Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
In the world. What is your point?
The statement is one of those that sound very solid but are not. The number varies by a factor of two depending on how you define it and, as a percentage, has decreased. So the statement is really that world population has increased while slavery has decreased but the absolute number has grown.

It should of course be stamped out but that likely requires the eradication of certain sects who support the practice. So we likely have to go to strong violence against various groups to end the practice. Do we need to kill more people than we rescue? Is that a net gain?

I would hope that we can eliminate the practice by strong but humane actions...primarily educational. Convince people that it is evil. Perhaps in at least some places we can buy the practice out. But the practice is deeply ingrained on some societies and is unlikely to vanish in the lifetime of those now living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 06:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
(THE COLLEGE FIX) — For 11 years, Professor Duke Pesta gave quizzes to his students at the beginning of the school year to test their knowledge on basic facts about American history and Western culture.

The most surprising result from his 11-year experiment? Students’ overwhelming belief that slavery began in the United States and was almost exclusively an American phenomenon, he said.
I meet people all the time online and IRL who believe slavery was invented in the United States. They don't believe it's ever existed anywhere else in history. They don't believe that it still goes in today in many countries, all over the world.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:43 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The statement is one of those that sound very solid but are not. The number varies by a factor of two depending on how you define it and, as a percentage, has decreased. So the statement is really that world population has increased while slavery has decreased but the absolute number has grown.

It should of course be stamped out but that likely requires the eradication of certain sects who support the practice. So we likely have to go to strong violence against various groups to end the practice. Do we need to kill more people than we rescue? Is that a net gain?

I would hope that we can eliminate the practice by strong but humane actions...primarily educational. Convince people that it is evil. Perhaps in at least some places we can buy the practice out. But the practice is deeply ingrained on some societies and is unlikely to vanish in the lifetime of those now living.
I stated a fact.
There are more slaves today than at any point in history.
Please attempt to refute this fact so we can continue to laugh at you.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I stated a fact.
There are more slaves today than at any point in history.
Please attempt to refute this fact so we can continue to laugh at you.
Sorry...I simply point out the "fact" is irrelevant. It simply demonstrates world population has increased. The probability that any randomly picked person will be enslaved has gone down.

And the truth is that slavery is not about to go away as it is societally acceptable in some cultures.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We tend to discuss it as a very American issue due to the civil war. Kinda sad that the teachers dont cover it in a more general fashion.
Its not about slavery only. The tendency in the US is to see America as the center of the world with little regard to the rest of the world. (i.e. when 2 baseball teams play, we call it "the world series championship"). There aren't many countries with population so ignorant about other people and cultures.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:17 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Its not about slavery only. The tendency in the US is to see America as the center of the world with little regard to the rest of the world. (i.e. when 2 baseball teams play, we call it "the world series championship"). There aren't many countries with population so ignorant about other people and cultures.
Yeah, your point???

Old 11-05-2016, 08:19 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
America is the center of the world in many ways, so that view is in line with reality.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The most surprising result from his 11-year experiment? Students’ overwhelming belief that slavery began in the United States and was almost exclusively an American phenomenon, he said.

"Their entire education about slavery was confined to America.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
But I am unable to find a big problem. Those coming out of High School are only barely educated. And if you get to the meat those out of college have a long way to go. But is that wrong in some way?
It shows the failures of the Liberal-based education system.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:14 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Look - when I said "had more" I meant more imports of slaves. They imported far more into the other colonies than the US. Any reproducing was a different thing than bringing people straight from Africa. That's out of the control of the colonists, while they entirely could control how many they imported.

Anyway, YOU were wrong when you said that the US was a "unique situation." It wasn't. Haiti was essentially a country of slaves, like I said they outnumbered the French 10 to 1. They were able to overtake the colonists and gain independence. The entire Atlantic Slave Trade was "unique" in that it was a systematic trading system of goods and people that lasted for centuries. Americans need to know that while slavery was a dark part of our history, we were NOT the only ones to have it, we didn't have the most slaves coming from Africa, and we didn't have the most brutal system. Slavery was not the worst in the US and we certainly did not invent it.
Correct. Fewer than 400,000 people were imported from Africa into the United States to be sold as slaves. At the time of the Civil War, there were about 4 million enslaved people. Brutality is subjective. It was not good to be a slave no matter what, I'm pretty sure.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It shows the failures of the Liberal-based education system.
So if we go to some RW system they all come out of high school with Phd level educations?

Please tell usa how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies