Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
We as black people need to embrace conservative VALUES. Not the candidates, don't vote for them, but conservative values can save us. I have said this for years.
"Conservative values" is a broad brush. What are you calling "conservative values?" Or even "social conservatism?" Black conservatism may overlap white conservatism, but it's sure not identical.

Although one can say black people are "socially conservative," that's only partially correct compared to what "social conservatism" means to white people, based on our experience with discriminatory laws.

By the same token, we have overlapping--but not identical--concepts of fiscal conservatism, again because of our different background.

So then when you talk about supporting candidates, the problem is accepting the bathwater along with the baby.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Do you think that black on white crime gets as attention in the media as white on black crime? Why or why not?
I think on local stories all outrageous crimes get played. However, I do think the media in general ignores "intra-racial crime" no matter if it is black on black or white on white.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Why do you think that is? Do you think that blacks are more vocal about their children and members being murdered? Do you think that our white counterparts would rather grieve quietly? Do blacks tend to advertise so to speak on social media a bit more (e.g. take the filming of Phalindro Castille or Eric Garner for example). Do you think black people are more willing to send pictures of their deceased ones to news media outlets?
On this, yes, I do believe that black people are more vocal about our family members/community members being killed. This, IMO is a cultural trait of ours as black Americans. We are much more likely to be social activist in this way, and this has been the case, like Ralph mentioned since Mamie Till and JET magazine posted the horrendous pictures of her son who was murdered in 1955.

I am not certain in regards to white families though. I think many of them may be ignored. Many black families are ignored as well.

On social media, black people are actually much heavier users of social media in regards to our population versus other demographics in the country (meaning a large percentage of black people in America frequently use more than one social media outlet). Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook are those that black Americans seem to use the most in you look into the statistics/metrics of black social media participants. So IMO it makes sense that more black people will take this cultural attribute of social activism and speaking out and broadcast it on social media sites.

In previous decades, black people only had newspapers and radio primarily to voice our opinions and concerns. Social media has really brought decades old issues for black Americans into the limelight. This is especially the case for police abuse/murder of black people and the slap on the wrist law enforcement gets for abusing/killing black Americans. This issue is actually one that has been continuously in black media outlets for decades; however, the wide public, and especially a majority of white Americans, seem to have ignored them and the issue until smart phones came around and black people started filming everything. It is hard to act like this is not a common occurrence (not necessarily the police killing but IMO police abuse of black people is commonplace, as I know many people, including myself, who have had consistent, horrible exchanges with specific officers) when you see stuff all the time on social media.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
We as black people need to embrace conservative VALUES. Not the candidates, don't vote for them, but conservative values can save us. I have said this for years.

White liberals are the devil though. Most problems in our community are funded and perpetuated by them. Welfare, h0mosexuality, single-parent households supplemented by government assistance, victimization, tighter government regulation, anti-entrepreneurship.

All of that BS is pushed on to us by liberals. All of which bury us deeper in the hole.
On the bold, I agree with a previous poster in that a majority of black Americans primarily hold conservative views in our personal lives.

I am an independent and consider myself to be rather conservative and especially so in regards to self reliance in one's personal life and fiscal responsibility of government.

However, I am not of the belief that black people need to be "saved."

Saved from what?

We are doing pretty good now a days and in regards to items you mentioned in your second paragraph, I feel those are your own unique issues. As a more conservative person, I do want to see more people in general off of welfare, especially younger people, but I also realize that there are some amongst us who cannot take care of themselves and they will probably always be on some sort of social welfare program. We need to push those who don't need it off of these programs. On homosexuality on that. IMO as a conservative, it is none of my business what people do in their bedrooms or their sex life. That is a personal thing (I will also note that I am not religious and so someone being homosexual is just not something that I feel anyone should be negatively judged about). On single parent households, I agree that more black families in particular need to try to stay together; however, I take this position primarily from fiscal/economic perspective of the family along with the socio-emotional needs of the children involved. Yet, with the children if the relationship between the parents is poor, I don't think them splitting is a bad thing as the socio-emotional needs of the children can be met with two loving parents who don't live together. IMO single parenting is primarily negative only from a fiscal/economic perspective for black women and children primarily as when both parents are separated and decent parents, the kids will still have their social and emotional developmental needs met. But poverty is something that can be decreased with more marriages and long term, committed cohabiting couples.

On vicitimization, I don't get that reference. On government regulation, I do feel some government regulations are needed depending on the topic. On "anti-entrepreneurship" I feel you are not "into" the black business community or involved much with black people considering black businesses have grown exponentially over the past 20 years and entrepreneurship is a huge focus for many black Americans, including myself.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, yes, I do believe that black people are more vocal about our family members/community members being killed. This, IMO is a cultural trait of ours as black Americans. We are much more likely to be social activist in this way, and this has been the case, like Ralph mentioned since Mamie Till and JET magazine posted the horrendous pictures of her son who was murdered in 1955.

I am not certain in regards to white families though. I think many of them may be ignored. Many black families are ignored as well.

On social media, black people are actually much heavier users of social media in regards to our population versus other demographics in the country (meaning a large percentage of black people in America frequently use more than one social media outlet). Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook are those that black Americans seem to use the most in you look into the statistics/metrics of black social media participants. So IMO it makes sense that more black people will take this cultural attribute of social activism and speaking out and broadcast it on social media sites.

In previous decades, black people only had newspapers and radio primarily to voice our opinions and concerns. Social media has really brought decades old issues for black Americans into the limelight. This is especially the case for police abuse/murder of black people and the slap on the wrist law enforcement gets for abusing/killing black Americans. This issue is actually one that has been continuously in black media outlets for decades; however, the wide public, and especially a majority of white Americans, seem to have ignored them and the issue until smart phones came around and black people started filming everything. It is hard to act like this is not a common occurrence (not necessarily the police killing but IMO police abuse of black people is commonplace, as I know many people, including myself, who have had consistent, horrible exchanges with specific officers) when you see stuff all the time on social media.
Also: Specific black social media areas like black Tumblr

Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Question New question

This thread is a racial discussion w/ a variety of topics, you are more than welcome to continue discussing the questions that have been asked so far but I am going to introduce another question for discussion:

What did you think about the hoopla this year regarding the Oscars? How do you feel about other award shows such as the Image Awards, BET Awards, etc?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
This thread is a racial discussion w/ a variety of topics, you are more than welcome to continue discussing the questions that have been asked so far but I am going to introduce another question for discussion:

What did you think about the hoopla this year regarding the Oscars? How do you feel about other award shows such as the Image Awards, BET Awards, etc?

The Oscar issue is not an "Oscar nomination" issue, it's a hiring practice issue and it's a promotion issue. People talk about actors, but what about directors, editors, sound designers, costume designers, and all the other Oscar categories? There is a huge promotion effort within the Academy that must be involved as well. Was, for instance, Don Cheadle's "Miles Ahead" given appropriate promotion for Oscar contention in any of the categories? Outside the Academy, we don't know.

The Motion Picture Academy is a private club with private membership. Frankly, that's an in-house problem for blacks who are members of the Academy to resolve, it's not a pubic policy problem.

I'm mixed on the black-oriented awards programs. I'm starting to think they should expand to be more general racial-diversity awards.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:39 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Oscar issue is not an "Oscar nomination" issue, it's a hiring practice issue and it's a promotion issue. People talk about actors, but what about directors, editors, sound designers, costume designers, and all the other Oscar categories? There is a huge promotion effort within the Academy that must be involved as well. Was, for instance, Don Cheadle's "Miles Ahead" given appropriate promotion for Oscar contention in any of the categories? Outside the Academy, we don't know.

The Motion Picture Academy is a private club with private membership. Frankly, that's an in-house problem for blacks who are members of the Academy to resolve, it's not a pubic policy problem.

I'm mixed on the black-oriented awards programs. I'm starting to think they should expand to be more general racial-diversity awards.

The image awards is really geared more towards POC in general not just blacks. But I feel that w/ the Oscars that Jada Pinkett-Smith overacted. When have the Oscars every really had many black actors? I feel like I can enjoy all of these award shows (Oscars, Academy, BET awards, MTV awards, Trump Awards, Black Girls Rock, Stellar Awards, Grammys, etc) w/o being a separatist. They all offer something interesting. Now I did not watch the Oscars this year as I have not been watching movies very much lately so I'd have no idea as to what was going on but if I know the movies that are being presented and I enjoy those movies, I can enjoy the awards show with or without diversity.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I think in general there are more important things to think about than the Oscars or award ceremonies in general. I can't remember the last time I watched the Image Awards and I've never actually been all that interested in the BET awards. Only thing I know about them is that they cause all the hotels in Atlanta to get booked when they were there lol. It was a huge hassle as one year I was involved in a conference and people waited until the last minute to book hotels and it was an issue that they didn't have any available awards due to the BET awards.

On the Oscars though, I do think that the hoopla surrounding it did put more pressure on the academy itself to take a look at its criteria/award processes. That said, I also didn't think that the movies people were complaining about not getting nominated/awards (Selma and Straight Outta Compton) were "Oscar worthy." They were okay but I can see how they would not win as they were just mediocre movies IMO.

Also, I feel the whole "black people" portion of the conversation derailed the Oscars/Academy Awards into a racial thing (and in America "racial" only means blacks complaining about racism to a lot of people) when it was initially regarding diversity including other non-black minority groups and women as a whole. I think there are a lot of movies made by women that are great films that don't get nominated. I also feel that many non-black minorities and especially Asian Americans are shut out of specific movies/characters based on racial biases/stereotypes. And I think both of these issues got lost in the whole "the black people are complaining again" mantras that were spouted by various people and on social media sites.

However, I agree with Ralph that this is an internal thing for the Academy. But I do feel that Jada Pinkett-Smith and others put a spotlight on the issue and that the Academy will consider/think about it based on that spotlight.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Also: Specific black social media areas like black Tumblr
I agree with this as well. Tumblr is still not as popular as the others I mentioned but there are specific areas like "black Tumblr" and "black Twitter" and even "black Reddit" that are very heavily used by black Americans.

FWIW, on this subject, I wanted to also mention to the OP that due to him/her being younger, I think that you and your peers are much more heavily invested in social media than me and older generations like Ralph.

Due to that, I do believe that too many younger black Americans buy into the idea that what goes on in the online sphere is reflective of a large amount of black people and the issues we care about. IMO many of these topics are by-products of media and so we are only discussing the things that media is telling us are issues and they are not issues for us in our real lives.

I think older Millenials, such as yourself are the last generation to grow up in a world that is not drastically dominated by technology and the internet and social media. I honestly have an old fogey fear of this lol. Because I have always been involved, since I was in college with volunteerism in the black community (the HBCU I went to had a "service" focus that I feel is important to continue). So I know based on me living in the ghetto and volunteering in our schools and with various organizations that many of the issues we have are not commonly addressed online or in the media (infant mortality rates of black babies come to mind and various other health issues). Too many of your younger generations as well get so overwhelmed from these media stories that are constantly shown and discussed online that they don't take a step back to see if this actually was an issue or if it was an issue that is being promoted by media to make it more of an issue than it really is (the cultural appropriation thing especially and the rise of these black nationalists - that mindset has always been around in black America but more of us were not bombarded with them. And I admit that maybe 5% of the stuff they say is relevant and when they focus on that it can be appealing but on the whole, they are eccentric and that mindset is not prevalent IMO with the vast majority of black Americans and our experiences in this country, media has been a huge contributor to them being seen as "legitimate" especially black online media rags). I feel these faux issues distract our action oriented young people from being involved in "real issues." Also that being on social media and being a SJW is seen as actually being an "activist" instead of actually taking some "action" and working on specific goals.

This is difficult for me to put in words but it does worry me - this fascination it seems with younger people in thinking that black people especially have all these "racial issues" or "problems" that we need to be saved from and how talking about it online will "save" us. IMO people primarily think this because media tells us to do so and media posts on social websites that black people pick up and make a big deal about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies