Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times

Advertisements

I heard it on the radio and I believe it. Clark Howard is NOT a wierd talk show host with an agenda. He is usually not political at all.

clarkhoward.com: Clarchives clarkhoward - Clark Howard's Show Notes Clark's tests (http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/12/114/269/ - broken link)

Feb 25, 2008 -- Be sure your child's jewelry and trinkets are lead-free
As a parent, Clark is sick over the fact that the Consumer Product Safety Commission is not doing its job of ensuring that toys are made and sold in a safe manner. CPSC honcho Nancy Nord instead sees her job as protecting manufacturers who have unsafe products on the market. Congress recently gave her the authority to ban lead-filled toys and children's trinkets. But she refused to do so and continues to allow the toys to be sold.... (click on link to read the whole truth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Hey..everything is OK now..remember the CEO of Mattel apologized to China for blaming them for lead filled toys ?

Mattel apologizes to China for toy recalls - USATODAY.com

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I heard it on the radio and I believe it. Clark Howard is NOT a wierd talk show host with an agenda. He is usually not political at all.

clarkhoward.com: Clarchives clarkhoward - Clark Howard's Show Notes Clark's tests (http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/12/114/269/ - broken link)

Feb 25, 2008 -- Be sure your child's jewelry and trinkets are lead-free
As a parent, Clark is sick over the fact that the Consumer Product Safety Commission is not doing its job of ensuring that toys are made and sold in a safe manner. CPSC honcho Nancy Nord instead sees her job as protecting manufacturers who have unsafe products on the market. Congress recently gave her the authority to ban lead-filled toys and children's trinkets. But she refused to do so and continues to allow the toys to be sold.... (click on link to read the whole truth)
I read the whole story, failed to see "republican" in there once.. not even once.. MOD CUT you talking about and where the heck do you get a title like "Republican killing"?

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-25-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: hidden language

Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..everything is OK now..remember the CEO of Mattel apologized to China for blaming them for lead filled toys ?

Mattel apologizes to China for toy recalls - USATODAY.com
Yes, isn't that special Maybe Mattel would do something if consumers quit buying their products. Why are we importing anything from China? I guess I can answer my own question, it is cheaper for Mattell

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I read the whole story, failed to see "republican" in there once.. not even once.. MOD CUT you talking about and where the heck do you get a title like "Republican killing"?
If Congress gave her the authority to ban lead filled toys and trinkets, but she hasn't done so, and is an appointee of the administration...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
If Congress gave her the authority to ban lead filled toys and trinkets, but she hasn't done so, and is an appointee of the administration...
Just checked. She is an appointee of this administration. But good grief - talk about inflammatory - "republican killing" - wow.

I suspect there is a lot more to this story. And may I add . . . it wasn't this administration that signed all the treaties that made it possible for the Chinese to flood our market w/ these unsafe toys and jewelry, etc. So why not put the responsibility on 1. toy companies 2. retailers who buy these things for pennies and sell them for huge profits 3. Chinese who will do anything to make $1

Last edited by brokensky; 02-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: incorrect info

Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just checked. She is an appointee of this administration. But good grief - talk about inflammatory - "republican killing" - wow.

I suspect there is a lot more to this story. And may I add . . . it wasn't this administration that signed all the treaties that made it possible for the Chinese to flood our market w/ these unsafe toys and jewelry, etc. So why not put the responsibility on 1. toy companies 2. retailers who buy these things for pennies and sell them for huge profits 3. Chinese who will do anything to make $1
Best post yet...

Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times
Yes, a special thanks to Elaine Chao...Our Hero!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Yes, a special thanks to Elaine Chao...Our Hero!
Excuse me? NAFTA and all the economic chaos that has followed was forged under Clinton, not Bush.

For all your desire to put this travesty w/ the terrible balance of trade problem we have w/ China on the Bush administration . . . it is clearly on the backs (and should be on the consciences) of the CLINTON administration.

You wanna know why your job got exported? You wanna know why your credit card's call service center got outsourced? Ask Bill Clinton. Or, no, wait. Excuse moi! Ask his wife . . .

Old 02-25-2008, 07:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,385 times
It is not just toy's we are getting from China, we are also getting food products and even toothpaste. When I buy my groceries I now look to see where they are coming from.
sassy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies