Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excuse me? NAFTA and all the economic chaos that has followed was forged under Clinton, not Bush.

For all your desire to put this travesty w/ the terrible balance of trade problem we have w/ China on the Bush administration . . . it is clearly on the backs (and should be on the consciences) of the CLINTON administration.

You wanna know why your job got exported? You wanna know why your credit card's call service center got outsourced? Ask Bill Clinton. Or, no, wait. Excuse moi! Ask his wife . . .
By the way, NAFTA has nothing to do with trade and China. You are correct that the agreement was established under Clinton, but it was done with a lot of leadership and urging from Senator Roth (Republican) from Delaware.

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

China's Possible Response to Mexico'’s NAFTA Challenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,826 times
Quote:
You are so right. This is a public health and safety issue. We should all be screaming b/c of these Chinese goods. I don't trust their quality and safety standards! But here they are . . . we are growing the Chinese economy every time we buy this stuff, but as you said . . . we don't always know . . . if you see Made in China stamped on it - you can avoid it - but if it is a drug, how do you know?

Very troubling.
Well I have found that Walmart did have groceries from China, and the drugs
I don't know. I do know that they have a program for generic drugs for $4.00
now. It might be prudent to ask a pharmacist I guess. You are right though it is very troubling.
Sassy

Old 02-25-2008, 09:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
pghquest..how is that false information ? Are you referring to problems with our imports from China ? If so just do a google on the pet food scare last year or the cough syrup poisoning and you'll get plenty of information.

Here's something to scare the heck out of you..and the FDA does not check ALL imports..this is the report for January 2008 of FDA refusals just for China:
OASIS REFUSALS China (http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/1/ora_oasis_c_cn.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePH View Post
I Love Liberals!!!! Laugh a minute
You can always tell how educated someone is by watching them voice their uneducated opinions... Its not funny.. its almost sad..

Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
pghquest..how is that false information ? Are you referring to problems with our imports from China ? If so just do a google on the pet food scare last year or the cough syrup poisoning and you'll get plenty of information.

Here's something to scare the heck out of you..and the FDA does not check ALL imports..this is the report for January 2008 of FDA refusals just for China:
OASIS REFUSALS China (http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/1/ora_oasis_c_cn.html - broken link)
The FDA has NEVER checked ALL imports, neither did the CPSC. To state that they did, and imply that they dont now because of "Republicans", or even to state that this is something new, is just ignorance.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

pghquest..I'm not in agreement with the OP that this is the Republican's fault.
Our government (all parties) made these deals.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:

I think he was referring more to the use of inflammatory language - "Republicans killing" etc.

I think we all agree about the crummy crap we are getting from China. You added the pet food recall - another totally unacceptable situation the Chinese dumped on us.

And I am right there w/ you . . . the safety standards are just not there . . . and imported goods slip right through the system, due to sheer volume.

Thank WalMart for that. They are one of the largest importers of Chinese merchandise, if not the largest.

Scary stuff.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
By the way, NAFTA has nothing to do with trade and China. You are correct that the agreement was established under Clinton, but it was done with a lot of leadership and urging from Senator Roth (Republican) from Delaware.

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

China's Possible Response to Mexico'’s NAFTA Challenge
Thank you for clarifying that and also the links you posted. I ran everything together w/ the trade debacle.

We could also add CAFTA to this discussion, as I do wonder how that is going to impact things - plus that mysterious highway from TX to Canada - what are they referring to it as? Super highway?

Ugggghhh. I know I sound like an isolationist.

Thank you again.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
pghquest..I'm not in agreement with the OP that this is the Republican's fault.
Our government (all parties) made these deals.
Thats good to hear.. I'm actually ashamed that we've given this troll posting this much time. More shocked that the forum moderators have not modified the title of this thread, so the issue can be debated without accusing people of murder...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that and also the links you posted. I ran everything together w/ the trade debacle.

We could also add CAFTA to this discussion, as I do wonder how that is going to impact things - plus that mysterious highway from TX to Canada - what are they referring to it as? Super highway?

Ugggghhh. I know I sound like an isolationist.

Thank you again.
Here's a link that explains that mysterious Highway
NASCO's Inland Ports Network (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies