Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 09:18 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
...it is hard to explain such a complex viewpoint in a few sentences. Suffice it to say - if you don't see a difference in society today .. a difference from how it was 30 or 40 years ago .. I probably can't make you understand....
It's really not all that complex. I was around 40 years ago and I can tell you how things have changed.

40 years ago white men ruled.

Men could beat their wives and kids and no one said boo about it. Kids came to school with whip marks and and broken arms. Women tried to hide black eyes with make-up. Lot of claims about stair mishaps.

Sexually assaults were usually shrugged off. Many children, girls and boys alike, were sexually assaulted on a regular basis. When I grew up, any woman who was raped was "just asking for it."

Oddly enough, carrying a wallet was not "just asking" to be robbed, but wearing a short skirt was just asking to be assaulted. Go figure.

Girls did not play sports. Women at West Point or Annapolis? Not a chance.

Married women could not get a credit cards in their own name and most women, married or not, could not get a bank loan without a male co-signer.

Women working full time earned fifty-nine cents to every dollar earned by men.

Help-wanted ads in newspapers were segregated into “Help wanted – women” and “Help wanted- men.” Pages of jobs ads which women could not even apply.

Lots of women were nurses and teachers as many fields didn't even consider female applicants for training or employment.

National Organization for Women (NOW) took it all the way to the Supreme Court to make it possible for a woman to hold any job for which she is qualified.

Women created battered women’s shelters and rape crisis hotlines to care for victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence. They created child care centers so women could work outside their homes.

Women health care professionals opened women’s clinics to provide birth control and family planning counseling.

Others will have to speak to the Black experience, but in general Blacks were treated worse than women. Lots of stories about being refused service, getting beat up, not being allowed to train for or apply for jobs, etc.

I can see why white men would want to go back to the good old days. They ruled the roost.

But I wouldn't want it on a bet.

And I damn sure don't want it for my daughters.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It's really not all that complex. I was around 40 years ago and I can tell you how things have changed.

Men could beat their wives and kids and no one said boo about it. Kids came to school with whip marks and and broken arms. Women tried to hide black eyes with make-up. Lot of claims about stair mishaps.

Sexually assaults were usually shrugged off. Many children, girls and boys alike, were sexually assaulted on a regular basis. When I grew up, any woman who was raped was "just asking for it."

Oddly enough, carrying a wallet was not "just asking" to be robbed, but wearing a short skirt was just asking to be assaulted. Go figure.

Married women could not get a credit cards in their own name and most women, married or not, could not get a bank loan without a male co-signer.

Help-wanted ads in newspapers were segregated into “Help wanted – women” and “Help wanted- men.” Pages of jobs ads which women could not even apply.

Lots of women were nurses and teachers as many fields didn't even consider female applicants for training or employment.

National Organization for Women (NOW) took it all the way to the Supreme Court to make it possible for a woman to hold any job for which she is qualified.

Women created battered women’s shelters and rape crisis hotlines to care for victims of sexual abuse and domestic violence. They created child care centers so women could work outside their homes.

Women health care professionals opened women’s clinics to provide birth control and family planning counseling.

Others will have to speak to the Black experience, but in general Blacks were treated worse than women. Lots of stories about being refused service, getting beat up, not being allowed to train for or apply for jobs, etc.

I can see why white men would want to go back to the good old days. They ruled the roost.

So well said. Bravo.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I have yet to see true confidence from or in either party because nobody had called off the dogs yet
Again: The only obvious consequence of "calling off the dogs" is to prompt the opposing candidate to latch onto the original candidate having done so to make up some inane closing argument talking point about the original candidate. At this point in the election, you don't want to do anything that gives your opponent anything new to talk about.

So what you're saying here has no significance whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
When Donald or Hillary wins this thing, that person will thank the voters for their support and/or participation, then they will appeal to integrating with and reaching out to the other side. I'm sure most of us here won't do that, can't do that, aren't wired for that. Why do I say that? It's all I remember seeing since Nixon was in office.
Except that that's what many of my liberal friends and I have been saying since August: Highlighting the need to integrate and reach out to the other side, underscoring how that having done that on a number of occasions is what distinguishes our candidate from her opponent. Clinton is talking today about being a President of all Americans not just those who voted for her.

Perhaps your misperception stems from a misunderstanding about what reaching out to the other side means. It means the other side having a seat at the table to express their concerns, to constructively contribute to the crafting of the solutions. So much of the Republican MO in the last ten years has been obstructionism, so it would be natural for Trump supporters and Republicans to perceive that "reaching out" to them is kowtowing to rightist obstruction with impunity. That's not integrating. That's "I lost so make me feel better by doing what I want instead of what you were elected to do". That's what happened in 2008. It's what happened in 2012. And remarkably it didn't happen in 2000 or 2004, despite your claims to the contrary.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Perhaps your misperception stems from a misunderstanding about what reaching out to the other side means. It means the other side having a seat at the table to express their concerns, to constructively contribute to the crafting of the solutions.
Exactly.

You are included in the discussion, your concerns are taken into consideration.

You don't get to call the shots.

Quote:
So much of the Republican MO in the last ten years has been obstructionism, so it would be natural for Trump supporters and Republicans to perceive that "reaching out" to them is kowtowing to rightist obstruction with impunity. That's not integrating. That's "I lost so make me feel better by doing what I want instead of what you were elected to do".
A good example is this nonsense of refusing to vet a new Supreme Court Justice. Republicans are already announcing that not only are they not going to vet the current nominee, if Clinton wins, they are not going to vet any of her nominees for the next four or eight years, how ever long it takes..

This is not how sane people govern.

Quote:
That's what happened in 2008. It's what happened in 2012. And remarkably it didn't happen in 2000 or 2004, despite your claims to the contrary.
Yep.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-07-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
I think Hillary supporters are spiking the ball on the one yard line.

Comey's latest letter: Letter From F.B.I. Related to Clinton Email Case

The one sentence everyone has danced around:
During that process, we reviewd all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State.

Team Hillary's "intent" in setting up the server most likely occurred prior to her taking office.

Methinks the investigation is still ongoing.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Exactly.

You are included in the discussion, your concerns are taken into consideration.

You don't get to call the shots.

A good example is this nonsense of refusing to vet a new Supreme Court Justice. Republicans are already announcing that not only are they not going to vet the current nominee, if Clinton wins, they are not going to vet any of her nominees for the next four or eight years, how ever long it takes..

This is not how folks govern.

Yep.
Did you send the same memo to Democrats? Reid is well known for obstructionism, for example. He wrote the handbook on it.

A good example from a couple years back:
How Democrats Play the Obstruction Game - The Atlantic

Republicans are not the only ones playing these kinds of games. Senate Democrats are engaging in the same political gamesmanship that they have been decrying. They just conveniently forget that when they criticize Republicans.

And here's something that affects us daily; again Dem obstructionism shows they don't care.

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/...A-9CDB3BE9FC88

Old 11-07-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Did you send the same memo to Democrats? Reid is well known for obstructionism, for example. He wrote the handbook on it.
No, he certainly did not write the handbook on it.

Did he refuse to vet a Supreme Court nominee? Did he lead 60+ votes against any Republican legislation? Did he go tooth and toenail after Bush and Cheney for treason like Newt went after Clinton for a blow job?

Reid is amateur in the game of obstructionism.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Good boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
She should be in Jail as well as many others.
Well, that's what you've been told to say.

So you say it.

Quote:
The only thing that has changed is that your party and your government has confirmed itself to be rogue and criminally corrupt.
Sounds like you'd better alert Fox "News." They need to know about this.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:

I realize a lot has changed over 40 years. All of what you listed can be said about societies of any other race. Western countries, which have been mostly white, have led the world in evolving towards supporting women's rights.

Would you want your daughters to live in a societies in the Middle East, Africa, or Latin America?

I'm not condoning how things were for women 50 years ago in the US. But this is a world wide issue and you making this about WHITE men, instead of men, is racist.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Hillary talks of nothing else but Trump? My god, cankles sounds like a freaking loon and has NOT spoken about ANY of her so called "Accomplishments (There are none) Any time she opened her thunderous mouth any time in the last month.. Total freakin embarrasment
Hillary has been speaking only policy and when she has been out these past several days and would have only spoken policy for the duration of this election cycle if Trump stuck to the issues, but he isn't normal or very intelligent so he is unable to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies