Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Interesting... did you read his dissent in Gonzalez v. Raich?
I did. Not one of his worst. I'd have agreed with him that medical users were a severable class. Experience under the state law had made that rather abundantly clear, I thought. But I would have preferred O'Connor's tack of protecting state sovereignty and service in experimentation in the absence of a prima facie federal interest, of which, I certainly didn't see one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
Funny to see the first couple of posts praising him and the rest bashing him

Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Thomas: no questions in 2 years - Yahoo! News (broken link)

//
"One thing I've demonstrated often in 16 years is you can do this job without asking a single question," he [Thomas] told an adoring crowd at the Federalist Society, a conservative legal group.
//
So?

Ever see the legal briefs they get on these cases? There's really no need to ask questions. I seriously doubt any minds are changed by the oral arguments.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Clarence Thomas is nothing more than a token black Supreme Court Justice. Completely unqualified, barely a year on the bench. Appointed only because of the color of his skin as Bush I attempted to curry favor with the black community.
It is not a requirement even to be a lawyer to sit on the USSC. Justice Thomas is a thoughtful and intelligent Justice. His single flaw is that his approach to the law is corrupt (in my view) and he therefore gets the majority of his decisions wrong...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If a Supreme Court judge, such as Thomas never asks questions on a case, it makes me wonder if his mind was already made up before hearing the case presented.
This is entirely a matter of temperament. As the Justice himself points out, by the time the other eight get done, there aren't any questions left to ask anyway...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Typcial to see the liberal loonies out an about at night.

Not one of you could walk in his shoes, fact is, all of you loonies together couldnt fill his shoes.
No doubt, you must feel that Anita Hill was a liar when she was talking before Congress about Thomas and a long dong silver.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Typcial to see the liberal loonies out an about at night. Not one of you could walk in his shoes, fact is, all of you loonies together couldnt fill his shoes.
His shoes aren't much of an issue. His jurisprudence is...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
He votes almost exclusively with Scalia. In fact, without being overly harsh, that's really all he is, a black Antonio Scalia. The Republicans knew what they were getting when Bush I nominated him, a yes man.
They are both of a conservative view. Souter and Ginsburg are both of a liberal view. How often do they vote together?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
So?

Ever see the legal briefs they get on these cases? There's really no need to ask questions. I seriously doubt any minds are changed by the oral arguments.
Briefs are presented ahead of time, all angles are already presented... justices already discuss the case and form sides before the case is heard. It's all just an opportunity to hear onesself speak, which is why Thomas doesn't care to participate often.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It is not a requirement even to be a lawyer to sit on the USSC. Justice Thomas is a thoughtful and intelligent Justice. His single flaw is that his approach to the law is corrupt (in my view) and he therefore gets the majority of his decisions wrong...
And in my view he is one of the few that realize that the justices rely on precedent way too often and judge cases based upon precedent upon precedent where it distorts the value of the original intent. He is far from perfect, but his vocal opposition to using stare decisis as a crutch wins him major points in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies