Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Wait, which gains where?

There was not a sudden shift in 1964 from "cruelly oppressed" to suddenly "all better now!"

Segregation was nearly serious and significant as ever well into the 80s. Real gains didn't begin until the latter 80s.

Someone mentioned the Asian example. Asians took three generations after severe oppression ended to gain control of their neighborhoods--it was the third generation that had gone out into white society and acquired sufficient social and economic capital to buy Chinatown.

If we follow the Asian example, it's right about time now for the third generation after the Civil Rights Act--the black Millennials-- to go back and buy those traditional communities.

But as I said before, there is always more than one thing happening. You can't ignore the general state of the economy, which is knocking the economic stuffing out of all Millennials. You can't ignore the continuing War on Drugs, which is stripping the ability to work and vote from a huge percentage of young black men every generation that it goes on. You can't ignore the white racists of the Boomer Generation who are rising up for one last death lunge.
This is very silly when many Asians are not even three generations in the US, and exactly which communities. Blacks did have control of their communities which were destroyed. Look at Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
This is very silly when many Asians are not even three generations in the US.
Obviously individual Asians are immigrating all the time, but we're talking about communities here, not individuals.

Quote:
Blacks did have control of their communities which were destroyed. Look at Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Go back to my post #853 where I have already alluded to that. In fact, I've mentioned the Tulsa riot at least two other times in this thread. You've got a lot to read before you can start saying anyone's position in this thread is "very silly."

My grandparents lived in Tulsa, and I've talked to people who were kids in Tulsa during that riot. You seem to miss the point that it was the fact of black people being segregated into enclaves that made them easy targets for riot.

And Tulsa was somewhat of an anomaly. Oklahoma at the end of the 1800s had a number of all-black towns created during the 1889 land rush. My own maternal great-great-grandparents took part in that land rush. My great-great-grandfather--a former slave--when with his wife and two sons from Mississippi to Oklahoma with the plans for a sawmill in their pocket. He staked out land with a stream and built the only sawmill in the county, and in a town that was all black.

When my great-grandfather and great-grand uncle enlisted in the Spanish-American war, the county constable looked up at them and said, "Oh, I know who you are. You're the miller boys." That was when they abandoned their slave name and took the name of their occupation: Miller.

There was enough black enterprise in eastern Oklahoma that in the late 1800s, blacks in the state were actually petitioning Congress to establish the eastern part of the state as the first black state of the Union.

That was the environment in which a number of black businessmen in Tulsa began doing the same thing that the JP Morgans and the Rockefellers were doing.

And that was what made Greenwood and Archer so dangerous to the white power structure.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
I wonder if that kind of community would be as vulnerable today if it were established?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Default NEW TOPIC: Self hatred

Do you feel that when it comes to self hatred and colorism that there is still a lot of healing that has not happened yet? The dark skin vs light skin still IMO is a problem in the black community today. Do you find that dark skinned black women suffer with this insecurity more than dark skinned black men? Why or why not? How do you about black women who perm their hair? How about those who wear wigs, weaves, and extensions?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:06 PM

Default New topic: HBCUs

Earlier in this thread, I asked if we as blacks should take over the administration in our communities. Now I want to know where you stand on HBCUs. Did you attend one? Do you think they have any significance in college education today? Why or why not?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
European culture is that delicate, huh?
I asked that same question? What would be stopping you from practicing your culture freely unless you have something that you feel like you have to hide?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am from Los Angeles.

One of the reasons that I tell my family's story is because I think that many of the younger black Americans think that black life was completely destitute for ALL of us pre-CRM and that simply was not true.

Some of my family migrated out of the South and went in ALL directions: west coast, Chicago, Detroit, DC, NYC but mostly to the Los Angeles (on both my mother's and father's side)

These family members who landed in Los Angeles opened stores, restaurants, dental practices, owned a gas station, taught in colleges and universities, worked in the aerospace industries, opened psychiatry practices, worked in the film industry, built law practice, had insurance brokerages and on and on and on. But these are people who started building businesses and owned land in the South. They were more limited but had the drive nonetheless. If you don't mind me asking, do your folks ever discuss what made you grandparents leave the south for LA? Also, are you a business owner yourself?

I have to say to myself if my great grandfather could accumulate and maintain 200+ acres of land in Jim Crow, lynch happy Mississippi then none of us have any excuses

How exactly did your great grandfather accumulate that? Was he a farmer?

Also, in this thread we discussed black platforms. How do you feel about these nonprofit organizations and platforms by blacks to raise awareness of their contributions?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
The question is this though. WHY did we have such a high rate of out of wedlock births, even then?
I've seen different statistics suggesting otherwise.

And as I keep saying, there is always more than one thing happening. For instance, in how many of those "out of wedlock" births prior to the 50s were really the result of common law marriages poorly or never recorded? Or birth certificates poorly or never recorded with a father entered?

What do the family bibles show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

And to your point about out of wedlock births and households headed by women...those are trends that began from slavery. The number of black males heading households increasing in the years following the Emancipation yet DECREASED after the CRM.
There is never just one thing happening. Several new things happened in the decade after the Civil Rights Act was passed, only one of which being a result of the CRA:

1. The Vietnam War
2. The War on Drugs (aka The War on Young Black Men)
3. Third Wave Feminism ("A woman needs a man the way a fish needs as bicycle")
4. Black women gaining broad eligibility to the 1939 Aid to Dependent Children Act (the only result of the CRA).
5. The end of American global economic domination.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
No, I do not feel discriminated against on a regular basis. In fact, I cannot recall a time where I have faced any type of discrimination in my 21 years of life. My two best friends--white sisters from rural Northeast PA--are the closest people I have in my life. Their family is basically my second family, and their mom basically begs either of them to marry me (which would never happen lol) because she would love to have me as a son-in-law. My last girlfriend was white, and I just went on a date with a girl who was originally from Russia yesterday. I attend a mostly white college in Philadelphia (I am typically the only black person in my finance classes), attend mostly white concerts (I'm a HUGE rock and indie fan), and explore areas that have high white populations, among other activities. To this day, nobody has discriminated against me.

Other than being a poor college student, I feel like I am relatively well-off. I am a college senior who will have his BBA in Finance next May, I budget-travel frequently (Boston was my "big trip" last year, and San Francisco or San Diego will hopefully be my big trip this year), I should have enough money saved to move from Philadelphia from the suburbs by August, and I have a very good circle of friends.

The only thing I like about them, is that they bring all "races" (race is a social construct created to keep people separate) together to laugh at their pathetic nature. I guess some conservatives would call me a SJW since I have partaken in street and bike protests against Donald Trump's policies, but I have legitimate gripes against said policies. BLM is the most hypocritical movement in modern history, IMO. How does burning neighborhood businesses in majority-black neighborhoods help out black Americans? The entire movement was started because of the death of Michael Brown, which was a justified shooting.

This is the reason why I have historically not had many black friends: it seems like those who deviate from the cultural norms are vilified. I grew up in West Philadelphia and Chester, PA throughout the late 90s and 2000s (I was born in 1995). I can't even begin to describe how much I was ridiculed because I came to school and wanted to learn, listened to alternative rock instead of rap, spoke properly, and wanted to pursue a legitimate career that didn't involve "ballin'" or "hustlin'". This even continued when I arrived my first college, which is located in the Lehigh Valley. I couldn't believe that other black Americans were still calling me a "coon", "sellout", "Uncle Tom", and "white". One of the contributing factors of why my first college girlfriend, who was black, eventually broke up with me was because she didn't feel like I was a "strong black man" due to the fact that I spoke out in opposition to BLM and supported the police.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D2RvIQwQE

I don't typically discuss them, as I believe that "race" is a social construct conceived by the government to keep people separate. As I have already mention, my best friends, women that I have dated, and families who adore me are white and don't see "race"; instead, they see an educated young man who is caring, has a big heart, and will be very successful in his career. I could care less about "race", and see it as something I don't even identify by unless joking.

I tend to be a rather observant person. I believe that we are all human beings but I do recognize wen I'm virtually the only black guy in the room.

FWIW, race/ethnicity has always been something that interested me, even as a kid.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I've seen different statistics suggesting otherwise.

And as I keep saying, there is always more than one thing happening. For instance, in how many of those "out of wedlock" births prior to the 50s were really the result of common law marriages poorly or never recorded? Or birth certificates poorly or never recorded with a father entered?

What do the family bibles show?

There is never just one thing happening. Several new things happened in the decade after the Civil Rights Act was passed, only one of which being a result of the CRA:

1. The Vietnam War
2. The War on Drugs (aka The War on Young Black Men)
3. Third Wave Feminism ("A woman needs a man the way a fish needs as bicycle")
4. Black women gaining broad eligibility to the 1939 Aid to Dependent Children Act (the only result of the CRA).
According to some sources the black man never could control his penis. In fact, I came across a black female youtuber by the name of msarchduchess who basically said black men will screw anything (followed by a video clip of a black man having sex with a tree). The comments that accompanies the video were disturbing to say the least. One comment stated that black men's lack of self control was the reason that white Jen were cutting black men's penises off (so that black men wouldn't rape white women).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies