Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you, too, take the minority vote for Dems for granted? That's pretty condescending to minorities, don't you think? You're assuming they're not capable of critical thinking.
LOL, what does that have to do with what I stated?

I'm a "minority." How can I take my own vote for granted??? lol

I'm just telling you that you believing Trump is going to get a large number of votes from black Americans over NAFTA is not based in reality. That NAFTA is not important to a large majority of black voters. All black voters do not work in manufacturing. And even those that due, like in my own family, overwhelmingly are voting for HRC, not Trump because they do not like Trump and they do not feel he is suited to be president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:56 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, what does that have to do with what I stated?
Pretty much everything. You should read what you post. Very condescending, and implies minorities can't think for themselves.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
On this, I think you may not be fully involved in politics with a wide range of black people in America.

FWIW, I am black and I do know a lot of black people, including myself, who are not fully enthralled with Hillary Clinton being president. But a majority of us detest Trump. I remember earlier in the election season that in Ohio where I live, based on polls 0% of blacks were voting for Trump lol. I think the number has risen to about 3% last time I checked, which is horrible considering the state I live in and Republicans have pulled 10-20% on statewide elections here, or more.

Over 90% of black Americans nationwide give Obama a good approval rating. I am an independent and moderate. I have some conservative leanings in regards to fiscal responsibility in particular. I think that Obama has a solid B+ job in regards to his tenure as our president. I think he has been effective on his platform and he has done a very good job steering us out of the recession economically. I especially like that my investment accounts have doubled (some tripled) in value during his time in the White House. I am much more confident in the ability of HRC to continue to keep the markets stabilized versus Trump.

I think you are basing your view on a particular outlying group of black people. Numbers do not back what you are saying. Also, even if black voters do not 100% like HRC we dam near 100% detest Trump so the vote will go to HRC in large numbers.

Will also point out that even prior to Obama's candidacy that black American voters had very high voter participation rates. I think that will continue with this election. I live in a swing state and nearly every person I know is dissatisfied in some way with both candidates, but a majority are voting for HRC. Black people IMO by and large feel it is a civic duty of ours to vote because of the fight our ancestors had to endure to get us the vote. We feel it is a huge responsibility of ours to vote and we turn out due to that feeling. I don't see our participation rates dipping very much in this election considering how many voted in 2000 and 2004 before Obama came on the picture.
I am just going on what what have seen on TV and various YouTube videos.

I totally understand that the black vote for Dems will NOT decline to 85% anytime soon.

I am just saying that more black people than I can remember are outwardly opposed to HRC/Dems. Usually that means there are more behind the scenes.

I do agree with you that we do vote in large numbers.

You mentioned your investments are up, and you think he has done a good job with his platform. The DowJones is in great shape... that's 30 companies. If you invest in those companies, you just prove that you are smart and know what's going on.

To me - he keeps up certain sectors of the country, but the inner core of this country is in terrible shape, and is being gutted. Part of it is the government's fault. Part of it is our own mismanagement of resources and lack of education.

The large amount of regulations make it hard for people to work their way up in society. And many of those regulations put you in tension to what should be the right thing to do. You want to start a business... the amount of regulations make it difficult to start up. You want to hire more people... the cost of hiring Americans is too high... meanwhile, foreign labor is cheap so maybe you will break the law and hire illegal immigrants so your business will survive. HRC will continue Obama's regulatory blitz on America.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Georgia will be a work in progress to switch from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party in Georgia has eroded over 20 years. I wonder how many conservative Americans of African descent in Georgia have increased in number.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Again, I asked you to prove your point. You are offering sardonic comments. Prove your point, or admit that you have lied and engaged in race baiting.
I didn't lie, you just don't like how I framed it.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If White voters in states with large Black populations like Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, etc voted the same as White voters in conservative Kentucky they would always go Democrat in presidential elections. 90% of Whites in MS and AL voted for Romney compared to 65% in KY. What has happened in VA and NC is enough northern Whites who vote Democrat have moved in to join with the large Black population to swing those states in presidential elections.
There was also a significant influx of Blacks from the Northeast, Midwest and West (as well as other areas of the South). In 1980, Georgia's Black population was 1,448,137 (26.51%). By 2014, that number was 3,056,726 (30.85%). In North Carolina, the Black population increased from 1,304,560 to 2,093,389 during the same time period.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am just going on what what have seen on TV and various YouTube videos.

I totally understand that the black vote for Dems will NOT decline to 85% anytime soon.

I am just saying that more black people than I can remember are outwardly opposed to HRC/Dems. Usually that means there are more behind the scenes.

I do agree with you that we do vote in large numbers.

You mentioned your investments are up, and you think he has done a good job with his platform. The DowJones is in great shape... that's 30 companies. If you invest in those companies, you just prove that you are smart and know what's going on.

To me - he keeps up certain sectors of the country, but the inner core of this country is in terrible shape, and is being gutted. Part of it is the government's fault. Part of it is our own mismanagement of resources and lack of education.

The large amount of regulations make it hard for people to work their way up in society. And many of those regulations put you in tension to what should be the right thing to do. You want to start a business... the amount of regulations make it difficult to start up. You want to hire more people... the cost of hiring Americans is too high... meanwhile, foreign labor is cheap so maybe you will break the law and hire illegal immigrants so your business will survive. HRC will continue Obama's regulatory blitz on America.
On the bold, I invest primarily in index funds modeled after the S&P 500, not Dow Jones, so I am invested in more than 30 companies.

On the regulations portion, I agree that starting a business can be regulation burdensome, but that is not due to federal government. It is due to state and local government. I live in a Democratic city and county with a governor who is a Republican. My spouse opened a business here and had to go through a lot of bureaucracy with the state, county, and city. However, he was going to open a similar business when we lived in Georgia and they had MUCH more regulation there than we have here in Ohio.

So IMO Obama and the federal regulators really don't have all that much of an effect on business creation. The state especially has the most regulations and in Democratic areas I do think that they usually have many more layers of regulation crap. My spouse is from Chicago and felt it as similar to Atlanta in regards to his desire to open a business. I know a lot of people who moved to this area from Michigan as well due to that state placing more regulations, fees, and all sorts of licensing requirements on various businesses versus Ohio. In Atlanta, the city itself and county had the most burdensome license requirements.

So IMO people who talk about regulations and "business creation" in regards to Obama and the federal government overlook the fact that state and local governments are usually the primary areas where these regulations will come into play. Obama has actually done a lot to increase funding to the SBA and state and local governments to assist people to open businesses with loan opportunities. I know because at a previous position of which I worked, part of my job was referring entrepreneurs to these organizations to assist them in establishing small businesses.

And on black people being opposed to HRC and Democrats, IMO that is nothing new. As stated, I'm black. Black people b**tch all the time about Democrats lol. I think many of you just don't pay attention to that fact. However, even when we b**tch we rarely see any viable options on the right side of the political sphere and due to us feeling it is a duty of ours to vote, we will vote for the Democrat even with we don't like them all that much. I honestly don't particularly like HRC but I'm voting for her based on the factor above - the markets will remain stable, and honestly she is just smarter and more knowledgeable about actual government, policy, and how the government works versus Donald Trump. I also see him as more corrupt than she is because I worked in housing and know a lot about his past in regards to housing discrimination. His cases were used as case studies in trainings I had to participate in. I also don't buy into the idea that he is all that much of a successful businessman. IMO he is a poor little rich kid who inherited millions of dollars and who just continuously invested it to make his billions along with selling his image and licensing his name. He IMO does not know how to run a typical business and would not have been successful at anything if it weren't for his rich father, who actually was a self made man.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
On the regulations portion, I agree that starting a business can be regulation burdensome, but that is not due to federal government. It is due to state and local government. I live in a Democratic city and county with a governor who is a Republican. My spouse opened a business here and had to go through a lot of bureaucracy with the state, county, and city. However, he was going to open a similar business when we lived in Georgia and they had MUCH more regulation there than we have here in Ohio.
How would federal regulations impact my ability to open a gastropub in the Bronx?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:05 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And people were saying around here not too long ago in several threads that the black vote is meaningless.

In Georgia, if the perfect storm happens in this election for Hillary...i.e. a huge black voter turnout, she would only need one in four white folks to take the state of Georgia. Obama didn't even try to take the state, and only lost it by five points in 2012.

That's because of all the new transplants to the Atlanta area. The numbers are astonishing. I knew a lot of people had moved there, but I didn't realize that it was enough to move the political needle in the state.

Can Clinton turn Georgia from red to blue? It's a matter of black and white - LA Times
Irrelevance depends upon to WHOM.

They are highly relevant to the Democrats given the voting %'s and in some places that really matters.

The bigger issue is how little cache blacks get in terms of a seat at the political table due to the fact that they're not going to vote for the other party....free milk and all that.

Maybe after helping the democrats so much they will have some of their concerns about policing, profiling, incarceration etc. addressed? I mean, the worst places for that are places like LA, Chicago etc. which being democratic bastions should make it easy for the favor to be returned.

Right?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Irrelevance depends upon to WHOM.

They are highly relevant to the Democrats given the voting %'s and in some places that really matters.

The bigger issue is how little cache blacks get in terms of a seat at the political table due to the fact that they're not going to vote for the other party....free milk and all that.

Maybe after helping the democrats so much they will have some of their concerns about policing, profiling, incarceration etc. addressed? I mean, the worst places for that are places like LA, Chicago etc. which being democratic bastions should make it easy for the favor to be returned.

Right?
So if Black people gave more votes to Republicans, then that would be beneficial to them because...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies