Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 04:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times

Advertisements

More than 1 in 4 U.S. teachers are absent more than 10 days of school a year - Hartford Courant

Teacher absenteeism related to failing school infrastructure

I guess teachers are supposedly missing 10 or more days an instructional year because of health hazards due to failing infrastructure.

Usually, school years run from 175 to 180 days yearly. So that is basically chronically absent defined as 6% or more of days missed.

250 days is what the typical worker works, so in the private sector this would be like a private sector worker missing 3 weeks of work a year.

I guess according to the article being a teacher wears down on the immune system.

More then half of Las Vegas school teachers are chronically absent

Students, parents fed up as Beatty Elementary class sizes top 40 students - Story

Supposedly, some Las Vegas schools have as many as 43 kids crowded into a classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
No wonder education is so expensive, you have to pay teachers and their temps...

Old 11-02-2016, 05:38 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Maybe parents and the politically conservative as well, ought stop expecting low paid or mid-ranged paid teachers to be part-time parents, psychologists, doctors, police, and savior a of their (other people's) children.

Teachers are hired to teach, not solve all the emotional and psychological problems of kids, while their parents decline fulfilling those roles in their own children's lives.

Furthermore, both liberals and conservatives like to get on their holier than thou podiums, and castigate the primary and secondary education systems over not employing all super top notch, takented teacher (for unimpressive pay at that, with student loans most teachers have to pay back, whilst raising their own families). I see no reason to expect all teachers to be extraordinary in their ability to affect students as teachers. That is not to say all teachers shouldn't be competent. But you can be competent at shooting a rifle or pistol in the military without being extraordinarily good at it.

It is rare in any profession to be near supernatural. But people enjoy, get their sadistic jollies off, on berating teachers as being losers if they are not spectacular at what they do. I'm sure that causes streets and compromises the immune system of teachers too. Or at least some of them emotionally banged up or psychologically wrecked over constant worry if "they are any good" as teachers.

I don't think teaching is easy. I've never taught a class in my life. I imagine--for me--it would be very hard. Possibly less difficult if I were teaching history and given reign to teach as I want because I think I have greater ability, especially in storytelling, in that area. But other than I'm not sure I teaching qualities in me.

I do think some teachers are pretty poor at what they do--even though they may still have a basic competence in what they are teaching--but that is part of life, and a lesson for the student in how to still learn in less than optimal class environments. I've gone to voluntary evening classes prepping university students for exams, where the grad student or teacher is from some foreign country with an accent so pronounced, I can't understand a thing they are saying throughout the whole lecture.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
As for missing a lot of days, teachers are often exposed to everything under the sun. Especially younger grades, where kids do lovely things like puke on you, wipe their noses on you (and everything else), put everything in their mouths, and are just generally kind of gross. Teachers in my area are given a lot of sick days, most don't utilize even close to all of them but last year pneumonia worked its way through my daughters school. Some teachers were out for considerable amounts of time but they were horrifically sick. You also have to consider how contagious the illness is, schools have all sorts of kids including those who could get seriously ill from someone else's common cold.

I also wonder if things like maternity leave were factored into this. It tends to be a female dominated industry and this year there are 4 pregnant teachers in my daughters school of 18 female teachers.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Maybe parents and the politically conservative as well, ought stop expecting low paid or mid-ranged paid teachers to be part-time parents, psychologists, doctors, police, and savior a of their (other people's) children.

Teachers are hired to teach, not solve all the emotional and psychological problems of kids, while their parents decline fulfilling those roles in their own children's lives.

Furthermore, both liberals and conservatives like to get on their holier than thou podiums, and castigate the primary and secondary education systems over not employing all super top notch, takented teacher (for unimpressive pay at that, with student loans most teachers have to pay back, whilst raising their own families). I see no reason to expect all teachers to be extraordinary in their ability to affect students as teachers. That is not to say all teachers shouldn't be competent. But you can be competent at shooting a rifle or pistol in the military without being extraordinarily good at it.

It is rare in any profession to be near supernatural. But people enjoy, get their sadistic jollies off, on berating teachers as being losers if they are not spectacular at what they do. I'm sure that causes streets and compromises the immune system of teachers too. Or at least some of them emotionally banged up or psychologically wrecked over constant worry if "they are any good" as teachers.

I don't think teaching is easy. I've never taught a class in my life. I imagine--for me--it would be very hard. Possibly less difficult if I were teaching history and given reign to teach as I want because I think I have greater ability, especially in storytelling, in that area. But other than I'm not sure I teaching qualities in me.

I do think some teachers are pretty poor at what they do--even though they may still have a basic competence in what they are teaching--but that is part of life, and a lesson for the student in how to still learn in less than optimal class environments. I've gone to voluntary evening classes prepping university students for exams, where the grad student or teacher is from some foreign country with an accent so pronounced, I can't understand a thing they are saying throughout the whole lecture.
Great post. I am not a teacher but thought it was an interesting article and thanks for the well-thought out response.

That is right, it must emotionally take a toll of them to see how many children grow up in such awful living conditions these days.

With the staggering amount of today's children living in terrible living conditions, how can it not take a toll on a teachers emotional and physical health.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

I also wonder if things like maternity leave were factored into this. It tends to be a female dominated industry and this year there are 4 pregnant teachers in my daughters school of 18 female teachers.
This, exactly. Having just one or two teachers pregnant and taking maternity leave can seriously skew the numbers. Especially if the teacher takes more than the bare minimum of 6-8 weeks.

Additionally, imagine if you have a teacher or two going through cancer treatments or other serious illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies