Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times

Advertisements

LinkedIn tries to create more inclusive workplace culture as diversity lags
More and more giant companies are trying to make their workplaces more "diverse" because they are made up primarily of whites, and Asians.

Well... maybe that's because they are more QUALIFIED

I know first-hand the academic commitment and work ethic that many Asian cultures have. In China, highschool kids get 1 day of a MONTH and go to school from morning 'til evening. OF COURSE they're going to take better positions. And now they're being shoved aside to make room for "diversity"?

I know a few black people who are very qualified and have correspondingly desirable positions. Why can't other minorities take their lead and study/work hard, instead of waiting on the system to pity them and give them a free ride?

So now companies are going to lower the quality of their output for the sake of diversity? This has gotten to the point to where it's becoming counter-productive.

Last edited by DonJuanQuixote; 11-07-2016 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
White proportion about equal to population.
Asians massively over-represented. They must be fired. Work schmerk. Its about justice.

/end sarcasm

Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
What is the point of this thread?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:16 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Companies care about profit margin & customers care about quality of work so even if you get hired despite being unqualified, you wont last long when you fail to deliver. Private companies wont put up with unproductive workers. Might work in govt jobs as its tax payers money but private companies are all about profit/loss

Old 11-07-2016, 07:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Companies care about profit margin & customers care about quality of work so even if you get hired despite being unqualified, you wont last long when you fail to deliver. Private companies wont put up with unproductive workers. Might work in govt jobs as its tax payers money but private companies are all about profit/loss
That's the way it's supposed to work but tech companies are getting hammered by the PC crowd for lack of diversity, specifically low black and female participation. The fact that a low percentage of blacks and females seek those degrees is irrelevant to them.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I also don't understand the point of the thread. Is this a way to b**ch and moan about a specific company seeking to increase diversity of their staff or a way to say that no black or hispanic IT workers are "qualified" ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I agree with this to a point. IMO companies primarily hire based on networking and not really "profit margin" or "quality of work."

People get jobs with a specific tech company many times because that company recruits from specific universities. Or they get jobs at a specific company because they know someone who works for that company and that person gives them a reference.

IMO most people who apply for specific jobs are "qualified" no matter their ethnic background. For people to think that black and/or hispanic people seeking jobs in the IT/IS field are not "qualified" based on their ethnicity, then those people doing the perceiving need to acknowledge their internal racial biases.

It is a good thing IMO that more tech companies are starting to see that they are ignoring qualified, potential employees who are not white or Asian.

IMO being white or Asian does not mean that someone is more qualified to work in IT/IS, nor does it mean they are more productive or have better customer service skills. FWIW, most of the Asian people I've interacted with in IT have poor customer service skills in particular. Many of them are fine, but most have poor customer service skills that I've interacted with both in-person and over the phone.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's the way it's supposed to work but tech companies are getting hammered by the PC crowd for lack of diversity, specifically low black and female participation. The fact that a low percentage of blacks and females seek those degrees is irrelevant to them.
On the bold, the fact of the matter is that even those black, female, and hispanic graduates have very low levels of being hired in Sillicon Valley, much lower than the percentage of those graduating.

FWIW, this thread IMO is seeking to perpetuate the idea that Asian American and white Americans are "more qualified" (i.e. "superior") to black, female, and hispanic technology professionals. It is interesting to me, but not surprising.

I'll also note that there was a thread about this within the past 8 months that didn't start off in such a discriminatory manner.

More Black Tech Majors Needed.....

Post #5 mentioned in that thread mentioned how "cliquey" the tech field can be. I personally feel that companies are starting to acknowledge this. Cliques and groups of professional networks many times can exclude those of other genders or ethnicities and IMO these "diversity" campaigns by many tech companies are those firms taking note of this and seeking to break up the cliques and automatic hiring of people associated with only specific universities or who are personal references of current employees.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My team at work isn't very diverse. 95% of them are from India. I feel like the token American.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:52 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
95% Indians and add couple of Chinese - There you have the diversity.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 AM

44 posts, read 25,104 times
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Affirmative action is a good thing but humans ALWAYS take everything way too far. Americans in particular don't know moderation. I will give some relevant examples in my life...

I worked for a good company that was doing good. We had about 20 branches nationwide in major cities. At some point there was a huge lawsuit over discrimination. The CEO left and they hired a new CEO who just so happened to be a white female, nothing wrong with that. Except for the fact everyone in the entire company knew she was an affirmative action hire. There were a good 20 men more qualified than her that they passed up. She already had a track record of failure with the little experience she had. None of this stopped her from making radical changes to the company.

Now this particular job was door to door sales, in Wisconsin, in January, let that sink in. Our team had 15 people, all of us white males. We had been trying to hire women for years but they would always quit after there first day. Very few minorities lived in the city we were in. She passed down orders that we would all have to spend 2 hours a day before work doing racial and sexual harassment sensitivity training before we hit the field. This costed my branch alone MILLIONS of dollars, and hurt all of our sales and bonuses, average wage went down 25% cause if we don't knock doors we don't get paid. On top of that it hurt morale. Every day I went to work I felt so stupid having to do exercises on how to avoid micro aggressions based on race and gender with only other white men.

She also sent down word to ONLY consider minorities or women for employment to diversify the workplace. Here's a problem with that. Women do not want to ride 6 deep in a van in January than hop out in negative 10 weather to knock of strangers doors in ruff neighborhoods. We had been trying hard to recruit women for years and they always leave soon as they realize what we really do. So we started aggressively recruiting black men. My boss told me that it was imperative for our own survival at this company that we hire blacks. The company did not care that our city was only 3% black. We needed to have at least 4 blacks or women in the office or we would all lose our jobs, and sense women were not working out, we should try to stack at least 6 blacks in the office. We were given a sales script and told to approach every black men who was not begging for change who did not have face tattoos and persuade him to join our company.

For the next few months we interviewed about 25 people and 15 were black men, hired every single one. It did not matter, of you applied and you were black you were hired on the spot. We even had a joke in the office "he's white" meant the applicant was not hired and "he's black" meant he's hired cause it was really that cut and dry, and the first week on the job we would all go out to eat together and the boss would pay for your food, we were desperate. But it backfired. Every black man quit within a few days, many there first day, except 2 guys. One would come to work high every day and argue and threaten potential customers, he even kicked ones door hard and broke it. He would also drink liquor in the field, didn't matter, he was black, we needed him and I suspect he knew it. The other that stayed would constantly make racial remarks that would make everyone uncomfortable. We kept him though because of course he was black.

All in all it didn't matter. We didn't meet the quota and the CEO fired 12 of the 17 that worked there (kept both the black guys and make the weed smoking wino one with anger problems boss) we were the best performing branch in the company till she took over than we became the worst. Within a year of the firing of us the Branch went completely under. Everyone lost there jobs. That location no longer exists and the company is about the quarter of the size it was before and went from thriving to really struggling to survive.

That's a real life example of unrealistic affirmative action being taken too far and hurting everyone.

Last edited by MulletMan; 11-07-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies