Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should She Be Able To Wear the Shirt Without Facing Suspension?
Yes, of course! Freedom of Speech baby! 87 85.29%
No, Remove the Shirt! It is un-appropriate and you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion. 15 14.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OK, I get it.
The girl who wore the anti-hillary T-shirt, said nothing and did nothing, was "disruptive"!
The girls who mouthed off about those awful racist trump supporters were merely exercising their "freedom of speech", and were in no way, shape, or form disruptive.
Got it! Thank you for that clarification.
It is nice to know how the double standard works, in case I ever find myself in that position.
And if you bring a makeshift bomb and bring it to a school, you can get invited to the Whitehouse for being enlightened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:28 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm glad you're not in charge of my district. I want a well disciplined student body where education is the goal. Teachers need to be able to keep students focused on their studies, and I want to give them the discretion and authority to do so. Most K-12 teachers want an orderly classroom where they can do their jobs.
So we tolerate bullies, and empower them with the ability to intimidate other students?

What else should a school allow the bullies to control in our schools? If the bullies don't like certain colors because their gang doesn't like them, do we force kids to remove that offensive clothing too?

You are only encouraging a sort of mob rule mentality, where people with one point of view can use the power of government to force others to comply to their desires, or suffer the consequences.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Or maybe not have students wearing deliberately disruptive shirts. Politically charged shirts are disruptive because they cause arguments.
So does a kid wearing a sports team shirt for a team your favorite team competes against.

Like I said, when do the bullies get told to suck it up, behave themselves, and accept that other people might have opinions they don't agree with?

When do we start teaching kids to live in a society where everyone has rights, liberty and the right to pursue happiness? After they graduate college, when the bullies think they are allowed to rule the world, and punish anyone with an opinion they do not agree with?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So we tolerate bullies, and empower them with the ability to intimidate other students?

What else should a school allow the bullies to control in our schools? If the bullies don't like certain colors because their gang doesn't like them, do we force kids to remove that offensive clothing too?

You are only encouraging a sort of mob rule mentality, where people with one point of view can use the power of government to force others to comply to their desires, or suffer the consequences.
This sort of argument would be valid IF one side was allowed, but not the other. In this case, it's no shirts of this nature are allowed.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh dear Lord. To the people who posted below:
First of all, to those of you making it personal by saying, "But you'd be okay with...." you have a reading comprehension problem. I never stated I was okay, or not okay with anything. I've calmly explained the way schools operate.

Secondly, some of you keep talking about free speech, and being allowed to say this or that. Nowhere is it stated that the school is infringing on the rights to say anything, they're just enforcing that they have a dress code.

Jesus H. Christ - you're ticked off because schools have dress codes? Calm the hell down, some of you are acting liked drama queens. There are more important fish to fry than this.

Personally, since it was brought up here - I DOUBT the school would have an issue with anyone wearing a shirt saying Clinton or Trump. They probably encourage the discourse that goes along with taking a side. But it sounds like they won't allow a 'Hillary for Prison' shirt, just as they probably wouldn't allow a shirt saying 'Trump for Prison'.

I can find no ruling stating that a school must prove that clothing actually caused disruption. What I have found are rulings stating that not all free speech is protected in a school setting. That schools have a right to ban certain clothing, and in fact, I'm linking to an article from 2015 stating that the Supreme Court 'stepped aside' and allowed California schools to ban American flag t-shirts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a64_story.html

And an article from 2014, where a judge ruled freedom of speech was not being violated and that it wasn't the court's role to second guess the school.

Court rules school can ban American flag shirts to avoid racial strife | Fox News

Now let's be realistic. This has been THE most inflammatory election ever. People who typically get along are not speaking to one another, family members are turning against family members, etc. People are angry, bitter and passionate about their beliefs and have no problem being aggressive.

THIS THREAD ALONE PROVES THAT POINT!!!!

As a former principal, I think you can respect the need to balance freedom of expression among the students, with the need to remain civil in their discourse.

I believe the school would be fine with Trump or Clinton shirts, but not shirts that appear to be disrespectful to the other side, so to speak.

And, posters, let's not be naive and pretend that a shirt like that couldn't possibly create a problem within the school. I think if you're being honest, you know better.
Oh dear Lord to the poster who just posted the shirt is inflammatory.
I've calmly stated how your thought process is absurd. Based on the absurd statement YOU made.

YOUR POST THAT I AM QUOTING ALONE PROVES THAT POINT!!!!

Did you just learn a new word today? Inflammatory

Again the only reason you said the shirt was inflammatory was because it exposes your piece of garbage candidate for what she is.

B-b-b-b-ut I was making it about the schools rules. yea riiiiiight
oh my I hope that comment wasn't inflammatory?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
She's nutty because she is against the most corrupt candidate in the last 50 years to get the nomination for a major party? She's not the nutty one here.

Amazing that you think this is about the first amendment. I'm guessing you cannot solve problems since you cannot recognize the correct reason.
You are reading too much into the girls actions, it's a disruption period. You don't get to stand on a pedestal in a public school and advertise what you think is a justified cause. Maybe you would feel the same way if someone had a swastika on a tee shirt?

This nonsense doesn't belong in schools just because some girl thinks she has the right., she should focus on getting an education.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I guarantee they have a policy against disruptive shirts or behaviors, every school does.
So a t shirt promoting mixed marriages is okay now because no one is provoked but 60 years ago it's not okay?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:52 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So a t shirt promoting mixed marriages is okay now because no one is provoked but 60 years ago it's not okay?
If you found a shirt like that, and brought it to school, I would also call that inappropriate.

For what it's worth "freedom of speech" is not what this is for. Freedom of speech is to prevent punishment from the government for inflammatory speech. This is not to allow you to bring whatever shirt (no matter how disruptive) to school.

School is for learning, not for disruptions. Coming in with a politically charged shirt is disruptive, period. Freedom of Speech need not apply. If "Freedom of Speech" is your argument, then you are bastardizing the purpose behind the concept.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are reading too much into the girls actions, it's a disruption period.
So you think she's doing something to be disruptive and not make a political point? What proof do you have of this?

Quote:
You don't get to stand on a pedestal in a public school and advertise what you think is a justified cause.
Which is it? A justified cause or being disruptive? I guess it depends on who your candidate is?
And whatever you do don't hold the students who are being disrupted accountable. Because a t shirt made them do it. Those poor, poor school kids.

Quote:
Maybe you would feel the same way if someone had a swastika on a tee shirt?
Depends what else is on that shirt.
T shirt bad
but this is okay?
“There was a group of girls in there who started talking really loudly and kind of obnoxiously about how awful Trump supporters are and how they are all racist and saying some really ignorant things,” said Yeakle.

If you are going to say the teacher should punish those girls too then at least you'd be consistent.
Quote:
This nonsense doesn't belong in schools just because some girl thinks she has the right., she should focus on getting an education.
She'd be wrong to say she has a right, but do you have proof she did say or think that? I didn't read it in the article.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
This sort of argument would be valid IF one side was allowed, but not the other. In this case, it's no shirts of this nature are allowed.
So, whatever the bullies don't like, must be banned!!

...and the bullies win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies