Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Reverend Wright, who Obama referred to as his spiritual advisor of 20+ years, the Reverend who married the Obamas, and the Reverend who baptized Obama's daughters has that same belief and preaches such. What do you have to say about that?

Reverend Wright while visiting a traditionally Black Church (much like Obama's Trinity Church in Chicago) in Washington, D.C. in 2012:

Wright: We need control
I think I'm an atheist and don't see any religious leader as all that great of an individual.

However, the little I know of Wright, I can emphatically state that he is not a black nationalist racist like Farrakhan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:03 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think I'm an atheist and don't see any religious leader as all that great of an individual.

However, the little I know of Wright, I can emphatically state that he is not a black nationalist racist like Farrakhan.
Based on what? Reverend Wright himself said Trinity Church is based on Black Liberation Theology, which is indeed Black nationalist racist.

And Obama went along with that for over 20 years.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Based on what? Reverend Wright himself said Trinity Church is based on Black Liberation Theology, which is indeed Black nationalist racist.

And Obama went along with that for over 20 years.
Based on the fact that I know a lot about NOI and the little I know about Wright is nothing like NOI. "Black Liberation Theology" does not teach congregants that white people are devils that were made in a pot....

It actually was a creation of a minister named James H. Cone and Wright was an adherent of his theology. The core tenets from what I remember (I looked into this during the Obama campaign back then) is that black ministers and congregants should view God as a central force in their self-determination as a people.

A quote of Cone:

Quote:
The black theologian must reject any conception of God which stifles black self-determination by picturing God as a God of all peoples. Either God is identified with the oppressed to the point that their experience becomes God's experience, or God is a God of racism.... The blackness of God means that God has made the oppressed condition God's own condition. This is the essence of the Biblical revelation. By electing Israelite slaves as the people of God and by becoming the Oppressed One in Jesus Christ, the human race is made to understand that God is known where human beings experience humiliation and suffering....Liberation is not an afterthought, but the very essence of divine activity. (A Black Theology of Liberation, pp. 63-64)

I think the time has come for black theologians and black church people to move beyond a mere reaction to white racism in America and begin to extend our vision of a new socially constructed humanity in the whole inhabited world...For humanity is whole, and cannot be isolated into racial and national groups.
I also did listen to some sermons by Wright during the 2008 election that were played online and they are nothing like Farrakhan. I think people who try to compare NOI with BLT don't know much about NOI and its beginnings and teaching. BLT does not teach black people to segregate themselves from American society in "black only" spaces. Also, again, it does not teach that white people are devils either.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
"Black Liberation Theology" does not teach congregants that white people are devils that were made in a pot....not teach that white people are devils either.
Black Liberation Theology teaches pretty damned close to that.

Direct quotes from James Cone, Black Liberation Theology's founder:

"all white men are responsible for white oppression"
Black Theology and Black Power - James H. Cone -

"The goal of black theology is the destruction of everything white, so that blacks can be liberated from alien gods."
A Black Theology of Liberation - James H. Cone - Google Books

"The free person in America is the one who does not tolerate whiteness but fights against it, knowing that it is the source of human misery."
A Black Theology of Liberation - James H. Cone - Google Books

"Most whites, some despite involvement in protests, do believe in "freedom in democracy," and they fight to make the ideals of the Constitution an empirical reality for all. It seems that they believe that, if we just work hard enough at it, this country can be what it ought to be. But it never dawns on these do-gooders that what is wrong with America is not its failure to make the Constitution a reality for all, but rather its belief that persons can affirm whiteness and humanity at the same time."
https://books.google.com/books?id=HW...page&q&f=false

James Cone's CV, listing him as the founder of Black Liberation Theology:
https://utsnyc.edu/academics/faculty/james-h-cone/

Does that not sound exactly like Rev Wright's racist hate Whitey 2012 preaching in yet another Black church (which I posted earlier in the thread)? Why, yes it does.

Trinity is a racist hate Whitey church. And Rev Wright was Obama's spiritual advisor/mentor for 20+ years.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:17 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
No one says that. I seriously doubt blacks are going to vote for Crooked Hillary in anything close to the numbers they voted for Obama. Blacks are never going to forgive Republicans for giving them their freedom but I bet more will vote for Trump to escape the welfare shackles the Dems have on them.
I thought you folks said that our freedoms are God given..not given to us by governments.

Yeah...thought we'd miss that one, huh?
Quote:
Funny? Hardly. More like truly sad that Blacks continue to vote for their own oppression. Read my prior post on education.
We do whatever we want. Get over it.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Just wanted to note on the black that Farrakhan thinks all white people are devils and evil lol.

I personally think he is a racist and hate monger and I don't follow the black nationalist mindset so never take any of them seriously.

But I agree with the other points you mentioned but for a majority of businesses, they are not affected by federal regulations. Most lay Americans are not opening up a coal operation for instance. Even construction related jobs are not heavily affected by federal regulations. They are affected by state and local regulations. In my city, they have some ridiculous rules/regs in regards to construction contractors in particular that start at the state level and go down to the county and city. I have quite a few family members who own their own businesses outside of my husband. Most are service related (consulting), construction/trade, food service (restaurant/food truck), or childcare service providers. All of them except consulting is heavily regulated by the state and local government and not the feds.

On the right and black people, I'm sure that you give "the right" a good listening to when they are around. I also do. I am an independent and I do think that black people labeling ourselves as independent and not aligning ourselves with a specific party is on the rise. I know a lot of black Americans in my age group (late 30s-early 40s) and younger who are independents. I have millenial nephews and cousins who are also independent and they particularly like Rand Paul. So I think it is ridiculous for the GOP to not believe that black people will listen to them and vote on issues that are important to us that they are promoting. InformedConsent mentioned vouchers. Even though a lot of Democrats today, especially where I live are in support of vouchers, that really is more of a thing that the GOP has pushed to get passed in many areas. Black Americans are overwhelmingly in support of school vouchers. If the GOP candidate tailors their message to what Black Americans want then they will be listened to and supported. Not by 90% but even if they can pull 20-30% of us in a national election, that will make a huge difference for them.

I mention it often but here in Ohio Kasich got nearly 30% of the black vote in Ohio in our last gubernatorial election. He did it because of focusing on MBEs, school vouchers (expanding the "EdChoice" program), and accepting the ACA Medicaid expansion. He went to black churches, business organizations, and community groups with his message. When candidates listen to black people about what our issues are and tailor their message to us, then we will give them some support.
The independent tag is where we need to be... totally agree.

Speaking of addressing black issues, I just listened to this from Trump in Charlotte - and he hits many issues in the black community. The speech starts at 1h 04m. Speaks on schools as the civil rights issue of our time, jobs, funding HBCUs, the potential of black Americans, etc. It was a good speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkDxXDO_q7g

Old 10-27-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We do whatever we want. Get over it.
Blacks want to be oppressed? OK, if you say so...

Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Speaking of addressing black issues, I just listened to this from Trump in Charlotte - and he hits many issues in the black community. The speech starts at 1h 04m. Speaks on schools as the civil rights issue of our time, jobs, funding HBCUs, the potential of black Americans, etc. It was a good speech.

Exactly. Not sure why SO many Blacks completely miss that point and continue to accept substandard education for their K-12 kids from Dem politicians.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The independent tag is where we need to be... totally agree.

One speech isn't going to make a difference at this point IMO. I do not have time to listen to the video right now but if he wanted to be more rational then he should have started out on a rational foot instead of saying that "African Americans and Hispanics" live in "hell" in the inner city lol. Also that we live in fear and get shot walking down the street!!

He said that in all 3 of the debates along with how we are all suffering and poor. That is condescending IMO and made me roll my eyes and will make a lot of black people who are independents such as myself not take him seriously and think he is detached from reality. I have never been shot at or shot and I have lived in some bad neighborhoods and never feared for my life. Many of my family members got a great laugh out of the last debate about him saying we get shot walking down the street!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
One speech isn't going to make a difference at this point IMO.
Of course it won't because Blacks will continue to vote for their own educational and therefore socioeconomic oppression. So... if they're getting exactly that for which they're voting, why do taxpayers have to artificially fund the basic needs of a disproportionate percentage of Blacks via food stamps, Medicaid, welfare, etc., etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies