Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

I remember this story and it brokd my heart. You won't find much on this outside of black media outlets, but might I ask why she had a child in one hand DMV s gun in the other? Not that this necessarily condones losing her life. Let's talk.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Agreed. It is very sad. Unfortunately, race and gender are double strikes in this society.
I'm yielding the floor to you and calipoppy to have the discussion.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:01 AM

I want to revisit this story. I don't know if any of you remember this Facebook Live story from last year. Basically a mother is hitting her daughter for posting suggestive pictures on Facebook. This is a black family, and earlier I touched on corporal punishment in this thread. Does anyone remember this story? Do you think the girl deserved the punishment? Do you think the mom went to far? What could have been done differently?

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...d-yall-to-send

Old 04-04-2017, 06:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
I always tell my kids this rule: To get something you have to give up something. There are really no "net gains" in the universe. If you want to add to something you have to subtract from something.

In regards to our ambition as a community or collective and for unity and progress.......what have or are we willing to subtract from to add to our collective growth? What was the last thing that each of us have given up for the cause of "blackness"?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I want to revisit this story. I don't know if any of you remember this Facebook Live story from last year. Basically a mother is hitting her daughter for posting suggestive pictures on Facebook. This is a black family, and earlier I touched on corporal punishment in this thread. Does anyone remember this story? Do you think the girl deserved the punishment? Do you think the mom went to far? What could have been done differently?

Mother Streams Beating of Her Daughter on Facebook Live: 'I'm Gonna Need Y'All to Send This Viral'
I remember that. I do think it went too far. That was pretty much violence. Granted, that girl should not have been posting suggestive photos. On the other hand, look at the mother. She is dressed kind of revealing herself.

The girl deserved some punishment, but that was just violence. And livestreaming said violence. It exposes the mother being an attention junky. Taking the computer and camera away for a while would help.

And then there is this. What kind of teenage girl posts suggestive photos of herself on the internet?

This isn't the only video of corporal punishment being filmed and put on the internet for the public to see.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
I'm yielding the floor to you and calipoppy to have the discussion.
Issues that effect black women and black girls should be a matter of concern to us all.

Therefore, as the OP and as a black man, I am asking that you not abdicate from your role in this discussion but LEAD it by delving deeper.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Issues that effect black women and black girls should be a matter of concern to us all.

Therefore, as the OP and as a black man, I am asking that you not abdicate from your role in this discussion but LEAD it by delving deeper.
And I can do that be introducing some new topics regarding these matters and gradually these topics should evolve to deeper conversations. Look at the thread overall. It started off with several questions and from there several more conversations came about. I would like to introduce some new topics on black women and girls and issues that effect them because, I do believe that when black women are suffering we are all (the black community) suffers.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I remember that. I do think it went too far. That was pretty much violence. Granted, that girl should not have been posting suggestive photos. On the other hand, look at the mother. She is dressed kind of revealing herself.

The girl deserved some punishment, but that was just violence. And livestreaming said violence. It exposes the mother being an attention junky. Taking the computer and camera away for a while would help.

And then there is this. What kind of teenage girl posts suggestive photos of herself on the internet? I agree, and WHY. Is she trying to communicate something. Why is she seeking this level of attention?

This isn't the only video of corporal punishment being filmed and put on the internet for the public to see.

I agree that the mother was kind of dress like what we would call a "THOT" herself. Though, at that age, I if I had been posting pictures of myself in my underwear, I probably would've gotten my ass whipped too. That said, it did NOT need to be broadcasted on the world wide web. I'm just glad that the mother did not use any objects, plus she was allowed to keep her clothes on.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yet again, black WOMEN and GIRLS issues/concerns/crises are cast aside to discuss black MEN'S issues.
I agree with this.

But honestly will note that this is the case IMO because too many black women work for the rights of black men versus ourselves.

Earlier in the thread I believe pandora posted a video of some self proclaimed "black feminist" and all she was talking about was "our black men."

Black women not focusing on issues we face on all levels, is the main reason why our issues are tossed aside. Black women are EXCELLENT organizers and perpetrators of the cultural tenet of black America regarding activism. Any "movement" that has ever been prominent in this country in regards to anti-slavery, anti-lynching, education, and civil rights, has been coordinated by black women.

We work to better "the race" as a whole and do not focus on ourselves. When we do black men will go on and on about how they have "more problems" than we do and that we should take a back to seat to their issues or work on issues regarding "the race" (meaning black men) instead of issues facing black women (and children BTW).

It is an interesting, misogynist phenomenon IMO and black women, especially many who claim to be feminist (but only from a racial POV) buy into it and place themselves beneath their men in regards to our own needs, wants, and desires on many fronts.

Black Girls Rock, the show is cool and all, but what exactly is the organization doing behind the scenes (and FWIW I know they do work with young black girls and women but I highly doubt many people know that they do). What issues are they working to combat amongst young black girls and women? Again, I doubt most people know.

Black women need to focus more on ourselves. Not on LGBTQ issues, not or exclusively racial injustice, but on black women and girls and what we need. When we do this, our concerns and issues will get more attention and more results to solve problems within our gender demographic.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

Mother Streams Beating of Her Daughter on Facebook Live: 'I'm Gonna Need Y'All to Send This Viral'

In regards to punishment of the girl, her mother went overboard. I could not watch that entire video because it was too disturbing and I think the mother should have been charged with abuse.

The way to keep your daughter from posting pictures of herself is to just take her phone.

And FWIW, I have a teen and he has posted pics of himself online that I felt were inappropriate - boys also do this. I did not beat him but I took his phone from him and he will not get it back for over a year.

That is how you punish kids - take their media. It is not a "need." I was a teen once and survived without a smartphone or social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies