Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age are you and what are your general political leanings?
18-34, "conservative" 15 11.19%
18-34, "moderate" 5 3.73%
18-34, "liberal" 19 14.18%
35 - 55, "conservative" 20 14.93%
35 - 55, "moderate" 17 12.69%
35 - 55, "liberal" 15 11.19%
56+, "conservative" 16 11.94%
56+, "moderate" 12 8.96%
56+, "liberal" 15 11.19%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:53 PM

4,658 posts, read 4,538,234 times

Advertisements

35-55 moderate. I used to consider myself a Republican, but either I'm getting more liberal, or everyone else is getting more conservative. Probably both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 11:20 PM

98 posts, read 145,224 times
I only gave liberal, conservative and moderate as choices because they're the main lines drawn in political discussion. (No offense to libertarians, but full libertarian policies are rarely discussed in a broad manner)) I also mainly asked this question because this board seems to be full of people I do not identify with or agree with and who I think are a little removed from actual happenings of people my age or younger. Just something I wanted to check out.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,688,888 times
I think a lot of seniors get more conservative as they get older, especially when they have Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid to shield them. They don't need to pay for health coverage, they can attack those "takers" even though technically they are the takers (they only pay about a third of the medical benefits they receive, we tax payers pay the rest for them). I'm proud to say my parents are as Democratic as ever and youthful as well.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:54 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,347,215 times
I am young and I am conservative

Old 11-05-2016, 04:36 PM

52,109 posts, read 52,554,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Millionaire7 View Post
I have a quick question which is how old are you and where do your lean politically? And I mean socially and fiscally specifically. I chose the age groups based on popular groupings typically used in polls and research data. (I kind of have a theory on the board that I want to test out a bit.) You can color your response with any info you'd like.

I'm a 29 yr old male and lean to the liberal side towards most things. I originally grew up in the Midwest and now reside on the East Coast. I tend to be liberal socially because I don't see the big deal with abortions, gay marriage, etc. and I do believe we're heading in a good direction in that manner. Fiscally I may tend to be a bit more liberal also, but I like to share, lol.
I'm extremely liberal on issues like gay marriage, abortion, prostitution, drugs, things of that order. I'm socially liberal and fiscally more on the conservative side. I believe in a certain amount of social safety nets and a moderate amount of what the far right calls the "nanny state" mentally. Meaning people need a hand up sometimes, not a hand out.

We've gone to far with social programs that frankly don't really help, people get dependent and I fear that were losing a bit of our grit and "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps" mentality that we used to have.

I mean Bernie Sanders is a perfect example of that, the free college and free this and free that. People need to have some skin in the game in order motivate people a bit more here. You make things free and its gets abused too much and not to mention who the hell is going to pay for it all. Once the rich pay their fair share as they say, do we keep hitting them up? Who's next, the middle class? I mean all that stuff costs a lot of money.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:38 PM

626 posts, read 380,249 times
young conservative

Old 11-05-2016, 04:47 PM

52,109 posts, read 52,554,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think a lot of seniors get more conservative as they get older, especially when they have Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid to shield them. They don't need to pay for health coverage, they can attack those "takers" even though technically they are the takers (they only pay about a third of the medical benefits they receive, we tax payers pay the rest for them). I'm proud to say my parents are as Democratic as ever and youthful as well.
Conservatism isn't really so much about what your saying here it encompasses a lot more. Older people are a lot more "stricter" about social norms and how people conduct themselves in terms of manners, tending to all of the personal repsonsiblites and things of that order.

Those sorta traits get lumped in and associated more with conservatism. Prudence, fiscally, morally and ethically. At least in theory so I'm told. Not sure how many more stories I can take of hearing about stogy old conservative type guys picking up gay men in bathroom stalls....

Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 AM

15,892 posts, read 6,976,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm extremely liberal on issues like gay marriage, abortion, prostitution, drugs, things of that order. I'm socially liberal and fiscally more on the conservative side. I believe in a certain amount of social safety nets and a moderate amount of what the far right calls the "nanny state" mentally. Meaning people need a hand up sometimes, not a hand out.

We've gone to far with social programs that frankly don't really help, people get dependent and I fear that were losing a bit of our grit and "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps" mentality that we used to have.

I mean Bernie Sanders is a perfect example of that, the free college and free this and free that. People need to have some skin in the game in order motivate people a bit more here. You make things free and its gets abused too much and not to mention who the hell is going to pay for it all. Once the rich pay their fair share as they say, do we keep hitting them up? Who's next, the middle class? I mean all that stuff costs a lot of money.
Clinton brought stricter rules to welfare, and it punished single mothers and threw more people into poverty.
I would like to see some real data about abuse before calling those who need help as freeloaders or cheats.
There are people who work 2 jobs and still do not have enough to feed their family. Children in America, the richest country in the world, go to bed hungry. While corporations and banks rob the govt, do not pay taxes, and nobody goes to jail.
Don't pile on the poor.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:12 AM

15,892 posts, read 6,976,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Millionaire7 View Post
I only gave liberal, conservative and moderate as choices because they're the main lines drawn in political discussion. (No offense to libertarians, but full libertarian policies are rarely discussed in a broad manner)) I also mainly asked this question because this board seems to be full of people I do not identify with or agree with and who I think are a little removed from actual happenings of people my age or younger. Just something I wanted to check out.
do you have an analysis?
it seems more conservative among the CD. does that set the tone of dialogue on political forums?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,125,164 times
18-35, I guess moderate?

Social: libertarian
Drugs: libertarian
Law and order (excluding victimless crimes): conservative
Taxes: conservative
Foreign policy: libertarian (non-interventionist)
Trade: protectionist (not to an extreme extent, but more than we are now)
Immigration: conservative
Gun rights and first amendment rights: conservative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies