thought nothing of it when Rumsfeld pulled the DIA out of the picture, creating a group of yes-men to "find the evidence that the other agencies missed."

Huh? "Find the evidence that the other agencies missed?"

If the other agencies "missed" it, why was Rumsfeld convinced it was there at all? Oh, because he believed "Curveball"--who the DIA had already ruled "unreliable."
I'll always remember NBC firing Phil Donahue because they didn't want to sound "unpatriotic", a lone voice in the wilderness brave enough to disagree with the media spin machine and he is fired for it. When Bush gave press conferences his questions he answered were all screened in advance. The press said nothing. Then there was the "liberal" New York Times who could have scrutinized the neoconservatives favorite journalist, Judith Miller, but instead they gave her free reign to spread their lies all over their newspaper.

But sometimes journalists get it right, even if it is after the fact::

Quote:
For his tenacious reporting that revealed how some retired generals, working as radio and television analysts, had been co-opted by the Pentagon to make its case for the war in Iraq, and how many of them also had undisclosed ties to companies that benefited from policies they defended.
The Pulitzer Prizes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies