Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:07 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times

Advertisements

Interesting name. Calfresh sounds like a farmer's market produce subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Can someone please explain to me what is so wrong about handing out basic nutritional foods instead of allowing a free for all in the fast food restaurants? Model it like the WIC program. The ones who truly need the help will be grateful and the ones who are milking the system will find a way to get their junk food on their own dime.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
This article is from 2010!!!!

That said, did any of you actually read the article?

Quote:

In theory, the EBT cards can only be used for “Any food for human consumption except hot food.” According to the EBT debit card agency, EBT cards and food stamps are accepted at many different food venues

However, pet food, alcohol and “any hot food meant for immediate consumption” (fast food), as well as non-food items such as soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, cigarettes, vitamins and medicines are not allowed for EBT purchase.
This true, since an EBT card is used electronically you are unable to purchase prohibited items. If you purchase chicken for $10 and soap for $5 giving you a $15 bill, your EBT card will only cover the $10 of chicken.

Quote:
The restaurant meals program was launched to allow homeless, disabled and elderly households to purchase hot food. It is currently operating in Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco, Tuolumne and Santa Clara Counties.

The reason for the restaurant program, according to Gant, is that “Los Angeles County [like the other counties] has a large population of homeless, disabled and elderly food stamp households that are unable to prepare their own meals or store food.”
It's not available to just anyone. But everyone loves to bash the poor while ignoring facts because hey they're just inconvenient so who cares about them.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hunger is a great motivator.
True. It's amazing how many people don't realize that the majority of the poor are people who are either unmotivated, or have a history of bad decision making. Many of them get through life doing the bare minimum. And when there's welfare, the bare minimum is nothing.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Food Stamps Welcomed At Restaurants | CalWatchdog.com

The decided to change the name to CalFresh to negative stigma and begin allowing fast-food

I guess in California buying food at the grocery store is just not good enough.

Los Angeles and San Francisco also have a wide variety of restaurants that allow EBT.

I guess the state of California prefers people spend $10 on a 3/4 pound chesseburger and mega large french fry and onion ring combo as opposed to $10 of fresh produce at all the super cheap grocery stores they have scattered throughout the area.

So much super-cheap produce in California and places that have bulk-selection items that $10 of fast food could buy a basket of produce.

A California family of a husband and wife and 3 kids can get up to $9,200 a year in CalFresh to buy fast food if they want.
Terrible policy which will only contribute to obesity and more government spending. We need to make unhealthy more expensive, not cheaper.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Terrible policy which will only contribute to obesity and more government spending. We need to make unhealthy more expensive, not cheaper.
I don't agree. We need to make unhealthy foods unattainable with federal money. If you want to eat those foods, you shouldn't be able to purchase them with food stamps.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Way to emulate third world countries!

Intelligent people understand the multifaceted issues when it comes to eradicating poverty and the working poor. Go right ahead and end social safety net programs and see how that goes. JFC
The only multifaceted issue in my opinion is they can't stop procreating when poor.

I am all for safety-net programs for the elderly and physically disabled who can not work. There is a huge difference between a senior citizen in a subsidized apartment getting a few hundred dollars a month in subsidy and the family who lives in the coast getting $30,000 in housing allowances for luxury homes.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datas...ta_summary.odn

They get a baby bonus as a gift from the taxpayers and they know it. That is why close to 20 million will be born on the Medicaid rolls over the next decade. The parents know that the government will raise the family much better then if they worked hard and had to pay for their own children.

A large family who has multiple children gets 82,000 dollars more if they are on section 8 then a senior or disabled senior citizen would.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datas...ta_summary.odn

A husband, wife and 3 kids can get up to $34,000 more over course of 5 years on food stamps then a single, senior would on social security.

That is whopping $116,000 more that a family gets from the US taxpayer just for having children when poor over an older pensioner or a severely physically disabled person would get.

That isn't even starting to consider the costs of health care, education and utility assistance.

It is also very common for a single mother and single father to live together with a large family and one uses a different address and they double up their earned income tax credit so that way they get up to $12,000 in free taxpayer money.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...credit-amounts

I have worked as a cashier in grocery stores and seen what these families on EBT buy as opposed to what large families with multiple children buy.

It was very, very common for a parent to come into the store with a significant other who just got out of jail or prison and they would buy steaks and lobster to keep the significant other while there was ramen and 99cent boxes of cereal for the little ones.

Usually the steak and lobster is from the parents using the additional allowances to buy food for themselves rather then their children. This wasn't always the case but about half of the EBT I cashiered seemed to be like that.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 10-29-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Food Stamps Welcomed At Restaurants | CalWatchdog.com

The decided to change the name to CalFresh to avoid negative stigma and begin allowing fast-food

I guess in California buying food at the grocery store is just not good enough.

Los Angeles and San Francisco also have a wide variety of restaurants that allow EBT.

I guess the state of California prefers people spend $10 on a 3/4 pound chesseburger and mega large french fry and onion ring combo as opposed to $10 of fresh produce at all the super cheap grocery stores they have scattered throughout the area.

So much super-cheap produce in California and places that have bulk-selection items that $10 of fast food could buy a basket of produce.

A California family of a husband and wife and 3 kids can get up to $9,200 a year in CalFresh to buy fast food if they want.
I guess you've never lived in a food desert. In many poor areas, there are few grocery stores, but many fast food establishments.

http://californiawatch.org/dailyrepo...-deserts-10122

Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I don't agree. We need to make unhealthy foods unattainable with federal money. If you want to eat those foods, you shouldn't be able to purchase them with food stamps.
I'd go further and make those unhealthy foods expensive for everyone. Makes no sense to encourage obesity and give them medicaid/medicare.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:29 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
I was at Costco and in front of me there was a woman . She had cases of soda and every possible junk food in her cart ! All salty snacks and junk! It totaled over 300 then she paid with her ebt card . Can someone please explain to me ? If you on food stamps , how the he'll do you afford a Costco membership ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies