Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times

Advertisements

I'm in a position where I don't think it matters if trump or Hillary wins. American decline will continue, the rate is all that might differ.

For those of us who don't believe in the country, system, media or government at all anymore, what should we do? Ignore it all and focus on other things we enjoy? Are there passive aggressive ways we can give the media, government and other elites the finger? Sit back and enjoy the spectacle of a society falling into the oblivion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 12:37 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm in a position where I don't think it matters if trump or Hillary wins. American decline will continue, the rate is all that might differ.

For those of us who don't believe in the country, system, media or government at all anymore, what should we do? Ignore it all and focus on other things we enjoy? Are there passive aggressive ways we can give the media, government and other elites the finger? Sit back and enjoy the spectacle of a society falling into the oblivion?
I'd say my #1 priority is focusing on the things I and my family enjoy. Has led to a relatively happy life so far so I'm gonna keep rolling with it.

The best passive aggressive way to give the finger to the establishment is to vote third party - you wont win but if enough people do it will send a message. I face-palm every time someone says they are voting anti-establishment by voting for one of the 2 parties that have been in power for going on two centuries.
That does not send an anti-establishment message - it sends the exact same message we have been sending for a long time - that people will place more importance on their team winning than on what is actually good for the nation.

For the third question I'd redirect you to my first answer. Take care of yourself, your friends, and your family, do your best to make your and their lives enjoyable. Politics seems like the end of the world sometimes but life goes on, just like it has for all of history.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
Well it doesnt matter what you believe in because actions speak louder than words. You are paying taxes, high healthcare premiums, following the law so you are contributing towards the govt, whether you like it or not. If you are opposed to something then voice your opinion by voting.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:43 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:

Take up a hobby. Stay off the computer and turn off the news.

Enjoy life as much as possible and pray for your kids.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Well it doesnt matter what you believe in because actions speak louder than words. You are paying taxes, high healthcare premiums, following the law so you are contributing towards the govt, whether you like it or not. If you are opposed to something then voice your opinion by voting.
Voting assumes that voting actually matters. Even if voting does matter, the media propagandists so much that most people don't even know what they really think.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
Quote:
Voting assumes that voting actually matters. Even if voting does matter, the media propagandists so much that most people don't even know what they really think.
I still vote despite media propaganda & electoral colleges. I put lot of research in local candidates & issues as well as they directly impact me. If I dont voice my opinion then I shouldn't complain either.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:56 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I do not know what the youth will do, but it will be via tweet - no- honestly we have sold their country for our own selfish gain of wealth- cash highest bidder trumps all - we don't care where they are from-long as we get cash- we don't care who makes the tie, as long as we get more cash out of it- we don't care if some neighbors can't eat- it s their own fault---
you just sold your house to the Chinese, kids get nothing to hold on to- and they are buying the block- setting up shop and buying your small business bye Felecia--- is what they will say...one day-

Old 11-08-2016, 01:27 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:

Take solace in your deep pessimism.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:19 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Follow Abe Lincoln's advice and realize "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be"

Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 PM

307 posts, read 245,730 times
Quote:

Yep, I'm just gonna do things as I always have.... keep a low profile, work, take care of my family, enjoy the things I enjoy. I've always been a bit of an introvert and somewhat anti-social anyway. We live on a nice private 3 acre parcel of land surrounded by beautiful trees, so once I'm home I can pretty much forget about the rest of the world.

now I just have to dig that moat and fill it with alligators.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies