Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:29 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The people for sure, but not all of them. I mean, not everyone who voted for Trump dons white hoods and burns crosses.

The POTUS does not have as much power as many seem to think, that's why we have checks and balances and a three-tiered system at the Federal level (this is also why more people are more concerned with taking control over the House or Senate more-so than which party candidate is elected POTUS).

A lot of what Trump has claimed he would is simply not possible. For one, there is already a wall between U.S./Mexico, and that some on the Mexican side are very good at digging tunnels. Even if he beefs up the wall, how is he going to get Mexico to pay for it? Send them the bill? Get out of here with that nonsense. Do you really think he is going to kick out all Muslims? Once again, not possible, and don't forget that some of his largest business deals/partners are in the Middle East.

It's a wait and see game here.
Maybe they don't all burn crosses, but the demographics are source of some concern either way...

Yes of course you are right about most of the rest, except that even though there are "checks and balances," they don't refer to the position as the most powerful in the world without reason. This is a responsibility that can do either great good or great harm, as the record shows. It isn't the nonsense about the wall or shipping back Muslims that concerns me. It is that we are now being lead by a man who made this nonsense his campaign for POTUS, and won! Can't even guess what he may do that isn't nonsense. I'm not sure ANYONE knows...

Generally speaking, "the Devil we know is better than the one we don't." Not sure there has ever been a time when that expression has been more fitting!

Old 11-09-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Trump is not afraid of the PC police. PC police declared many "sins" for everyone with the punishment of "racist calling". The biggest sin they see is someone not abiding the PC police AT ALL, that's why they hate him. Other republicans try to appeal to the PC police in fear of prosecution-by-SJWs, so they get a barely pass mark, while Trump is not even trying that. They believe good people abide PC while evil people reject PC. With this logic the most PC-rejecting person gets the most hatred from the tolerant lib crowd.
Right, why should people be less insulting of other people? Who says racism is a bad thing? What does civility get us when people who are rude and loud get all the attention? Why should anyone care about women's rights, minority and religious rights? Not our fault they weren't born Christian white males!

Down with the "PC police!" Hurray for an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization, AKA fascism.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 AM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
....afraid of the popular sentiment that has allowed his rise and what it means for our nation's future. I'll be quite honest here: I cannot sleep, because my mind is racing with what is facing us in the aftermath of the election. I see an breakdown of civility and tolerance that feels very threatening. I honestly think the country has lost its ever-loving mind, and I'm not sure we can ever truly recover.
I believe many today share your sentiments.

We seem to live in a country with two realities...those who watch only FOX news and those that only watch CNN. Kind of like the difference of living in North Korea vs South Korea. The irony is here in America we have the freedom to listen to both sides yet some choose not to. Compromise has become a dirty word rather than an opportunity to unite.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Liberals are xenophobes and distrust anyone not like them
You do realize that this kind of partisan generalization makes YOU the very thing you just called them?

This partisan politics is alien to me as someone who does not live in the US. I observe this way you guys simply just hate and generalize the other side and I can not map it onto my world or experience in any way.

I guess as what many people call an atheist I see SOME of that kind of animosity between the atheist and theist camps, with insulting and dehumanizing generalizations made by some people on both sides. But even there it does not reach the level of ire and hatred I see in american politics.

My own experience of Americans, from both camps, is that they all essentially want the same things, have the same goals, and have their hearts in the same place. They just differ on the details of HOW to achieve them.

But when I see a sentence like yours..... I just can not map it on to reality in any way. Especially when both sides are saying the EXACT same things about the the other sides. I have seen your sentence almost verbatim many times. 50% of the time from the left about the right, and 50% reversed.

In fact your sentence does not even INTERNALLY make any sense. The whole liberal perspective is about trusting people to make their own choices. To have more liberal laws on things like drugs and sex and sexuality because they trust people to make the right choices when they have that choice. It is often the more right ring types that want a nanny state that makes those choices for them.

So it simply does not parse to generalize an entire group of people, whos world view is about giving choice BACK to the people, as not trusting anyone. The exact opposite appears to be true. It is that trust and respect for other humans that fuels their liberal ideas on laws and society.

So put away the fantasy demons and demonization and dehumanization. Realize that you are, in both camps, all humans striving for ESSENTIALLY the same things (good education, good jobs, a comfortable life, healthy children, good medicine) but you differ only in how you think those things can be achieved.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
You do realize that this kind of partisan generalization makes YOU the very thing you just called them?

This partisan politics is alien to me as someone who does not live in the US. I observe this way you guys simply just hate and generalize the other side and I can not map it onto my world or experience in any way.

I guess as what many people call an atheist I see SOME of that kind of animosity between the atheist and theist camps, with insulting and dehumanizing generalizations made by some people on both sides. But even there it does not reach the level of ire and hatred I see in american politics.

My own experience of Americans, from both camps, is that they all essentially want the same things, have the same goals, and have their hearts in the same place. They just differ on the details of HOW to achieve them.

But when I see a sentence like yours..... I just can not map it on to reality in any way. Especially when both sides are saying the EXACT same things about the the other sides. I have seen your sentence almost verbatim many times. 50% of the time from the left about the right, and 50% reversed.

In fact your sentence does not even INTERNALLY make any sense. The whole liberal perspective is about trusting people to make their own choices. To have more liberal laws on things like drugs and sex and sexuality because they trust people to make the right choices when they have that choice. It is often the more right ring types that want a nanny state that makes those choices for them.

So it simply does not parse to generalize an entire group of people, whos world view is about giving choice BACK to the people, as not trusting anyone. The exact opposite appears to be true. It is that trust and respect for other humans that fuels their liberal ideas on laws and society.

So put away the fantasy demons and demonization and dehumanization. Realize that you are, in both camps, all humans striving for ESSENTIALLY the same things (good education, good jobs, a comfortable life, healthy children, good medicine) but you differ only in how you think those things can be achieved.
Where are you from?

I am an American, and when I see a sentence like that, I do my best to simply ignore it. I like to think most Americans are not represented by the likes of all you describe in negative terms, although electing Trump makes all Americans suspect of all that makes for notions of the "ugly American." In fact, I like to think that most good Americans are not reflected in this forum in general, but frankly, now, I just don't know who most Americans really are...

Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
I believe many today share your sentiments.

We seem to live in a country with two realities...those who watch only FOX news and those that only watch CNN. Kind of like the difference of living in North Korea vs South Korea. The irony is here in America we have the freedom to listen to both sides yet some choose not to. Compromise has become a dirty word rather than an opportunity to unite.
I listen to the PBS Newshour, about as balanced as I have found, or please tell me which is better. Plus, no commercials...

We've certainly got our problems, no doubt, but I'm just back from Thailand, and although Thailand is a great country to visit, there too I am reminded of how lucky Americans really are and how much we take for granted. Hopefully this political process our founding fathers put in motion will continue to serve us well, along with all our other natural resources and advantages, but who doesn't wonder over the course of these last few decades whether our founding fathers could have foreseen corporations becoming people, 300 million guns in the hands of civilians, nut bags shooting up schools and theaters, and Presidents. 9/11, invading countries in search of WMD, mindless terrorism, campaigns for Federal office running into the many millions of dollars, too many...

What might our founding fathers think to do today I wonder. Somehow I don't think electing Trump would be their answer...

Old 11-09-2016, 01:17 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right, why should people be less insulting of other people? Who says racism is a bad thing? What does civility get us when people who are rude and loud get all the attention? Why should anyone care about women's rights, minority and religious rights? Not our fault they weren't born Christian white males!

Down with the "PC police!" Hurray for an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization, AKA fascism.
nationalistic is a good thing. You have to protect your own kind. You don't have the right to give away what your ancestors have fought for, you spoiled brat.
Yes, Down with the authoritarian PC police. The same people who advocate PC, at ethe ones who spread hatred against white people and western values, then they tell their victims to shut up. They use FORCE to suppress opposition.

"why should people be less insulting of other people?"
anyone who doesn't want his home to evaporate are called racist and islamophobe. That is the most insulting thing anyone can come up with. You don't like insulting hate speech, then stop your own insulting hate speech.

"...rude and loud get all the attention?"
typical left wing SJWs are loud and rude and getting all the attention from the MSM.
All your charges against conservatives and Trump actually don't apply to them (us), but rather to far left extremist SJW terrorist traitors.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:28 PM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Progressives are so insecure that they insist on labeling everyone and everything. Calling Trump a misogynist is a misnomer. A misogynist hates woman. Trump might be old school and talks dirty to impress men with dated macho bravado. He maybe rough around the edges but he loves woman.

If he were a misogynist he would NOT be married. As for wanting to exert control over the borders of America..that is normal...a nation is like a private home. The inhabitants own the place.

As for the Muslim issue...all he said was do not bring people into the country that hate Americans.

I have Muslim friends who call themselves moderates. They are good people.

My biggest concern is still the old establishment who's personal wealth depends on the sale of war supplies and weaponry...a class of parasites who wage war for profit...at the expense of what some think is a disposable military...that generates refugees.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:06 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I have no hatred toward Trump. I just think he's going to screw up this country far more than it's screwed up now. And while I doubt that I will ever be in the same room as Trump, if the man ever tried to grab me by my private parts, president or not, I'd break his hand off and feed it to him. The resulting lawsuit would be worth it.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:52 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Where are you from?
Ireland.

Quote:
I am an American, and when I see a sentence like that, I do my best to simply ignore it. I like to think most Americans are not represented by the likes of all you describe in negative terms
Did I anywhere claim they are?? As I said it was the POSITIVE terms that I used that I think represent the americans I have met and experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies