Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 06:40 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm really not sure we've EVER done anything even close to this before!
Yep. This one could cost us our democracy. For sure, our standing as a world leader is gone. That is going to have far reaching consequences.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:42 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course America will survive.

No need for dramatics here.

The Pubs have all the reins on Jan 20th and let's all hope they handle them wisely. Even if they don't, America is a lot bigger than one election.

Well "Gringo", you will have lower taxes, less regulations, enforcement of the actual rule of law and more personal liberty.

Given that libs are totalitarians by nature, they hate most of the above and pine for a feudal state in which "enlightened elites" preside over a slave class of citizens.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yep. This one could cost us our democracy. For sure, our standing as a world leader is gone. That is going to have far reaching consequences.

Our standing is not gone. If anything, some countries should be concerned that the US may not bend over for them any longer. We won't sit back and watch our money get funneled into their countries with no benefit to our people. For once, we have a chance at taking care of our people here. He's a businessman before a politician and a successful one at that. He failed, got back up, failed again, got back up, and finally made something of himself. He may not have all the answers (no one does) but he has been affected as have we by the policies Obama put into place.

For once the American people's voices were actually HEARD. He's on the chopping block to put up or shut up. So just as all the Dems screamed to give Obama a chance.... (and we did... twice) you now have to give Trump a chance. This is uncharted territory that we are in. NOW we have a chance for change. We just need to give it some time and see what Trump tries to with the opportunity the American people has given him.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:46 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The irony is that Trump has no ideology. So while Hillary had hers, Sanders his, and the various Republican primary candidates theirs, Trump remained on tone with a basic message.

Will he likely build a wall? No. But maybe he can listen to both sides and sell a solution to the American people.

Will he deport all illegal aliens? No, because the cost would exceed the benefit. But maybe we can find a solution.

Will he rip up trade agreements? Unlikely, but maybe he can get us a better deal.

Do I think Trump will focus on enriching himself and the 0.01%? Also unlikely, but he may wring some concessions out - give me X and I will support Y.

Will he push the button and start WWIII? Ludicrous.

Obama never seemed to do more than cater to foreign opinion and negotiate as if we were the weaker party. When your leader is your chief apologist it is hard to bargain hard.

We need to get more for our tax dollar.
It is his willingness to "deal" with both sides as to why I think he is a problem. The progressives offer nothing that is in tune with the original intent of this country. All they have are suggestions and plans to change the country into something it legally and ethically can not be (which is why we have so many problems from their progressive polices over the years). So dealing (ie seeing their ideas through) with the progressives is bad on all counts.

At worst we get another progressive for 4 years, at best we get some key constitutionally positive changes that helps to protect from the further corruption and take over of the country.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The President has very little real power. Trump is a moron, the bigger concern is having both houses also controlled by Republicans. Fortunately they'll have no excuses in 4 years if the policies they implement dont' do jack or screw things up.
4 years into it Obama was still blaming Bush for everything under the sun.

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
To the OP, "Embarrassed to be an American today"

I have two things to say to you, (Quoting michelle) " I have never been more proud of my Country"

and I'm embarrassed THAT you are an American !

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course America will survive.

No need for dramatics here.

The Pubs have all the reins on Jan 20th and let's all hope they handle them wisely. Even if they don't, America is a lot bigger than one election.
America will not survive unless we deal with the cancer that is killing individual liberty. If we don't take care of that, this country will be lost.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well "Gringo", you will have lower taxes, less regulations, enforcement of the actual rule of law and more personal liberty.

Given that libs are totalitarians by nature, they hate most of the above and pine for a feudal state in which "enlightened elites" preside over a slave class of citizens.
We'll see.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:51 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
He already took back his promise to build a wall. Anyway, it was studied quite some time ago and it's physically impossible to build a wall there. He can't do it and already said he won't do it. He was just saying what people wanted to hear.

And the country can't afford to round them all up and deport them either. So that won't happen. But getting something done about illegal immigration appealed to Conservatives and Liberals alike. Really, not too many approve of people breaking our laws and getting away with it.

Many people will lose their health insurance if he repeals ACA and he has no plan to put in its place. The Rich will be just fine but poorer people and retired people who needed some help with medical expenses are up the creek. A medical voucher system isn't going to help low income people who don't have the income in the first place.

People with a lot of money can relax and say everything will be fine. It's always fine for them no matter what.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:52 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I hope our country will survive this.
welcome to our world.... looks like you have two left shoes.... evidently I have your right shoe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies