Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM

444 posts, read 321,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I only believe that the government should be involved in necessary fields that explode in cost due to low productivity and constrained supply.

Part of the reason that healthcare is so expensive is that the AMA purposly tries to keep the supply of doctors well below the demand so that they can continue to charge insanely high prices at everyone elses expense. So if you didn't decide to become a doctor, lawyer or investment banker, good luck affording your out of pocket portion.

Any of you conservatives ever hear of Baumol's cost disease? It is what makes healthcare and college education so expensive. Basically, medicine and education are very labor intensive (i.e. a machine can't do it), so they are at the limit of their productivity, a teacher can only teach x number of students, a doctor can only treat/operate on x number of patients. So in Milton Friedman's idea of a free market, workers in these fields' wages would have peaked at least 30 years ago. BUT, here's the kicker, if those fields did have stagnant wages, while other wages went up, no one would want to be a doctor or teacher anymore, so their wages go up far beyond their actual productivity, so talent can be aquired to the fields, and the cost of paying those ever increasing salaries has to be born out in ever higher user costs for students/patients.

The only solution to Baumol's cost disease is to nationalize the industry that is affected, hence a lot of other first world nations have taken this step and nationalized health care and college
What first world nation has nationalized health care and/or college successfully? It hasn't worked well in Canada for health care.

The Left is often looking at the Scandinavian countries as a utopian model to follow. Look at the tax rate workers in Scandinavian countries pay for nationalized health care and free college. Somebody has to pay for it. Look at the well paid pro athletes in these countries, they often move to Monaco or another lower tax country for their residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:

People are too quick to blame the ACPPA(ACA) for these rising premiums. Premiums were rising faster than inflation yearly before Obama was ever even president. 10 years ago, I was a contractor, and had to buy my own health insurance. BlueCross kept raising premiums 12% every year, yet I wasn't making 12% more money each year. So my $140/month premium in 2004 went up to $155.40/month in 2005, then up to $172.49/month in 2006, then up to $191.47/month in 2007, finally was up to $212.54/month in 2008. I finally had to cancel my policy. And this was all BEFORE OBAMA EVER BECAME PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!
Your health insurance premiums went from $140 to $213 a month in four years. A 52% increase in four years.

My insurance premiums have gone from $500 to $1000 a month in three years. A 100% increase in three years. Plus, for my 100% increase in cost, I now have no drug coverage, a $6000 annual deductible, and I am losing my doctor.

What you fail to acknowledge are the exponential increases and truncation of patient choice of physician since the implementation of ACA.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
What first world nation has nationalized health care and/or college successfully? It hasn't worked well in Canada for health care.

The Left is often looking at the Scandinavian countries as a utopian model to follow. Look at the tax rate workers in Scandinavian countries pay for nationalized health care and free college. Somebody has to pay for it. Look at the well paid pro athletes in these countries, they often move to Monaco or another lower tax country for their residency.
Would you stop spreading false info about Canada's healthcare system? I already gave my example of dual citizens I knew for years who would drive to Canada ANY time they needed to see a doctor/dentist/optometrist. So it's working for them. And all you say about paying more taxes, if you aren't having to shell out for premiums or out of pocket copays and deductibles, it more than works out in the end

The Canadians who come here for healthcare, are usually part of Canada's top 5%, so they can afford to drop $30-$50k out of pocket, where 95% of people CAN'T!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Would you stop spreading false info about Canada's healthcare system? I already gave my example of dual citizens I knew for years who would drive to Canada ANY time they needed to see a doctor/dentist/optometrist. So it's working for them. And all you say about paying more taxes, if you aren't having to shell out for premiums or out of pocket copays and deductibles, it more than works out in the end

The Canadians who come here for healthcare, are usually part of Canada's top 5%, so they can afford to drop $30-$50k out of pocket, where 95% of people CAN'T!
I have many friends who have lived there all their life and have had different situations to experience the problems there. So your anecdotal dismissal is not valid.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
My solution:
1. Have two systems in the same time. One is single payer for all. Second is a private insurance with free market rates if one wants to go ahead of the line.
2. Open special visa quotes for doctors and RN from abroad. Every doctor (from the West, Russia and East Europe) will be entitled for a temporary visa that will become a green card after passing the exam.
3. Triple the premiums for obese people and smokers after 2 years warning.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Only to visit. I try to stay away from self-absorbed asses.
That's why they are called "Californicators" in many places, because they bring their attitudes with them to whatever state they move to and then try and make it just like where they left.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 AM

444 posts, read 321,887 times
Quote:

The false promise of single-payer healthcare | New York Post

Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
My solution:
1. Have two systems in the same time. One is single payer for all. Second is a private insurance with free market rates if one wants to go ahead of the line.
2. Open special visa quotes for doctors and RN from abroad. Every doctor (from the West, Russia and East Europe) will be entitled for a temporary visa that will become a green card after passing the exam.
3. Triple the premiums for obese people and smokers after 2 years warning.
How about we don't treat our people like they are peasants, we respect their liberty, don't infringe on it and allow them to choose as they will without our interference and money theft schemes?

I mean, this being a free country and all that supports liberty, this seems like the prudent path to take?

Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
How about we don't treat our people like they are peasants, we respect their liberty, don't infringe on it and allow them to choose as they will without our interference and money theft schemes?

I mean, this being a free country and all that supports liberty, this seems like the prudent path to take?
In your world, 95% of people wouldn't be able to afford to see a doctor or dentist, so we would have a bunch of toothless people with a much higher mortality rate, and avg life expectancy would probably drop to between 55 and 60

Old 10-28-2016, 08:12 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Well what do you expect when doctors are making $200-$300k/year and hospital and health insurance company executives are making $1mil plus/year, that their product will be cheap? This is why health care should be single payer!!!
That's part of the problem as is the number of tests run to avoid getting sued. I'm for having a basic health coverage for all and if you want more, you pay. the Unaffordable and I don't Care Act sux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies