Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
This discussion is really me trying to have a conversation on various issues w/ special attention to the black community so I ESPECIALLY want other blacks input. . What do other blacks think regarding this?
Am I imposing? It's not so good, huh ? I'll leave you to your thread.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:10 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer2016 View Post
Probably not directly, but indirectly. The black friends of the black family members will visit them. The black friends will want to move in if they like the neighborhood. Then the black friends of the black friends will want to move in. When the percentage of the black residents is over 20%, white flight starts, schools go downhill, crimes go up, housing values go down, …
Actually, the percentage that triggered white flight was only 8%.

However, where white flight did not occur, property values stayed up and only affluent blacks moved to affluent areas.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
There are whites who live in urban developments who receive section 8, however many low income whites live in rural areas and the program that would be used would be through the USDA rather than HUD. The USDA provides rural rental assistance. Where I live, there have been a few affordable housing developments that have been developed that do not take section 8 vouchers but the housing will be solely income based (i.e. there will be a maximum amount of income that one can make to live in them). Depending on where one falls in the income bracket, they may pay one thing while their neighbor may pay more or less depending on their income.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is the way I see it. I am aware more corporal punishment takes place in the Black population than any other group in the USA.
Nope.

Quote:
However, there are more things I see. Highest rate of divorce. Higher rate of murder than any other race. Black men are the nation's #1 murder victim and perpetrator. Granted, this only constitutes a fraction of 1 percent of the Black male population. Black children are more likely to suffer from being abused than any other children. We hear more reports of Black youths causing behavior issues in school than any other group. While the majority of Blacks aren't committing crimes, there are higher rates of violent crimes done by Black youths than other youths. If corporal punishment worked, crimes committed by Blacks would essentially be zero. Black youths would be the best behaved in school. I don't think it works based on the data. Why it isn't working, well, there are many reasons to consider.
You would expect swatting a disobedient kid to overcome divorce, drugs, and racism? Tall order.

And so because it doesn't solve all the world's problems, it's useless?

Of course, a lot of people do it wrong anyway. For instance, it's not useful by the time a kid reaches school age.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Like I said, I don't mind other races commenting but this thread is supposed to be informative and not a bash fest.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Some people you cannot have these sorts of discussions with. I think that is why I don't have as many as some people. Once I recognize that someone is closed minded, I no longer engage with them.

I was also initially a Sociology major. It is a fascinating subject.
What did you ultimately switch to?

Old 10-29-2016, 05:24 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
This discussion is really me trying to have a conversation on various issues w/ special attention to the black community so I ESPECIALLY want other blacks input. I don't mind white individuals commenting, but this is not stormfront nor is this a thread to just vent black hatred. Now, on to the next question:

Do you think that we as blacks need to get involved more with our school boards to see a turn around in predominantly black public schools? Do you think we should be opening up charter schools and private schools in our communities? Obviously we would not exclude anyone based on race, however I think that charter schools and private school separate from the state or county would really benefit us as it would allow us to control the type of education our students receive and we also have less of a chance of receiving hand me downs as far as equipment. What do other blacks think regarding this?
It was. This was an opportunity for some to explain things they have seen and been through.. It wasn't meant for stormfronters. Sadly, the stormfronters will look for every opportunity to complain about Blacks.

As for the school boards, I see it like this. If you're a parent and you have children in the school system, you should get involved with you child's school and be very involved.

Charter schools and private schools, this is how I see it. Compared to the average public school, those type of schools might be better options for the students, especially if the local public schools aren't doing the job.

My father talked about sending me to a private school. He admitted that they were better. Well, private school isn't cheap, and the county I lived in, there were no private schools. Between driving out of county(gasoline) and the tuition, it was basically go to the public school I was zoned to. Ironically, the nearest private school was in a county with better schools than where we lived. We lived in a predominantly White school district(it's still predominantly White now). It would have helped if my parents had gotten involved in the school board. However, I will say this. If my father had done his research, he might have spent more money to get into a better school district.

I do feel that if the residents in majority Black school districts got more involved with their school districts, things might turn around for the better, depending on who gets involved. I think it would be better if more Black parents kept tabs on what goes on in the schools their children attend. My parents knew the high school I was attending wasn't that great. However, the mentality was "just abide your time here, try to keep out of trouble, get good grades, then go to college".

Old 10-29-2016, 05:29 PM

It's been found that many charter school students outperform their public school counterparts. Plus, they provide a better alternative to those that cannot afford private school.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was. This was an opportunity for some to explain things they have seen and been through.. It wasn't meant for stormfronters. Sadly, the stormfronters will look for every opportunity to complain about Blacks. I'm not worried about that interruption, it has been put on my ignore list.

As for the school boards, I see it like this. If you're a parent and you have children in the school system, you should get involved with you child's school and be very involved. Yes! and so many don't today. I think schools overall would do better if parent's were involved again.

Charter schools and private schools, this is how I see it. Compared to the average public school, those type of schools might be better options for the students, especially if the local public schools aren't doing the job.

My father talked about sending me to a private school. He admitted that they were better. Well, private school isn't cheap, and the county I lived in, there were no private schools. Between driving out of county(gasoline) and the tuition, it was basically go to the public school I was zoned to. Ironically, the nearest private school was in a county with better schools than where we lived. We lived in a predominantly White school district(it's still predominantly White now). It would have helped if my parents had gotten involved in the school board. However, I will say this. If my father had done his research, he might have spent more money to get into a better school district.

I do feel that if the residents in majority Black school districts got more involved with their school districts, things might turn around for the better, depending on who gets involved. I think it would be better if more Black parents kept tabs on what goes on in the schools their children attend. My parents knew the high school I was attending wasn't that great. However, the mentality was "just abide your time here, try to keep out of trouble, get good grades, then go to college".
My hometown recently begin building charter schools as the north side of the city, well virtually all the schools have closed. The charter schools are on the south side but they provide free alternative to expensive private schools. There was a predominantly black private school on the north side of the city, however the church could no longer fund the school.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Do you think that we as blacks need to get involved more with our school boards to see a turn around in predominantly black public schools? Do you think we should be opening up charter schools and private schools in our communities? Obviously we would not exclude anyone based on race, however I think that charter schools and private school separate from the state or county would really benefit us as it would allow us to control the type of education our students receive and we also have less of a chance of receiving hand me downs as far as equipment. What do other blacks think regarding this?
I'm not opposed to people being in control of their own children's educations, however it will call for accepting tough answers to tough questions.

1. A college prep curriculum should be robust, and only a minority percentage of kids are capable of passing a sufficiently robust college prep curriculum.

2. The majority of kids (not just black kids--all kids) should be in an equally robust technical prep curriculum, but that idea is not PC.

3. We don't really have a way to enforce the necessary home discipline. It might take building boarding schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies